[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

state of the union thread

dmarc117

Why are the classes taught in Spanish?

Bi-lingual Spanish immersion. By the time the kids finish 8th grade they are fluent in both English and Spanish, written and spoken. You start out in Kindergarten teaching 100% in Spanish. 1st grade its 90/10, 2nd grade 80/20, and so on. By the time you get to High School everything is taught in English.

Like it or not, America speaks more than one language. EVERYONE should know English. But in California (and other states), it won't be long until half the state also speaks Spanish... like it used to. (Names like San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Jose, San Diego, Santa Rosa, etc. didn't exactly come from the Germans). I can pretend that isn't happening, or I can equip my children to succeed in that not-so-distant future. The kids will also be well-suited to learn additional languages in the future, if they want. I also needed someone to help me negotiate with the day laborers at Home Depot.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also needed someone to help me negotiate with the day laborers at Home Depot.

By doing this you are simply putting another American out of work :wacko:

By doing this you are simply putting another American out of work :wacko:

If there was an American who was willing to work as hard for as little as the guys at down at Home Depot, the guys wouldn't be down at Home Depot. (In all honestly, I do virtually all my own work).

• 11 months later...
And we are on track to add another one and a half million jobs to this total by the end of the year.

The plan that has made all of this possible, from the tax cuts to the jobs, is the Recovery Act. That's right -- the Recovery Act, also known as the Stimulus Bill. Economists on the left and the right say that this bill has helped saved jobs and avert disaster. But you don't have to take their word for it.

That is why jobs must be our number one focus in 2010

:wacko:

You guys are creating a fallacious argument here. Saying no to expanding government when you have no power to do anything else is NOT mutually exclusive of wanting to do other things. Just like others on these boards have said, the heffalumps in congress do have ideas but aren't being allowed a seat at the table. And that little summit they had, when Barry said "The election's over John, I won!" isn't exactly conducive to bi-partisanship, is it?

So, the point remains. You're in opposition and there are two roads open to you. One is complete resistance to everything, which is where the GOP is now (the party of NO). The other is to try to influence what goes through (bipartisanship).

The problem with the latter isn't so much that it would let through some things the GOP might not like. The problem as they see it is that Obama might get the credit. Their real problem is that by the time November rolls around, people may well have started to realize that obstructionism isn't an electable policy and the GOP may not get the landslide it seems to be expecting.

I honestly believe that the rights plan is to say NO to everything. They want Obama to fail at all costs and the best way to do that is to vote NO on anything the left proposes. The first example of this is when the GOP went behind closed doors to make sure that they ALL voted NO to the stimulous bill. For many the vote didn't have anything to do with the bill itself - for many the 'no' vote was political. Congressman who had been open to the bill walked out of that meeting in lock step with their GOP colligues.

You have to wonder how much money is being wasted by making this take up so much time and review. Time for discussion and a good review is important, but these items have had nothing to do with time this is taking. How long has Congress been trying? How many people is this taking up time for? How many aides? How much time, effort and money are people investing in propaganda.

You'd think that if it was about money - we'd have gotten something done and have moved on to the next issue so additional real and needed changes could be made