[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Offline Drafting

tonyr0802

My local has decided to do an offline draft this year. This will be my first time holding an offline draft, and as the commish I want to make sure I've got everything covered.

I'm not sure there will be internet access, but I could bring my laptop so that there is atleast a computer. Aside from a way to manage available players, keeping track of who drafted who- is there anything else I should be thinking of? Any tips from the experts who've done this many times before?

I am in 3 different leagues, one of which i am the commish. I think off-line drafts when possible are so much more fun.

A few pointers....

You as the commish needs to keep the cheat sheet up to date. If possible a projector and lap top work the best. Otherwise on paper is fine you just might have to answer this question a lot " Is John Doe gone yet?" and that gets old.

Time limits are of the utmost importance, if beer is involed after the 2 hour of picks the beer will take it toll and you will end up there forever. The higher the round the smaller amount of time. We usually do 3 mins for the first three rounds 1 for the rest. With a few breaks worked in there. To gather thougts and such.

And of couse keep the overall roster.

Have fun

:D

I always supply empty roster sheets so that the owners can fill out rosters as they go. This keeps them engaged and reduces the number of questions for you. Also, make sure that owner's know once a player is picked. He's yours no turning back.

Have your cell and they have your number, have their contact numbers.

One or two master draft sheets one for you one for another responsible owner to be the extra set of eyes.(making sure you don't skip anyone.)

extra pens and pencils for idiots who forget them

Blank draft sheets with team names filled out in the order of the draft order, one for every team.

huddle cheat sheat to cross of names after they are selected, i would use a non black felt tip. this way it is clear who is crossed off but you can still see their name.

a means of determining draft order, if not selected yet. cards work well.

a plan if one Megan Fox decides not to show up and can't be reached.

YOUR DRAFT STUFF, you need to take care of your own team too.

Copy of league's rules.

they call their pick you repeat (name) (position) (team) the so-in-so's select rudi johnson, runningback, bengals. write player under their team then cross off from huddle sheet.

stop watch, if you are strict about time.

change, 1's ans 5's depending on entry fee. and a list of owners that gets checked off when they pay. do the money first and don't let them flock upon you throwing cash and checks, and then you lose track of who paid what. call them up one at a time. good time to select playing card for draft order if needed.

if you have "speech" to give write it out in note form including recent rules changes, items up for vote, shout out to last years winner, new owner shout outs. and even agree on a date for next year's draft if possible

send them the time and location 50 times to til then

remove the pole from my rear, yes I know...

the laptop would look cool but i think paper is quicker in this case, and safer.

have all the crap ready the night before and all together, they will hate you if it goes poorly

A lot of good info above ... one more thought ... if AT ALL possible, have someone not involved in the draft record the picks on the "master list" ... paper, on the laptop, writing in on a large/posted draft board for all to see, whatever.

Have a non-owner track the picks as they go by gives you an extra few minutes to work on drafting your OWN team, rather than playing secretary all day.

Have your cell and they have your number, have their contact numbers.

One or two master draft sheets one for you one for another responsible owner to be the extra set of eyes.(making sure you don't skip anyone.)

extra pens and pencils for idiots who forget them

Blank draft sheets with team names filled out in the order of the draft order, one for every team.

huddle cheat sheat to cross of names after they are selected, i would use a non black felt tip. this way it is clear who is crossed off but you can still see their name.

a means of determining draft order, if not selected yet. cards work well.

a plan if one Megan Fox decides not to show up and can't be reached.

YOUR DRAFT STUFF, you need to take care of your own team too.

Copy of league's rules.

they call their pick you repeat (name) (position) (team) the so-in-so's select rudi johnson, runningback, bengals. write player under their team then cross off from huddle sheet.

stop watch, if you are strict about time.

change, 1's ans 5's depending on entry fee. and a list of owners that gets checked off when they pay. do the money first and don't let them flock upon you throwing cash and checks, and then you lose track of who paid what. call them up one at a time. good time to select playing card for draft order if needed.

if you have "speech" to give write it out in note form including recent rules changes, items up for vote, shout out to last years winner, new owner shout outs. and even agree on a date for next year's draft if possible

send them the time and location 50 times to til then

remove the pole from my rear, yes I know...

the laptop would look cool but i think paper is quicker in this case, and safer.

have all the crap ready the night before and all together, they will hate you if it goes poorly

916850[/snapback]

Excellent excellent information here, as well as in the other posts. :D I wouldn't have thought of these things. Thanks!

If anyone else has another tip- I'd appreciate it.