[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

state of the union thread

dmarc117

Terrorists are common criminals . . . . wasnt the McVeigh given a trial? :wacko: You cant declare war against a noun.

That POS was a citizen. I think you have to give citizens their rights, but if they aren't citizens, as far as I'm concerned they do not qualify for our constitutional rights. Just my opinion.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much agree with most of what you wrote, with the exception of the health care, unless it goes through some major revisions. I agree with you on what you said about the rebuttal, but would say that is pretty typical of a rebuttal. The last president to try to intimidate the court like that was the only one to come close to rivaling him in spend, FDR. The only other one that comes to mind is Lincoln, and he divided the country.

What I posted on health care was that it is the right thing to do . . . but the BILL needs fixing to better address areas of concern. I will edit my earlier post.

Terrorists are common criminals . . . . wasnt the McVeigh given a trial? :wacko: You cant declare war against a noun.

McDonnell and Bush put terrorists on public trial.....he's full of it calling out Obama and Dems for doing the same.

Pathetic! And just more of the Me attitude of the Repub Party. They keep it up, they will lose any gains they may

have recently made come election times. Meanwhile, the people get the shaft.....

That POS was a citizen. I think you have to give citizens their rights, but if they aren't citizens, as far as I'm concerned they do not qualify for our constitutional rights. Just my opinion.

prisons are full of non-citizens that were given a fair trial, rights and now get 3 square a day in the penal system. Unfortunately that precedence has been LOOOONG established in the US.

Not that it is right, just previously established by our case law over` decades of decision . . . tough to overturn that one.

He was an American citizen. He had the right to a trial. Foreign terrorists? Bullet to the head. After waterboarding.

Just goes to show even further what an a$$clown McDonnell is for making that statement.

And he's the best they could do? Send him out for rebuttal?? Ha!

I pretty much agree with most of what you wrote, with the exception of the health care, unless it goes through some major revisions. I agree with you on what you said about the rebuttal, but would say that is pretty typical of a rebuttal. The last president to try to intimidate the court like that was the only one to come close to rivaling him in spend, FDR. The only other one that comes to mind is Lincoln, and he divided the country.

He's not beholden to the judicial branch. All three branches are supposed to balance each other right, remember?

And as far as your comment about deference, he's deferred way to damn much to Pelosi and Reid in the writing of HIS agenda. That's my biggest complaint on the guy. Own your policy initiatives. Don't delegate EVERYTHING.

On the other hand, it's not like he has Alberto Gonzalez running around claiming he's a unitary executive like Bush did.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

They also should not be having a state official give a rebuttal to the state of the union address. It should be a high ranking member of the opposition in the House or Senate. Probably Boehner or McConnell. An outsider really has no say in what is going on in the daily process of Washington politics and is left to rambling on with party platform talking points instead of providing the minority's side of the story.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

They also should not be having a state official give a rebuttal to the state of the union address. It should be a high ranking member of the opposition in the House or Senate. Probably Boehner or McConnell. An outsider really has no say in what is going on in the daily process of Washington politics and is left to rambling on with party platform talking points instead of providing the minority's side of the story.

Wont happen . . those guys are busy being AT the address, and making smart -ass remarks or twittering and they are WAAYYY too concerned with their own jobs.

besides, he was elected 11 days ago, so if he screwed up (like Jindal) he would have the longest time before his job is up for re-election.

they arent our enemies???

They aren't a threat to our sovereignty.

I recall hearing somewhere that Al-Qaeda is actually more of a threat to Muslims than to the US.....http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2009/12/muslims_account_for_85_percent.php

Some of more right-wing citizens should probably be sending money to Al-Qaeda in light of THAT revelation - "keep up the good work guys, we love ya!"

They would criticize Jesus as he's Pro-Life. In fact, they would probably crucify him again.

It would be a lot easier pounding the nails the second time as the holes are already there.

How much deference do you really think Obama has for the separation of powers?

Well, he hasn't repealed any of the stuff W did to get rid of that pesky "separation of powers" idea, but he hasn't continued whittling away at them....so I'd guess he respects it more than the last admin.

prisons are full of non-citizens that were given a fair trial, rights and now get 3 square a day in the penal system. Unfortunately that precedence has been LOOOONG established in the US.

Not that it is right, just previously established by our case law over` decades of decision . . . tough to overturn that one.

I think it IS right to do so - our founding documents are loaded with stuff like "inalienable rights" "all men are created equal" etc.

I think our founders thought that the rights they delineated are those of ALL people regardless of national origin.

I missed the whole dang thing - was in the air. :wacko:

Hopefully they aren't Toyotas.

I rented a Pontiac Vibe (total POS by the way) this week - basically a Toyota Maxis (GM-Toyota joint venture). I no sooner parked the car at the rental place when a guy ran out and wrote "out of serice - recall" on the windsheild. Always makes ya feel good. :D

So you don't agree with the Constitution then? That document provides for the same protections to be provided to anyone under the jurisdiction of the United States as are provided to citizens. That's why Guantanamo was established in the first place.

Ergo, the Detroit Pants Bomber was entitled to be treated as he was since the Constitution says so.

So you don't agree with the Constitution then? That document provides for the same protections to be provided to anyone under the jurisdiction of the United States as are provided to citizens. That's why Guantanamo was established in the first place.

Ergo, the Detroit Pants Bomber was entitled to be treated as he was since the Constitution says so.

Can I get an Article number for this one? I'm curious.

Weren't Confederate Soldiers tried in military courts rather than federal courts? Thus, not given the same rights to trial as regualr US citizens?

FWIW, I think it is the height of hypocrisy to expound upon the rights of individuals as something important and intrinsic to Americans and then not extend those same rights to other individuals. If you are accused of breaking our laws then one should be given trial by the same system that one is accused of violating. Terrorist or not, we as a country have to hold ourselves to the higher standard if we ever wish to regain the moral high ground that we once had.

President Obama's State of the Union address should unnerve Democrats in Congress and throughout the country. It was one of the worst State of the Union addresses in modern times – a stunning thing for a man who won the presidency in large measure based on the power and uplift of his rhetoric.

For those who hoped the president would use this speech as a pivot to the center, a la Bill Clinton in the aftermath of the 1994 mid-term elections, the speech was a major letdown. Much of what he offered up last night was symbolic. His budget freeze on a subset of domestic discretionary spending – which might amount to $15 billion – will hardly put a dent into our $1.35 trillion deficit. His budget commission, which will have no real power or authority, is worthless. His proposal to cut the capital gains tax for small business investment is a step in the right direction – but it will fall far short of what is needed to generate jobs and economic growth. One sensed there was no urgency or passion behind his effort to help small businesses and the private sector.

Get the new

PD toolbar!

At the same time, Obama did not back away from his commitment to pass health care legislation that is incoherent, wildly expensive, unpopular, and which would do enormous damage to our economy. Obama also stuck to his guns on cap-and-trade legislation, which would be a job killer.

I'm just curious, which right wing blowhard did you dig that gem up from dmarc? Because clearly, the writer put more thought into his or her negativity than the issues.

Thats interesting....so if a foreigner visitng our country is falsely accused of committing a crime, law enforement should be allowed to do whatever they want to the individual beause he is not a citizen?

That should do wonders for tourism :wacko:

President Obama's State of the Union address should unnerve Democrats in Congress and throughout the country. It was one of the worst State of the Union addresses in modern times – a stunning thing for a man who won the presidency in large measure based on the power and uplift of his rhetoric.

For those who hoped the president would use this speech as a pivot to the center, a la Bill Clinton in the aftermath of the 1994 mid-term elections, the speech was a major letdown. Much of what he offered up last night was symbolic. His budget freeze on a subset of domestic discretionary spending – which might amount to $15 billion – will hardly put a dent into our $1.35 trillion deficit. His budget commission, which will have no real power or authority, is worthless. His proposal to cut the capital gains tax for small business investment is a step in the right direction – but it will fall far short of what is needed to generate jobs and economic growth. One sensed there was no urgency or passion behind his effort to help small businesses and the private sector.

Get the new

PD toolbar!

At the same time, Obama did not back away from his commitment to pass health care legislation that is incoherent, wildly expensive, unpopular, and which would do enormous damage to our economy. Obama also stuck to his guns on cap-and-trade legislation, which would be a job killer.

your forgot to post a link...

www.slantedrepublicananalysis.com

Thats interesting....so if a foreigner visitng our country is falsely accused of committing a crime, law enforement should be allowed to do whatever they want to the individual beause he is not a citizen?

That should do wonders for tourism :wacko:

Falsley accused of committing a crime? The underpants guy is hardly being falsely accused. He tried to committ a terrorist act. I'll worry about his tourism dollars later.