[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

loaf

One of his kids died from getting beaten to death.. Not sure how you could ever hit your kid after having something like that happen. Of course, he has like a million kids with a million different mothers.. So it's not like he's your typical dad.

Or try this one ... if your wife is raped ... does that mean she should never make love to you again?

Again that is just stupid. In AP's mind he was spanking his child not "beating him to death". Spanking your child is a million miles away from beating your child to death. Would you deny your surviving children from taking a bath because you once lost a child to drowning while swimming in a pool?

Well there is a line somewhere between spanking your kid and leaving multiple welts on them from whipping them (hitting with a switch is much like the action of a whip).

Problem is many people start off just spanking, and then they go overboard and inflict serious harm.

Also doesn't matter that he was brought up this way, or whether others think it is ok to use corporal punishment.

BTW Some people who are raped are incapable of having sex again, the emotional scars are too strong.

• Like 2

As I read it, that's not a Vikings sponsored board. It's their fan board. Pretty impressive gesture.

Actually its a childish act of selfishness. The guy who runs the board didn't agree with others opinions and decided to take his figurative ball and go home. The whole point of having a forum is to garner open conversations.

This is actually a big issue on the internet. Despite the widespread availability of every manner of opinion and view, its insanely easy to lock yourself in an ideological corner but surrounding yourself by increasingly like-minded individuals. I have no respect for this.

Actually its a childish act of selfishness. The guy who runs the board didn't agree with others opinions and decided to take his figurative ball and go home. The whole point of having a forum is to garner open conversations.

This is actually a big issue on the internet. Despite the widespread availability of every manner of opinion and view, its insanely easy to lock yourself in an ideological corner but surrounding yourself by increasingly like-minded individuals. I have no respect for this.

I agree completely but it's his ball / his rules. He can govern his forum as he wishes; ban members, delete posts or take it off-line.

• Like 1

I feel as though most of the people who are angry at what happened are imagining a 4-year-old getting whipped by a large, slave-era whip-like branch; wincing in pain, crying, begging daddy to stop. Sweet little boy who could do no wrong. And therefore we judge harshly against the fathers discipline. Because we can't make that connection. But think for just a moment; what if the kid, after being whipped the first time, turned towards his father and said "fu#k you". What if after the second, the kid said "that ain't sh#t". What then? You all assume the kid spilled milk and got beat. This is because of the power the media has over everyone's perception of reality (don't even get me started on politics). The media is not interested in your opinion -- they just want you to watch a scandal unfold so they can get paid for your attention. The facts are almost always limited and one-sided. This leaves a society that has absolutely nothing with which to develop any kind of understanding as to why this happened. Nope, we don't care. He burned down a house? We don't care. He beat another, younger child until her face was bloodied? We don't care. We make the association between child, wound, and father. Nothing else matters. This father is a monster. This child is a sweetheart. Rinse and repeat. Keep pointing the finger because your little boy is an angel and you can't fathom doing anything like this. The fact of the matter is, none of us know sh*t about what happened except for Adrian Peterson and his son. And as a father he felt the need to discipline his son in this manner. We don't know anything else. It's sad what this world has come to. Just the other day I read a story about a mother getting arrested for letting her 7-year-old son walk to the park by himself. My god, how times have changed.

Roger that. I wasn't aware of his reasons. I thought it was more in protest than anything.

I feel as though most of the people who are angry at what happened are imagining a 4-year-old getting whipped by a large, slave-era whip-like branch; wincing in pain, crying, begging daddy to stop. Sweet little boy who could do no wrong. And therefore we judge harshly against the fathers discipline. Because we can't make that connection. But think for just a moment; what if the kid, after being whipped the first time, turned towards his father and said "fu#k you". What if after the second, the kid said "that ain't sh#t". What then? You all assume the kid spilled milk and got beat. This is because of the power the media has over everyone's perception of reality (don't even get me started on politics). The media is not interested in your opinion -- they just want you to watch a scandal unfold so they can get paid for your attention. The facts are almost always limited and one-sided. This leaves a society that has absolutely nothing with which to develop any kind of understanding as to why this happened. Nope, we don't care. He burned down a house? We don't care. He beat another, younger child until her face was bloodied? We don't care. We make the association between child, wound, and father. Nothing else matters. This father is a monster. This child is a sweetheart. Rinse and repeat. Keep pointing the finger because your little boy is an angel and you can't fathom doing anything like this. The fact of the matter is, none of us know sh*t about what happened except for Adrian Peterson and his son. And as a father he felt the need to discipline his son in this manner. We don't know anything else. It's sad what this world has come to. Just the other day I read a story about a mother getting arrested for letting her 7-year-old son walk to the park by himself. My god, how times have changed.

I understand what you are saying and I somewhat agree. I just can't see any justification at all in switching a 4 yo child all over his nude body to the point of bleeding. Media feeding frenzy or not, he went way overboard. Maybe this is an isolated incident, maybe he didn't realize at the time the damage he was doing, but the fact of the matter is that he did and he needs to be held accountable for those actions. I don't know if he's the monster the media is making him out to be, I certainly know that he should not be trusted with a child unsupervised for quite a while.

• Like 1

This post is more than casually scary. Is there ANYTHING that justifies the beating of a 4-year child? No. Not a single thing - and that includes burning down a house or picking up an unsecured firearm and killing someone.

Four year-olds are four. years. old. We have multiple decades of medical research to back up the fact that physical violence as a behavior modifier in children is unnecessary and can be counterproductive. If you're letting a small child get under your skin to the point you have to strike him/her then there are larger issues at play in the parent.

As a man who can't get enough football, I think the NFL has totally lost their moral compass.

• Like 2

Bullsh*t

C'mon Blitz. You can't be serious. Do a little research. You'll see that's it's a pretty common belief among doctors and psychologists that corporal punishment in fact does not work and can and will cause additional emotional and behavioral issues.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/tc/corporal-punishment-topic-overview

• Like 3

C'mon Blitz. You can't be serious. Do a little research. You'll see that's it's a pretty common belief among doctors and psychologists that corporal punishment in fact does not work and can and will cause additional emotional and behavioral issues.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/tc/corporal-punishment-topic-overview

Oh I believe that in this whole politically correct feel good world that many have the opinion that parents can be friends with their children and can rationalize with them. What I know is that today's world that has less corporal punishment we have more violent teens and criminals.

• Like 1

Oh I believe that in this whole politically correct feel good world that many have the opinion that parents can be friends with their children and can rationalize with them. What I know is that today's world that has less corporal punishment we have more violent teens and criminals.

And I understand your point. I think what we're trying to seperate is a child who is just being spanked and one that has clearly been abused. From the pictures and statements, this child has been abused.

• Like 2

And I understand your point. I think what we're trying to seperate is a child who is just being spanked and one that has clearly been abused. From the pictures and statements, this child has been abused.

There is a distinct difference between a parent using corporal punishment and a parent abusing a child. I have not been addressing whether or not AP crossed that line or not and have refrained from looking at the pictures and reading any articles. Largely because I don't believe the media is interested in presenting in an objective manner ... the media is all about being first and sensationalism, facts are irrelevant. Additionally I think it is a shame when anybody is tried and convicted in the court of public opinion based on the snippets the media chooses to share with us (that may or may not even be true). I am reserving my judgement and will let this play out in the legal system where people will have more access to the true facts in the case - even though I cannot imagine that I would have switched my 4 year old enough to result in visible marks. I always hated using corporal punishment and was always afraid that I would inadvertently hurt my child (I am a big man that often doesn't know my own strength) - but I did use it when I felt it was appropriate, but NEVER in anger (if I had to guess AP was angry when he was switching his boy).

I have been addressing the concept of parents using corporal punishment. And people are intentionally using inflammatory language in this discussion ... even heard one of the media say Peterson beat his child with a tree branch.

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 2

I see a lot of self-righteousness being tossed around with this situation. And I see a man most of us admired just a week ago being ripped to shreds in every possible fashion. I see words like scumbag.

Maybe all that is true. Maybe he deserves all the wrath he is getting.

But I would like to know something from those of you screaming the loudest for his head. Where is your outrage for the (I'm sure) dozens upon dozens of NFL players that have never even met their children?

I mean, if the issue here is child abuse - how much more abusive a situation is there than spending your childhood knowing your dad doesn't want anything to do with you?

The feeding frenzy is just out of control and it seems people have lost perspective. Peterson is obviously seriously lacking in parenting skills, but at least he stuck around and is in his children's lives. Seems to me that alone makes him a whole lot less of a scumbag than the faceless individuals in the league that abandoned their children before birth.

Just a thought. For all those gnashing their teeth, where is the outrage for the forgotten children?

• Like 3

I see a lot of self-righteousness being tossed around with this situation. And I see a man most of us admired just a week ago being ripped to shreds in every possible fashion. I see words like scumbag.

Maybe all that is true. Maybe he deserves all the wrath he is getting.

But I would like to know something from those of you screaming the loudest for his head. Where is your outrage for the (I'm sure) dozens upon dozens of NFL players that have never even met their children?

I mean, if the issue here is child abuse - how much more abusive a situation is there than spending your childhood knowing your dad doesn't want anything to do with you?

The feeding frenzy is just out of control and it seems people have lost perspective. Peterson is obviously seriously lacking in parenting skills, but at least he stuck around and is in his children's lives. Seems to me that alone makes him a whole lot less of a scumbag than the faceless individuals in the league that abandoned their children before birth.

Just a thought. For all those gnashing their teeth, where is the outrage for the forgotten children?

Again I do not know all the facts but my understanding is that AP has something like 7 kids from 4 different women. It is also my understanding that he visits his children and is not a regular part of their lives. I wouldn't necessarily be holding AP up as a shing example of a father, even if he had never disciplined his children.

• Like 1

Again I do not know all the facts but my understanding is that AP has something like 7 kids from 4 different women. It is also my understanding that he visits his children and is not a regular part of their lives. I wouldn't necessarily be holding AP up as a shing example of a father, even if he had never disciplined his children.

I'm not holding him up as a shining example. I am comparing him to those chicken-shirt bastards that run away and never know their kids. Who is the worse individual? Who is truly worthy of our wrath? I am just asking.

How do you know he's in their lives? He is rumored to have up to 7 kids (counting the one that was killed) by 3-4 different mothers. Is he in all their lives or just a few?

And trust me on this, as a kid who was abandoned by his real father and abused by a step father, I'll take the sadness of being abandoned over the fear of being beaten ANY day.

• Like 1

I'm not holding him up as a shining example. I am comparing him to those chicken-shirt bastards that run away and never know their kids. Who is the worse individual? Who is truly worthy of our wrath? I am just asking.

Well if you ask me ... I would rather deal with abandonment than fear physical abuse daily. Heck, with abandonment there is always the chance that my mother will find somebody to fill the void as my step father.