[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stud QB values not really high?

ksu70

I understand that the value of the QB has diminished due to the volume of QB's putting up big numbers and that the difference between the top QB's and say #'s 8-12 is not as great as the same RB grouping.  It feels like the QB has become an untradeable asset and that the studs really aren't viewed that way right now because a lot of guys feel like they can just grab anybody off the wire and mix and match but is that really true?  What is the top QB equivalent to these days?  RB2/3?  WR2?  Flex?

54 minutes ago, Shaft said:

It depends on league size and scoring. In my 16 team league where passing TDs are 6 points, QBs are extremely valuable.

That certainly makes sense but I am seeing guys in 10 team leagues that are trotting the likes of Dak/Tannehill and Mariota out there making offers with low end flex players and getting pissed when they don't get Mahomes/Watson etc... 

They'll get more valuable as the season goes on, I feel like the first 6 weeks people don't put much value into having or trading for a high end one.  Once you get closer to the playoffs and the picture starts to establish, those fringe teams that are hurting about a QB will start to get nervous and want to trade some of their depth to acquire a good one.  I'm sitting on Watson and Goff, and will ship one to a QB desperate team in a few weeks for a lot.

Guy in our league lost Garappalo, but had Wentz returning from injury and dropped Jimmy for Flacco. I've got Stafford as my starter, had also drafted Trubisky but dropped him to add Dalton who's been tearing it up. Since my season isn't going well I'm looking long term, and got Trubisky back hoping one of my extra QBs has some trade value later in the season, or possibly as a keeper for next year.

Trades can and do happen, but it depends a lot on the league and owners. Even with very deep bench (start 9, bench 9) we still have lots of trading compared to other leagues.

Part of the problem this year is some strange names at the top of QB scoring. The top 10 has no Brady, Rodgers or Newton, but does have Ryan, Cousins, Dalton and Fitz. Also have Bortles and Trubisky scoring more than Brady/Rodgers/Newton. So people may think they can get some guy off waivers to be their starter, or quality backup. The available FA startimg QBs in my league are pretty weak Allen, Keenum, Beathard, Rosen, Winston. 

As a follow up to this discussion in my local league the Mahomes owner packaged him with Demaryius Thomas for Royce Freeman and Jarvis Landry.  The Landry owner had Dak and Tannehill as his QB's so the need was there.  Seemed like a good deal for both guys.  

On 10/2/2018 at 10:55 PM, kdko said:

They'll get more valuable as the season goes on, I feel like the first 6 weeks people don't put much value into having or trading for a high end one.  Once you get closer to the playoffs and the picture starts to establish, those fringe teams that are hurting about a QB will start to get nervous and want to trade some of their depth to acquire a good one.  I'm sitting on Watson and Goff, and will ship one to a QB desperate team in a few weeks for a lot.

This is exactly right and happens every year. Just wait. Right now QBs are worth manure on a shingle.

Edited by stethant
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 9:31 PM, Shaft said:

It depends on league size and scoring. In my 16 team league where passing TDs are 6 points, QBs are extremely valuable.

Scarcity impacts the value more than the 6 pt passing TDs but even that's negligible. 

And if you haven't yet, check out the bottom of my signature!

Edited by keggerz

17 minutes ago, keggerz said:

Scarcity impacts the value more than the 6 pt passing TDs but even that's negligible. 

And if you haven't yet, check out the bottom of my signature!

Yes, I agree, that's why I pointed out the 16 teams. Every owner tries to grab at least 2QBs, and one finds a way to get 3.

I like the logic and the statistical analysis of the zero QB theorem, but I do think it would be interesting to update the stats with the major change in the passing game the past 5 years.

if anything, the increase in QBs that are "fantasy relevant" moves the needle in the wrong direction for QB value. More passing yards would only matter if the top 1-3 were doing it and everyone else was languishing. 

I totally subscribe to the "wait on QB" thing in most cases, but in a league where I'm overly stacked I ended up trading for Aaron Rodgers (at his low point this season where he was playing on one leg).  I absolutely had to trade for a QB 'cuz Jimmy G got hurt.  It just so happened the Rodgers owner was selling and was cool with taking on Garappolo since he was rebuilding (dynasty league, obviously).  

Now, this is after I sold Matt Ryan earlier in the season.  Oops.  I thought I was set with Jimmy G.