[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Johnny Manziel to the rescue!

DMD

At least he is now available to play in the NFL. AFL maybe? Flag football?

Johnny Manziel released by CFL team; Banned from league
POSTED FEB 27 2019 01:32PM CST

UPDATED FEB 27 2019 03:05PM CST

Johnny Manziel has been released by the Montreal Alouettes and reportedly been banned from playing in the Canadian Football League.

Manziel had his contract terminated after "it was found that he had contravened the agreement which made him eligible to play in the league," according to a release from the Alouettes.

The CFL directed the Alouettes to terminate Manziel's contract, and has "informed all of its member clubs that it will not register a contract for Manziel should any club attempt to sign him."

The Alouettes and CFL have not said what caused Manziel's contract to be terminated.

Following his release, Manziel sent out a tweet that thanked his coach, teammates, and fans.

Manziel also said his time in the CFL "reestablished" his love for football, and he looked forward to exploring new options in the U.S.

I want to thank Coach Sherman, my teammates, and the CFL fans. My time there reestablished my love for the game of football and the work that goes into it. I look forward to exploring new options within the United States.

— Johnny Manziel (@JManziel2) February 27, 2019

“We are disappointed by this turn of events. Johnny was provided a great deal of support by our organization, in collaboration with the CFL, but he has been unable to abide by the terms of his agreement. We worked with the league and presented alternatives to Johnny, who was unwilling to proceed,” Alouettes General Manager Kavis Reed said in a release.

• 3 weeks later...