[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

loaf

By the time I was 4 I had figured out that I could say no and do whatever I want in relation to words. Whats the next step? Talk to me more? What do you do when I look you in the eye and say, NO? What are you going to do when I'm 4 and literally will do nothing you say?

This

Yeah. And right about the same time it became "taboo" for parants to spank their kids, we started seeing kids show up at schools with backpacks full of loaded fire arms.

Funny how that kind of stuff didn't happen back in the days of spankings. I do not condone whiping a 4 year old boy with a stick. Not at all. But this entire notion that we have the right to tell parents not to paddle their kids is ridiculous.

Annnnd this

I'm not defending AP, and it does look like he went overboard, but this is learned behavior. He said himself that he was brought up the same way. It does seem excessive to me, but I wasn't raised like AP.

It is the worst possible timing for this to come out. We might have seen the last of one of the greatest.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

Awesome lost Reed, Eifert and now AP who I guarantee after all the NFL drama gets ze effing hammer.

I'm not defending AP, and it does look like he went overboard, but this is learned behavior. He said himself that he was brought up the same way. It does seem excessive to me, but I wasn't raised like AP.

It is the worst possible timing for this to come out. We might have seen the last of one of the greatest.

Really depends on the time, I was a child in the 80s definitely had my fair share of whoopings, switch, spoon, belt although I do remember when the wooden spoon broke and she grabbed the cutting board I definitely had a WTF moment

Edited by jessay

Yeah. And right about the same time it became "taboo" for parants to spank their kids, we started seeing kids show up at schools with backpacks full of loaded fire arms.

Could you explain exactly how correlations implies causation? I was always taught the opposite and now understand that I am mistaken.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned dodging landmines with your roster this year. That about sums it up. This isn't going away. It's interesting to note that an initial grand jury decided not to press charges against AP. Now, all of a sudden out of nowhere a 2cnd grand jury gets involved and just happens to decide to press charges only 2 days after the Rice video went viral? It's not a coincidence. This kind of crap makes money for the media and everyone involved. Every newspaper sold. Every website visited. Every clicked link. Every channel tuned into.

It is a feeding frenzy. As soon as things start to settle down with AP, there will be another story/suspension. And another. And another.

It will go on untill the masses get tired of hearing about it. It will go on until it becomes old news. It will go on until it quits making money.

And when the dust settles, big spoiled athletes will still be big spoiled athletes. Men that grew up watching their mom's get beat will still beat their wives and men that grew up getting spanked by their parents will continue to spank their children.

The Piranhas fed on the MLB then swam off to hibernate for a while. Now they are feeding on the NFL. They will swim off to hibernate again when the bones are picked dry.

Such is the nature of human kind. Life goes on.

But it still sucks royal arse that I drafted AP with my 1st pick in two leagues because I thought he was going to have a stellar year.

On the brighter side if you read between the lines, it seems as though the vikings may have deactivated AP because he is going to be arrested anyways. He will then post bail and awate his court date. It's possible they deactivated him because they knew he wasn't going to be able to suit up anyways. So they deactivate him and look good in the process. They look "preemptive".

There is a fair chance the NFL will feel compelled to allow the justice system to run it's course before they suspend him. One thing they havne't done yet is act ahead of the law. it would be a nightmare for them to do so if that player was then found innocent. Because then he would sue the NFL. Look at Hardy for Pete's sake. He was found guilty of domestic assault by a judge and the league is still allowing him to play simply because he is appealing the guilty verdict.

There is a reasonable chance that AP only misses one game this year.

Edited by Alphashado

I agree that this is suspect timing. Reeks of a prosecuter who can make a few bucks and a judge that can make a name for themselves. Its unfortunate that his name has $$$ next to it because this type of stuff is nothing to the types of cases that barely make civil cases where I'm from.

• Like 1

listening to some guys on the radio, they say it's a thing of the South, they explained it as a flexible tree branch. Like a cane, kind of.. They said it's the southern equivalent of a belt

A switch is a sapling or sucker that grows on Almond trees here were I live. They are green and tapper to about 1/16" from about 1/2" at it's base. They sting like as son of a.....and will leave little swollen lines on your legs but that's about it. Perfect for pain but leave little long term damage.

I think AP went a little too far, but if you think those pics are bad, then you have never seen what real abuse looks like. There are plenty of hondabag abusers who get caught doing worse than this and get off scott free.

I cut plenty of switches and got plenty of whoopings growing up and deserved them all, but they didn't do a damn thing to deter me acting up. They only trained me to better cover my tracks.

I'm not going to tell anyone how to raise their kids, and parents have the right to spank, but pretty much any credible scientific studies of the effects of spanking show that it has significant negative impact on cognitive and emotional growth and maturity. The papers and books that I have read on the matter are why my kids will never be spanked. There are better ways to correct bad behavior than through violence and intimidation.

• Like 1

Take a look at this... if the info and pics are true this is abuse. I've had switches used on me as a kid an not once did I ever have more than a red mark that went away shortly.

http://minnesota.cbs...or-child-abuse/

Exactly what a switch leaves. should only be on the back of his legs though. Bad move to whip his arms.

You really have to be a lazy pos parent to have to resort to violence to get your point across to any child, let alone a 4 year old. The kid isn't out of control, you are! He did learn a good lesson or two though. Be very afraid of your dad and if you disagree with someone, just give 'em a smack or two. That solves everything. I hope AP sits the 6 at least.

• Like 1

You really have to be a lazy pos parent to have to resort to violence to get your point across to any child, let alone a 4 year old. The kid isn't out of control, you are! He did learn a good lesson or two though. Be very afraid of your dad and if you disagree with someone, just give 'em a smack or two. That solves everything. I hope AP sits the 6 at least.

If you really want to go there, it takes a lazy pos person to generalize a massive number of people into the lazy pos category. Judge lest ye be judged or something like that.

If you really want to go there, it takes a lazy pos person to generalize a massive number of people into the lazy pos category. Judge lest ye be judged or something like that.

Spot on.

Yes, laziness is the reason that words just don't sometimes cut it. Disciplining a child is not abuse.

Can we all agree on that nobody should hit their wife and that it is not common practice anymore to discipline her? Then why should you discipline your daughter?

My grandmother used to come at me with a wooden paddle that she hang on the wall. He was just doing what was done to him. I honestly believe he feels terrible about it. He has been open and remorseful and forthcoming with everyone. He hasn't lied about anything or tried to hide anything.

A dude walked into a convenience store a few years ago on chirstmas eve. After some small talk with the lady working behind the counter, she commented that she had several small children and was hoping to give them the best christmas she could on her meager wages from the store. The guy shocked her by giving her 500 dollars and wishing her a merry christmas. It wasn't until the man had already walked out of the store that another clerk came over and told her the guy was Adrian Perterson. She didn't watch football and had no idea who he was.

There are lots of stories like this about AP. As a packer fan that lives in Wi believe me when I tell you that I don't often support the Vikings. But AP is a good kid.

He watched his brother get run over and killed by a drunk driver when they were riding their bikes as children. I think he is a good man with misguided principals. He just went too far and he immediatly recognized it. I have a feeling that this case isn't going to be as universally appaling as the Rice case. AP is going to have a considerable amount of support from the public. Goodell would be foolish to overreact here.

Edited by Alphashado
  • Like 1

There can be discipline without physical harm. It can even work with dogs, let alone children. Not sure why so many equate spanking with discipline. They are not the same.

Your right, if your dog does something to get himself killed, you can always get another dog. Sometimes kids need a reminder to stay away or do not touch. In my case I was whooped for getting my dads gun out to shoot the dog that ate my squirt gun. You know the one that shoots straight that you can only find in rare purchases. Well needless to say, I didn't touch the gun again and I am not sure who cried more me or my dad for having to do it. I laugh at it now. Fear of the rod saved my ass a few times that I can count.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Not really, because Lazy pos don't do a thing. They just yell a lot and sit on their ass and do nothing at all. It takes time and effort to discipline correctly. Lazy Pos don't care enough to take the time to do anything.

I miss the days where you could go to the mall on Saturdays and watch the show. You know the one where a mom has three kids that are all over the place touching and asking to buy everything. Finally she losses it and pulls the one armed statue of liberty whoopen while the kid stands on his tippy toes hollering. You know the one. Grab the kids wrist with one hand pulling it up in the air, typically the hand with the purse hanging across the arm and slaps the kid up side the head as he tries to avoid the right hand that is tearin his ass up. The kid looks like the statue of liberty trying to escape the hand of mom. Those were the good ole days.

Edited by Cowboyz1

If every parent that took a paddle to their kids arse were to be arrested, the country would come to a stand still and we would have to convert every city to a prison. My mom took a belt to me a few times and you know what? Not only did I deserve it, but I turned out just fine. I guess she would be in prison now.

You're fine in your opinion, which you're entitled to. Was your mommy a 6'1" 220lb 8% body fat professional athlete when she whacked your hiney?

Mine wasn't, but I'm just wondering about you.

Take a look at this... if the info and pics are true this is abuse. I've had switches used on me as a kid an not once did I ever have more than a red mark that went away shortly.

http://minnesota.cbs...or-child-abuse/

I think this will play out in the courts for a long time.. AP's attorney basically said he was forthcoming in the grand jury and that he used the kind of punishment that was used on him as a child in Texas.

The first Grand Jury didn't even indict him.. this was a second Grand Jury (which kind of indicates a hungry/desperate district attorney or attorney general looking for political gain).

That kind of argument might actually win a criminal court case in bumblef*ck, Texas, or Minnesota or Pennsylvania, but in New York (or CA), where the advertising agencies and the networks and the NFL offices reign supreme, this is not even defensible, and multinational companies are putting themselves at risk by being associated with this kind of behavior.

Follow the money. All the pinkwashing and p*ssylaundering the NFL has done over the last ten years (nicely tapered jerseys for her, pink jerseys and ribbons for breast cancer) has essentially been undone in six months.

All that hard work has brought in a sizable female (or "family") audience and a lot of money from advertisers that were not traditionally associated with football (anyone see the gruesome Tide spot that has viewers imagining the smell of Mrs. Drew Brees' filthy yoga pants?... Could you imagine such a spot in the '70s, '80s or even '90s?).

AP is done.

Edited by bpr103

My grandmother used to come at me with a wooden paddle that she hang on the wall. He was just doing what was done to him. I honestly believe he feels terrible about it. He has been open and remorseful and forthcoming with everyone. He hasn't lied about anything or tried to hide anything.

A dude walked into a convenience store a few years ago on chirstmas eve. After some small talk with the lady working behind the counter, she commented that she had several small children and was hoping to give them the best christmas she could on her meager wages from the store. The guy shocked her by giving her 500 dollars and wishing her a merry christmas. It wasn't until the man had already walked out of the store that another clerk came over and told her the guy was Adrian Perterson. She didn't watch football and had no idea who he was.

There are lots of stories like this about AP. As a packer fan that lives in Wi believe me when I tell you that I don't often support the Vikings. But AP is a good kid.

He watched his brother get run over and killed by a drunk driver when they were riding their bikes as children. I think he is a good man with misguided principals. He just went too far and he immediatly recognized it. I have a feeling that this case isn't going to be as universally appaling as the Rice case. AP is going to have a considerable amount of support from the public. Goodell would be foolish to overreact here.

I don't doubt anything you said or his good intentions, but the court of public opinion matters more in this case than the criminal courts.

When those pictures of the child's legs and hands are on Good Morning America, there's just no way the NFL will allow him to take the stage in a nationally televised game.

No Way.

Advertisers will pull out faster than a teen his first time without a rubber.

Like it or not, your dad's belt, my mom's paddle (which she used not only on me but also her students in school in the '60s) or even your dad's switch (if you have the apples-to-apples comparison in your personal experience), does not compare to Adrian Peterson's Switch.

He is in a privileged position that holds him to a higher standard (and rewards him greater) than your granny or my mom or anyone else that at least I have ever met, simply because he represents the multibilion dollar enterprise that is professional football.

At this point, the NFL and NFLPA should be thinking about the cost of refunds for anyone who has bought a Ray Rice or AP jersey directly from the NFL shop.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/CKfL0AuoDa8

Edited by bpr103

Go where? Generalize a massive number of people? Oh, you mean people that strike their child so hard it leaves welts on them? I'm sure you can justify in your own mind why it's ok to do this. If you can't raise and discipline a child without resorting to violence, maybe you should put a bag on it with the mrs.

There can be discipline without physical harm. It can even work with dogs, let alone children. Not sure why so many equate spanking with discipline. They are not the same.

This.

So many people have to got to the standard, "well back in my day... and the kids these days..."

Well, it's not back your day. We did a lot of things in the past we no longer do. It's called evolving. If you can't figure out a way to get to your child without raising your hand to them, you've lost.

• Like 1