[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Preseason games

Randall

Been watching CFL games on ESPN the last 2 years and think I like the 2 game pre-seaon they use. They play 18 maybe because of it.

Anyone else?

I also like their new rule last year that any passing play can be reviewed by replay.

I don't want other NFL changes but I like those 2.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Randall said:

Been watching CFL games on ESPN the last 2 years and think I like the 2 game pre-seaon they use. They play 18 maybe because of it.

Anyone else?

I also like their new rule last year that any passing play can be reviewed by replay.

I don't want other NFL changes but I like those 2.

I've thought about trying to watch the CFL.  I think I'd have to randomly adopt a team as my own in order for it to be interesting.  I'd probably pick the Winnipeg Blue Bombers since they are closest to Wisconsin.  I also like the name Blue Bombers.

I think an 18 game schedule in the NFL is probably inevitable.  I'm opposed to it because I like tradition.  I hate interleague play and the designated hitter in baseball.  I hate that the Big Ten has more than 10 teams.  I do think the addition of the forward pass in football was good.  Otherwise, why fix it if it ain't broke?  A 16 game schedule is already pretty grueling.  NFL games are so special because there are so few of them.  I could even see NFL teams resting their players to keep them fresh for the playoffs if the season is extended.  Also, many statistical records would be thrown out the door.  We'd soon have a quarterback throwing 6,000 yards.  But an 18 game schedule will probably come because of money.  It could even become a reality with the upcoming cba.  The owners will have to concede an issue to the players in exchange for the players agreeing to 2 extra games.

4 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I've thought about trying to watch the CFL.  I think I'd have to randomly adopt a team as my own in order for it to be interesting.  I'd probably pick the Winnipeg Blue Bombers since they are closest to Wisconsin.  I also like the name Blue Bombers.

I think an 18 game schedule in the NFL is probably inevitable.  I'm opposed to it because I like tradition.  I hate interleague play and the designated hitter in baseball.  I hate that the Big Ten has more than 10 teams.  I do think the addition of the forward pass in football was good.  Otherwise, why fix it if it ain't broke?  A 16 game schedule is already pretty grueling.  NFL games are so special because there are so few of them.  I could even see NFL teams resting their players to keep them fresh for the playoffs if the season is extended.  Also, many statistical records would be thrown out the door.  We'd soon have a quarterback throwing 6,000 yards.  But an 18 game schedule will probably come because of money.  It could even become a reality with the upcoming cba.  The owners will have to concede an issue to the players in exchange for the players agreeing to 2 extra games.

I like most of them, if you watch replays can go through commercials. I watch on Roku app.

Edmonton has closest to Packer colors.

I thought defenses and offenses challenging passing plays would be inmanagable but it worked pretty well last year.

18 game NFL season

The biggest issue with this is the current season schedule makes it difficult to change. In order to play 2 more regular season games and keep the playoff schedule as is, that means week one is late August and week 2 is Labor Day weekend. The NFL long ago moved the season start to weekend after Labor Day, because they felt they were losing fans (mostly on TV but also at stadiums).  The other alternative is start at same date, and push the whole season out 2 more weeks, that also seems unlikely. Personally I'd like to see them get rid of the off week before the SB, then they could add 2 games with only a 1 week change.

I'd like to see it, but just don't think it is likely because of the season schedule.

I would like more equitable use of replay (get rid of the limits, or at least keep awarding another coach's challenge if they keep getting them right), but I fear the game would slow down even more and get more maddening for some people. (Doesn't affect me much as I watch most games on DVR and can skip all that dead time.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

18 game NFL season

The biggest issue with this is the current season schedule makes it difficult to change. In order to play 2 more regular season games and keep the playoff schedule as is, that means week one is late August and week 2 is Labor Day weekend. The NFL long ago moved the season start to weekend after Labor Day, because they felt they were losing fans (mostly on TV but also at stadiums).  The other alternative is start at same date, and push the whole season out 2 more weeks, that also seems unlikely. Personally I'd like to see them get rid of the off week before the SB, then they could add 2 games with only a 1 week change.

I'd like to see it, but just don't think it is likely because of the season schedule.

I would like more equitable use of replay (get rid of the limits, or at least keep awarding another coach's challenge if they keep getting them right), but I fear the game would slow down even more and get more maddening for some people. (Doesn't affect me much as I watch most games on DVR and can skip all that dead time.)

True, but they keep pushing for more games, as far as replay it didn't seem any slower (limited replays) for them last year.

This biggest challenge to an 18 game season is pay.  Players aren't going to sign off on it without a huge payoff.  2 more regular season games would be a ton of money in owners' pockets, and the players are gonna want some.  They will (rightfully) cite more risk/wear and tear of longer seasons will mean fewer seasons played for most.

Schedule is trivial.  They could go to two bye weeks per team pear season, start early August and have Labor Day Weekend be a bye week for all teams, then the 2nd bye for everyone between weeks 6-14 or whatever.

On Thursday, July 06, 2017 at 6:47 PM, flemingd said:

This biggest challenge to an 18 game season is pay.  Players aren't going to sign off on it without a huge payoff.  2 more regular season games would be a ton of money in owners' pockets, and the players are gonna want some.  They will (rightfully) cite more risk/wear and tear of longer seasons will mean fewer seasons played for most.

Schedule is trivial.  They could go to two bye weeks per team pear season, start early August and have Labor Day Weekend be a bye week for all teams, then the 2nd bye for everyone between weeks 6-14 or whatever.

True they need to get the pay worked out, but I don't think scheduling is just a minor detail. Sure it sounds easy, play in early August but are the fans going to attend. Will TV contracts be as lucrative?  Will fans (and teams) really enjoy a one week hiatus over Labor Day?

On 7/10/2017 at 9:35 AM, stevegrab said:

True they need to get the pay worked out, but I don't think scheduling is just a minor detail. Sure it sounds easy, play in early August but are the fans going to attend. Will TV contracts be as lucrative?  Will fans (and teams) really enjoy a one week hiatus over Labor Day?

2 more games would be more like mid-late august,this year that would be august 24th, as real games start Sept 7th.  I think there are enough fans to attend those games. 

3 hours ago, Randall said:

2 more games would be more like mid-late august,this year that would be august 24th, as real games start Sept 7th.  I think there are enough fans to attend those games.

I used early August because that is what flemingd suggested in his solution to this "trivial issue". I think the idea of starting the season, then having an ALL BYE week for Labor Day would not be very favorable for the league.

There were enough fans to attend games back when the season opened on Labor Day weekend, I had Browns season tickets and they never had a lack of fans. I think its more about TV revenue, and maybe cities where the fan base is not as hard core. Or maybe they feel the players and others on the team should have Labor Day weekend off after training camp.

There are many issues to work out, but first both sides need to have a strong desire to have 18 games, or at least embrace the changes (more pay for players, longer season with earlier start or later end) that would go with it.

• 10 months later...

CFL's about to start again with their 2 pre-season games. I've been watching the last 2 years on ESPN and the games are pretty good. Different rules and the talent is less but still a good fill in for summer.

• Like 1

Their bodies can't take a 16-game schedule so what do you think will happen at 18 games? We'll be starting Bootenee-Lee Farnsworth in our title games...

Seriously, more head contact and trauma is going to make nothing in the current NFL better - and the quality of the games will go down further.

Agree they should drop 2 preseason games but then they should stick with the 16 game season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stethant said:

Their bodies can't take a 16-game schedule so what do you think will happen at 18 games? We'll be starting Bootenee-Lee Farnsworth in our title games...

Seriously, more head contact and trauma is going to make nothing in the current NFL better - and the quality of the games will go down further.

Agree they should drop 2 preseason games but then they should stick with the 16 game season.

Dudes a stud!

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2018 at 6:31 PM, stethant said:

Didn't check but they went to 3 pre season games this year.