[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Flacco to Denver

League_Champion

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

He should have drafted a good one years ago like everyone else. Why sign a different free agent every year??

Whether they should have dedicated more resources to drafting quarterback is a separate issue to the signing of Keenum and the Flacco trade.  And to be fair, Denver has been perennially good so from 2012 to 2017 they didn't have a 1st round pick higher than 20.  Maybe Elway would have drafted Mayfield or Darnold if they had dropped to 5.  And maybe he would have drafted Mahomes or Watson if they had dropped to 20.  You could argue that Elway should have sold the farm to move up in the draft.  Again, 20/20 vision.

3 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Whether they should have dedicated more resources to drafting quarterback is a separate issue to the signing of Keenum and the Flacco trade.  And to be fair, Denver has been perennially good so from 2012 to 2017 they didn't have a 1st round pick higher than 20.  Maybe Elway would have drafted Mayfield or Darnold if they had dropped to 5.  And maybe he would have drafted Mahomes or Watson if they had dropped to 20.  You could argue that Elway should have sold the farm to move up in the draft.  Again, 20/20 vision.

C'mon. Don't make excuses for Elway. He could have been creative and gotten his QB just like any other GM. He didn't and that's why he's grasping at straws every year. Keenum, Osweiller, Lynch, Flacco, what's the difference?

39 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

He should have drafted a good one years ago like everyone else. Why sign a different free agent every year??

Keenum had a really good year with the Vikes. He escaped really well (important for a crap line)  Avoided numerous sacks, made plays on the run, took shots downfield.  I think a major factor was Diggs and Thielen's contested catch rates, both top 5 in the NFL.  They probably made him look good on some inaccurate or 50/50 balls.  And the mojo was great for the whole year...until the end.  Then he came back down to Earth this year.  He really did not have a bad game last year though, the last 8 or 10 games of the season, minus the finale.  We kept expecting him to turn into a pumpkin, but he never did.  But he kinda did this year.  I still don't think the Vikings record would have been any different with Keenum or Cousins this year.  Heck may have been better with Keenum. 

Edited by purplemonster

Just now, purplemonster said:

Keenum had a really good year. He escaped really, really well.  Avoided numerous sacks, made plays on the run, took shots downfield.  I think a major factor was Diggs and Thielen's contested catch rates, both top 5 in the NFL.  They probably made him look good on some inaccurate or 50/50 balls.  And the mojo was great for the whole year...until the end.  Then he came back down to Earth this year.  He really did not have a bad game last year though, the last 8 or 10 games of the season, minus the finale.  We kept expecting him to turn into a pumpkin, but he never did. 

Keenum is not terrible. He's also not a very good starter. His body of work is what it is. He's a journeyman. Elway needs to target a young QB in this draft and find a way to trade up to get him. If not he's gonna be in this backup QB vortex forever.

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

He's sucked for several years. 

Then why didn't the Ravens get rid of him several years ago?  You know since they're releasing him now replacing him the Jackson proves he sucks.

Way to avoid the question about Montana.  Your general premise that a guy sucks because he was cut  SUCKS

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Right so easy a chimp could do it, none of the high drafted QBs ever fails, just draft one and your franchise is set. 

Per Flacco's remaining 3 years on his contract, he's due to receive the following:

2019  $18.5 million

2020  $20.25 million

2021  $24.25 million

But, none of it is guaranteed.

Thus, the Broncos can cut Flacco at any time.

The Broncos can draft a QB in any year and cut Flacco in any of these years without penalty. And yes, best case scenario the Broncos may be happy to pay him $24.25M in 3 years if he has balled and earned his spot.

I also believe they will wait until the 2020 draft for a QB, unless Lock falls to them at #10.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rileyrott said:

I also believe they will wait until the 2020 draft for a QB, unless Lock falls to them at #10.

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

I don't know if it is this draft or wait for next year.  I am not expert on the classes but it sounds like next year will be a bonanza 

Maybe the smartest move would be for Denver to trade down in the first round and stockpile some draft picks in order to trade up for a franchise quarterback next year.  Elway probably wouldn't like it but he should be on double secret probation and not have 100% authority over the situation.  Although, with ownership in complete disarray, he probably does have 100% authority and won't trade down.

Edited by michaelredd9

3 hours ago, Rileyrott said:

Per Flacco's remaining 3 years on his contract, he's due to receive the following:

2019  $18.5 million

2020  $20.25 million

2021  $24.25 million

But, none of it is guaranteed.

Thus, the Broncos can cut Flacco at any time.

The Broncos can draft a QB in any year and cut Flacco in any of these years without penalty. And yes, best case scenario the Broncos may be happy to pay him $24.25M in 3 years if he has balled and earned his spot.

Lock should be there at 10 unless the Dolphins move up. If your Denver and you like him you gotta trade up. 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Then why didn't the Ravens get rid of him several years ago?  You know since they're releasing him now replacing him the Jackson proves he sucks.

Way to avoid the question about Montana.  Your general premise that a guy sucks because he was cut  SUCKS

Steve, do you have two eyeballs in your head?? HE CAN'T PLAY! What more do you need to see??

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Lock should be there at 10 unless the Dolphins move up. If your Denver and you like him you gotta trade up. 

Dolphins supposedly tanking this year for next year's class.  Shouldn't make a move up for Lock.  But if they do I will go all left eye and find them and burn their goddamn houses down. 

On 2/15/2019 at 7:37 PM, League_Champion said:

Steve, do you have two eyeballs in your head?? HE CAN'T PLAY! What more do you need to see??

It is your opinion I disagree as do others including Broncos management.

But keep believing your opinion equals fact. No wonder I had been ignoring you just another online know-it-all

16 hours ago, kdko said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but wasn't he statistically the worst starting QB over the past 5 seasons?

I'd have to see how that was measured before I'd consider its value. There are many statistics that can be used and don't tell the full story.

Plenty of worse QBs have been starters, not just as replacements for injuries either, for example Tyrod Taylor started 3 games for the Browns last year, and a bunch for the Bills before that. Is he statistically better than Flacco? 

He was also Flacco's back thru 2014 before leaving for BUF. If Flacco is worse maybe they should have went with Taylor back in 2015.

9 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I'd have to see how that was measured before I'd consider its value. There are many statistics that can be used and don't tell the full story.

Plenty of worse QBs have been starters, not just as replacements for injuries either, for example Tyrod Taylor started 3 games for the Browns last year, and a bunch for the Bills before that. Is he statistically better than Flacco? 

He was also Flacco's back thru 2014 before leaving for BUF. If Flacco is worse maybe they should have went with Taylor back in 2015.

Whether he's the worst QB or not is besides the point. The point is that he stinks. Where is the upgrade ovet Keenum? You can argue it's a downgrade.