[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roethlisberger not the reason for Pitt's success

aterry1979

I believe simply put the Pittsburg "steel curtain" defense is the reason why they are winning their games right now. Roethlisberger threw 9/20 passes at one point and couldnt believe they pulled off a win with those numbers. A very tough D plus a steady running game is the reason why they are 9-0 with Roethlisberger, not because hes good. People should open their eyes and see this rather than give all the credit to the rookie that only deserves a sliver of it.

Certainly the defense is playing a big part ... as is the running game ... but part of the success is due to Roeth as well. As a rookie he has lead the game to 7 straight wins. Over that period of time he has been largely efficient with very few interceptions.

The Steelers looked pathetic under Maddox last year and to start out this year ... Roeth came in and bad a bing they are winning

He cant pass over 200 yards a game.. hes playing "safe" and to me thats not a sign that hes carrying the team by himself, he certainly has some help with the defense

579693[/snapback]

He doesn't need to pass over 200 yards a game ... Pit is winning and they are winning easily. Why should he have to carry the team himself to be a great player?

I never said he wasnt a great player at all. Its just that all the press and the media are giving him all the credit because he happens to have a record of 9-0 wins with him on the start. I think its perfect timing he came in when the defense was improving weekly. I have Roethlisberger as one of my QBs but dont start him cause his performance is crap and still wins.

I agree that Ben isnt the only reason that the Steelers are winning; however, he is one of the reasons that they are winning.

One of the reasons that they are winning is the "O" is keeping the ball and winning the time of posession by large margins. Ben does play a big part in that along with the strong running attack. They control the clock with the run and on 3rd down situations Ben makes clutch plays to keep the drives going. Often times he makes plays that a typical rookie wouldnt make.

Another reason is that when the "D" is on the field that they arent letting up big plays and are more often than not making the big plays. They are also shutting down other teams.

A third reason has been the special teams play. Both covering kicks and returning them. They have been getting great field position.

The bottom line is that they havent lost with Ben starting at QB. He is not making mistakes and is protecting the ball and making clutch throws when they are needed.

He cant pass over 200 yards a game.. hes playing "safe" and to me thats not a sign that hes carrying the team by himself, he certainly has some help with the defense

579693[/snapback]

Agreed that he's not an MVP candidate, but he's doing a good job of "managing the offense" and making a big play here and there. PIT is winning with defense and a solid ground attack, but I get the feeling that Big Ben is much better option than a healthy Maddox.

I'll tell you what; the game plan is not and never has been to make Big Ben look like Peyton Manning. This team is about ball control and smash mouth football. This team wants to wear you out and pick away at your will to even be in the game. Toss in an occasional score or score set up but a killer defense and add a QB that is not making many mistakes, (quite a surprise for a player that young), and what you have is the a solid all around team.

I never once felt like Big Ben was the reason we have won 9 straight but I'll tell you this; it's good to sit here and realize that Big Ben is not the reason that we lost any games under his watch.

And no matter how you slice it, he is an upgrade over Maddox.

Say all you want about how he isn't the difference, but he makes plays when he needs too. Moves great in the pocket, and has great awareness. Yes, he was dropped into the perfect situation for a rookie QB, veteran receivers, good running game, good offensive line, and a good defense. He is doing a great job of it. I thought the kid was going to be a bust! Boy was I wrong. QB's get too much credit, and too much blame. But he deserves more than a sliver of credit. The last two weeks, he hasn't done a whole lot, but man was he making plays before that!

I never said he wasnt a great player at all.  Its just that all the press and the media are giving him all the credit because he happens to have a record of 9-0 wins with him on the start.  I think its perfect timing he came in when the defense was improving weekly.  I have Roethlisberger as one of my QBs but dont start him cause his performance is crap and still wins.

579705[/snapback]

You don't have to be a good fantasy scorer to be a good NFL player.

You don't have to be a good fantasy scorer to be a good NFL player.

579889[/snapback]

And this is the crux of the matter.

There can sometimes be a huge difference between being a good Fantasy QB and a good NFL QB. True there are some, like Manning who is a great NFL QB that happens to score a ton of FF points. But the reality is that you can score a ton of FF points and still hurt your team but on the other hand you can be a big part of the reason your team wins without scoring a ton of FF points. That's Big Ben.

The 1st thing you have to remember is that Ben is a rookie. Then take a look at his stats for his 1st 10 starts in the NFL.

66.5% Completion %

8.11 yds per attempt

12 TDs against only 6 INT's, that's a 2-1 TD-INT ratio

98.4 QB Rating

Now those are good numbers for an NFL QB. When you consider that they belong to a rookie, they become excellent numbers. And when you throw in the intangibles like, pocket presence, instincts, decision making and all those things that you can't measure then you can see that Ben is going to be a good one.

Now I have heard a lot of the hype about Ben but I have never heard anyone say that he is the only reason they are winning, but I think we can all agree he is a big part of why they are winning.

As far as talking about the number of games they have won since he became the starter, that is natural. The one stat that most people use to measure the greatness of a QB is WINS. And for any team in the NFL to win 9 straight games is a great thing. I mean think about it, they are nearly half way to NE's streak already.

What a freaking stupid topic. I feel like a moron for even replying to it. Gee, newsflash, Big Ben is not the only reason Pitt is winning. However, by listening to some people, you'd think any schmuck could come in and win if all the other pieces were sound. Playing QB in the NFL is just so easy. That a rookie has come in and played as solidly as he has is a tribute. When you look at how solid Pitt is at all positions, you'd have to point to the fact that they have a rookie QB as the only reason for concern. I mean rookie QBs simply do not do well in the NFL...period. So, when the "weak link" plays so well that you simply don't have to worry about them, they deserve all the praise.

Ask the freaking Steelers. If pressed to give you one reason, to a man, they'd point to Big Ben.

Certainly the defense is playing a big part ... as is the running game ... but part of the success is due to Roeth as well.  As a rookie he has lead the game to 7 straight wins.  Over that period of time he has been largely efficient with very few interceptions.

The Steelers looked pathetic under Maddox last year and to start out this year ... Roeth came in and bad a bing they are winning

579691[/snapback]

Exactly. The O LIne is a huge key to their success as well. Bettis averaging over 100 yards a game? ... I rest my case.

Everyone, including Ben, is contributing. He makes a lot of good and even great plays when they need him to. He is a great upgrade over Maddox.

Kind of like Michael Vick............. :D

579995[/snapback]

Yeah but Vick seems to be getting acclimated to his new offense. In my League, we award points for ydg & TD's & deduct points for turnovers, Vick is the 4th ranked QB when you look at points scored for the last 3 weeks.

So if you have him then he seems to be peaking at just the right time for you.

Someone has already pointed this out, but Roethlisberger can make plays when needed and most importantly is a suprisingly poised QB for a rookie who takes care of the ball....his job is to take what the "D" gives you and to take care of the ball...for a rookie he has done that well....this week they have the Jags in Jacksonville and if their run game gets stuffed let's see how Roeth responds...Jags are a decent run "D".....add the fact that the deep threat on the team--Plaxico was out this week and they won by 9.....take Roeth out and put Maddox in there and you will see a vast difference....his mobility(used or not)---his poise(used or not) is IMO the key factors to the team winning...other teams can't load up on the run as Big Ben will make you pay in most situations(not always as he is no Peyton Manning or Tom Brady)....but 1-2 years at Roeth's present pace he will be pushing the Mannings and McNabbs for the top 3 in QB ratings and leadership....get him another WR with speed and that "O" will be awesome if FA doesn't kill them,.... :D

What a freaking stupid topic.  I feel like a moron for even replying to it.  Gee, newsflash, Big Ben is not the only reason Pitt is winning.  However, by listening to some people, you'd think any schmuck could come in and win if all the other pieces were sound.  Playing QB in the NFL is just so easy.  That a rookie has come in and played as solidly as he has is a tribute.  When you look at how solid Pitt is at all positions, you'd have to point to the fact that they have a rookie QB as the only reason for concern.  I mean rookie QBs simply do not do well in the NFL...period.  So, when the "weak link" plays so well that you simply don't have to worry about them, they deserve all the praise.

Ask the freaking Steelers.  If pressed to give you one reason, to a man, they'd point to Big Ben.

579955[/snapback]

:D

I think I might make Squeegie mad if I suggested that Ben's tendency to play relatively safe, game manager, throw as much as he needs to, has a good supporting cast around him, low interceptions, not a terrific fantasy QB option -style reminds me of someone....named Tom? :D

I think I might make Squeegie mad if I suggested that Ben's tendency to play relatively safe, game manager, throw as much as he needs to, has a good supporting cast around him, low interceptions, not a terrific fantasy QB option -style reminds me of someone....named Tom? :D

580232[/snapback]

You're right. And neither one of them is their respective teams' MVP.

You're right.  And neither one of them is their respective teams' MVP.

580237[/snapback]

Then who is? If you could only pick one player? I will say that Vrabel should have gotten it over Brady in last year's SB. However, over the course of the year, it's hard to single anyone out more deserving. Frankly one could say the same about Roth. The Bus has been a great story, but spent the first 7 or so games racking up 5 yards on 5 carries per. There's been no single playmaker on D.

If you must choose a player and not pull the oft-used entity copout, it's hard to choose anyone but those two.

ps, props to Czar's Brady comparison. It's exactly the same situation. Brady gets props (and well deserved) because he wins games. He makes exactly as many plays as he needs to to win. Hell, as a niner fan, I'd bring up another. A guy named Joe. The niners weren't winning games 45-10 week in and week out. They had an amazing D, a super effective O-line, and enough talent around Joe to let him shine. All that and they won games 21-10, 23-14, etc. Yet Joe has hailed as the greatest and for good reason, he made plays when he had to.

I have made the Brady / Big Ben comparisson before... both are just so poised.

Brady is the NE MVP I think.

For the Steelers...

Farrior is playing outstanding defense....

Ben is playing great....

But I think the Steelers MVP is Jerome Bettis. Although he wasn't playing a lot earlier in the year he has contributed mightily to the Steeler's season. He has converted on ALL of the Steeler's short yardage TDs except for one this season, he has obviously steped into the starting role while Staley has been hurt and the O hasn't missed a beat... but the most important contribution to the Steelers is his unselfish attitude. He was demoted to 2nd string / TD machine this year and never complained (Staley deserves a mention here too in the unselfish category -- giving up the short yardage job without complaint). Instead, Bettis excelled at his new role and stayed ready to take the entire rushing load if needed. So based on his play and off-field contributions I think the Steeler's MVP is Bettis.

I have made the Brady / Big Ben comparisson before... both are just so poised.

Brady is the NE MVP I think.

For the Steelers...

Farrior is playing outstanding defense....

Ben is playing great....

But I think the Steelers MVP is Jerome Bettis.  Although he wasn't playing a lot earlier in the year he has contributed mightily to the Steeler's season.  He has converted on ALL of the Steeler's short yardage TDs except for one this season, he has obviously steped into the starting role while Staley has been hurt and the O hasn't missed a beat... but the most important contribution to the Steelers is his unselfish attitude.  He was demoted to 2nd string / TD machine this year and never complained (Staley deserves a mention here too in the unselfish category -- giving up the short yardage job without complaint).  Instead, Bettis excelled at his new role and stayed ready to take the entire rushing load if needed.  So based on his play and off-field contributions I think the Steeler's MVP is Bettis.

580335[/snapback]

The Bus and Farrior are good choices. Despite his sub-par performance yesterday, I would throw Hines Ward's name out there. Dude also doesn't whine and cry that he's not getting the TDs. He is the toughest guy on that team, and is a leader by example, giving 100% every play whether he's going to touch the ball or not, and fighting for extra yards every time he does touch it.

Having said all that, I think it is clear as day that the MVP (if we can substitute "Person" for "Player") is Dick LeBeau. Period.