[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Flacco to Denver

League_Champion

7 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

Kinda how I feel. For being a former elite QB Elway sure has strange tastes in QB's

Maybe he just doesn't want Broncos to ever have another great QB that might knock him off his pedestal . Manning may have been great and helped win a SB but didn't really dethrone horse face. 

Keenum is guaranteed 7 million on an 18 million salary.  Wonder what they do with him. 

"Over the last three seasons: Joe Flacco (41 starts) 50 TDs, 34 INTs, 63.8 CMP%, 82.6 QB rate, 242 yards a game. Case Keenum (41 starts) 49 TDs, 33 INTs, 63.8 CMP%, 86 QB rate, 235.1 yards a game."

I think Keenum had the better receivers, but still a little odd

1 minute ago, purplemonster said:

Keenum is guaranteed 7 million on an 18 million salary.  Wonder what they do with him. 

"Over the last three seasons: Joe Flacco (41 starts) 50 TDs, 34 INTs, 63.8 CMP%, 82.6 QB rate, 242 yards a game. Case Keenum (41 starts) 49 TDs, 33 INTs, 63.8 CMP%, 86 QB rate, 235.1 yards a game."

I think Keenum had the better receivers, but still a little odd

Wow, same exact guy. 

Best I can rationalize is this... The Keenum ship has sailed. Whether or not Flacco is an upgrade is irrelevant. The fan base won't stand for Keenum being the stopgap next year. And the draft is pretty light on quality QBs this year, so Elway needed to find someone to be the new stopgap until he drafts the QB of the future in next April's draft. And with Flacco there, he at least has a guy with a more proven track record than Keenum. 

Having said all of that, it's far from an exciting move. I don't think Foles would have been the answer either, mainly because someone else will overspend to get Foles. Flacco might be better than his recent numbers with a quality, young WR group. He was throwing to over the hill Crabtree and perpetually injured John Brown last year. Sutton and Hamilton should be upgrades.

Franchise quarterbacks don't grow on trees.  They aren't available on the free agent market.  Kirk Cousins being available last year was a rare situation.  Flacco is a legitimate NFL starting quarterback.  He is tall and has a rocket arm.  He is probably better than Foles.  Foles has had the benefit of playing behind a dominant offensive line the last 2 years.  Flacco would have looked great if he had played for the Eagles.

50 minutes ago, loaf said:

An immobile QB with a suspect O-line. Hmmmm

I bet they plan on addressing their offensive line.  They probably wouldn't have traded for Flacco otherwise.  They really don't have any other needs on offense except tight end.  The Broncos' offensive line was respectable last year until injuries set in.  Adding a legit OL or two could turn it into an area of strength.

2 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Franchise quarterbacks don't grow on trees.  They aren't available on the free agent market.  Kirk Cousins being available last year was a rare situation.  Flacco is a legitimate NFL starting quarterback.  He is tall and has a rocket arm.  He is probably better than Foles.  Foles has had the benefit of playing behind a dominant offensive line the last 2 years.  Flacco would have looked great if he had played for the Eagles.

I wouldn't call Flacco, Foles or Keenum franchise QB'S. Look at their numbers as starting QB's. Keenum is Flacco just smaller.

43 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I wouldn't call Flacco, Foles or Keenum franchise QB'S. Look at their numbers as starting QB's. Keenum is Flacco just smaller.

How many franchise QBs are there? Some people think that can only apply to elite players, but there are 32 teams and many have their franchise QB.  I'd say Flacco counts, but not the others, he anchored the Ravens franchise for 10 years, and won at least one playoff game every time they got there. 

He also wasn't carried to a SB win by his teams defense, just look at their ranking and his stats in the playoffs (73-126, 1140 yards, 11TDs 0INT QB rating 117.2)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

How many franchise QBs are there? Some people think that can only apply to elite players, but there are 32 teams and many have their franchise QB.  I'd say Flacco counts, but not the others, he anchored the Ravens franchise for 10 years, and won at least one playoff game every time they got there. 

He also wasn't carried to a SB win by his teams defense, just look at their ranking and his stats in the playoffs (73-126, 1140 yards, 11TDs 0INT QB rating 117.2)

He's borderline but his numbers are very pedestrian, especially as of late. He's not the same guy he was 5 years ago. Flacco isn't exactly gonna put a team on his back, not anymore anyway.

I am not trying to argue that he is an upgrade over Keenum, but Keenum is a journeyman while Flacco at least was a franchise QB who has been replaced. 

I'm just trying to point out Flacco isn't as bad as some will portray him, often you here him compared to Trent Dilfer(I've even done it), his stats were not good in 4 playoff games he had 3TDs and one pick, threw the ball less than 100 times, completed less than half, QB rating 83.7.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I am not trying to argue that he is an upgrade over Keenum, but Keenum is a journeyman while Flacco at least was a franchise QB who has been replaced. 

I'm just trying to point out Flacco isn't as bad as some will portray him, often you here him compared to Trent Dilfer(I've even done it), his stats were not good in 4 playoff games he had 3TDs and one pick, threw the ball less than 100 times, completed less than half, QB rating 83.7.

I agree. I never understood the Keenum love when Denver signed him. He's a decent backup. You can't win with Keenum.

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

i agree, but i'm not sure that he's much of an upgrade over keenum. as a fan, I'd prefer spending the assets used to acquire flacco and the lost assets in (eventually) dumping keenum in keeping keenum and upgrading the OL.

Denver only gave up a 4th rounder for Flacco.  If they were to have used that pick on an offensive lineman, I wouldn't be any more optimistic about the offensive line.  Flacco is due $18.5 million this year while Keenum is due $18 million.  If Flacco is even a small upgrade, it is worth it.  Denver might even be able to trade Keenum and recoup a little of the draft capital they lost.

14 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Denver only gave up a 4th rounder for Flacco.  If they were to have used that pick on an offensive lineman, I wouldn't be any more optimistic about the offensive line.  Flacco is due $18.5 million this year while Keenum is due $18 million.  If Flacco is even a small upgrade, it is worth it.  Denver might even be able to trade Keenum and recoup a little of the draft capital they lost.

I personally don't see Flacco as the difference maker. He and Keenum are the same guy in my eyes. It's not enough of an upgrade for me, if any. He's not much better on paper but i would have taken a shot on Foles before either of those two