[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

3rd year wr theory

davehb1

As any Fantasy Football Owner worth their salt I have heard of the 3rd year WR theory, The idea that in their 3rd year most WR's have a breakout season. This theory hasnt seemed to hold true in 2005,

According to this theory these wr's should be enjoying their breakout years:

Charles Rogers

Andre Johnson

Bryant Johnson

Taylor Jacobs

Bethel Johnson

Anquan Boldin

Tyrone Calico

Kelley Washington

Nate Burleson

Kevin Curtis

Shaun McDonald

Brandon Lloyd

Bobby Wade

Justin Gage

Doug Gabriel

Arnaz Battle

Now some due to injury or suspension have not had the chance(C.Rogers, N.Burleson,etc...) and some are stuck in a really bad offense(A.Johnson) But otherwise this theory holds no water for 2005. Besides Boldin and A.Johnson no other wr on this list seems ready to be anything more than a decent #2 or 3 wr. And both Boldin and Johnson had their breakout years last year...

Now look at wr's that will hit their 3rd year next year:

L.Fitzgerald

Ro.Williams

Re.Williams

L.Evans

M.Clayton

M.Jenkins

R.Woods

D.Henderson

D.Watts

K.Kolbert

B.Berrian

S.Parker

C.Moore

P.Crayton

7 of these wr's were taken in the 1st round. Which if any will have the 3rd year breakout? And which will fall by the wayside?

I think Fitzgerald is already breaking out so cross him off the list.

Crayton seems to be in a good position. Keyshawn or Glenn have to break down soon and he's already showing some promise.

Clayton's showing signs of the sophomore slump but should rebound. One can say he had his breakout campaign last season as a rook. He might be comeback player next year :D ditto Roy Williams

Jenkins is not going to do anything until they get rid of Vick.

Samie Parker can't hang onto the ball but he's in a good position as well. Just that the KC offense seems to have taken a few steps back in the passing game this season.

Woods is done. stick a fork in him.

Moore is another dude that is on a bad passing offense but showed a couple flashes last season. Just don't seeing him being a "breakout" wr next season though

Reggie Williams is a Bust

Lee Evans has a good shot given that buffalo gets a starting caliber QB

There is no rule or theory that states any WR in his 3rd year will break out. Historically, however, if a given WR is gonna be a stud, he will usually breakout between his 2nd and 4th year. That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Brentastic

All I am saying is that there is DEFINATELY a theory that WR's tend to break out in their third year...talked about every year, EVEN HERE AT THE HUDDLE...

don't be a Megan Fox

I guess you are calling the writers at the huddle garbage?

Edited by alexgaddis

All I am saying is that there is DEFINATELY a theory that WR's tend to break out in their third year...talked about every year, EVEN HERE AT THE HUDDLE...

don't be a Megan Fox

I guess you are calling the writers at the huddle garbage?

1050884[/snapback]

And all I'm saying is, for me, there is no DEFINATE theory. In my mind, IF a WR is gonna be a stud, he will usually break out between his 2nd and 4th year. I don't automatically look at 3rd year WRs as sleepers. There are a lot of factors other than how long they've been in the league to consider.

No, I don't think DMD writes garbage. I also think that he along with other knowledgeable fantasy owners would agree with my theory more than your idea that a 3rd year WR will break out.

Edited by Brentastic

Then why do they do a feature on third year wide receivers?

:D

and ps - its NOT my idea, one I keep seeing on web-sites...

1050922[/snapback]

I edited my previous post to state "for me there is no definate theory".

To answer your question, because they believe there is something to being a 3rd year WR. I do think some 3rd year WRs are of fantasy interest because of breakout potetial, but no more than a 2nd or 4th year guy with similar upside. The original poster of this thread listed every 3rd year WR in the league and it seems most people have the illusion that the 3rd year is the magic year. I'm not saying it can't be the magic year, only that isn't the only magic year.

One more thing and I'll stop. I look at this 3rd year thinking as anything that becomes trendy. Yeah, maybe recently 3rd year WRs have been breaking out more than 2nd or 4th or 5th etc... and now everyone and their cousin is on the bandwagon like it's gospel. I'm simply trying to make all of you realize your flawed thinking and get you on the right track.

The original poster of this thread listed every 3rd year WR in the league and it seems most people have the illusion that the 3rd year is the magic year.  I'm not saying it can't be the magic year, only that isn't the only magic year.

1050942[/snapback]

Actually my original topic was questioning the "3rd year rule" I brought up players currently in their 3rd year and wondered where the breakouts are.I also posted wr's who brokeout in there 2nd year(Andre Johnson) Furthermore as a topic of discussion I posted players who are going into their 3rd year next year and asked what potential there was for them to breakout.

Do I believe that as a rule wr's breakout in their 3rd year? No. But I do beleive that history states that most wr's in the past do breakout in their 3rd year.

I was wondering when somebody would catch that. He is having a very good season on a horrible team. I would consider that worth a mention in this thread.

1050959[/snapback]

yeah but the switch to Alex Smith will put an end to that. stat.

There is no rule or theory that states any WR in his 3rd year will break out.  Historically, however, if a given WR is gonna be a stud, he will usually breakout between his 2nd and 4th year.  That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

1050804[/snapback]

Isn't the year between the 2nd and 4th year the 3rd?

One more thing and I'll stop.  I look at this 3rd year thinking as anything that becomes trendy.  Yeah, maybe recently 3rd year WRs have been breaking out more than 2nd or 4th or 5th etc... and now everyone and their cousin is on the bandwagon like it's gospel.  I'm simply trying to make all of you realize your flawed thinking and get you on the right track.

1050955[/snapback]

This 3rd year theory is presented because it takes between 2-4 years for a upside WR to get into the flow of the offense. I don't think anybody is taking it as gospel that there is any magic involved. Most informed FF's I know look at this information when trying to find a good value pick later in draft. By your own admission 3rd year WRs are making a jump up with greater frequency in recent years. I would say that your thinking is flawed if you ignore trends.

Just for fun, I'm gonna list the top 10 WRs (based on their 3 year average from my cbs.sportsline league) and the year they broke out.

Torry Holt - 2nd year (could even argue rookie year)

Terrell Owens - 2nd or 3rd year

Randy Moss - rookie year

Chad Johnson - 2nd year

Marvin Harrison - 4th year

Joe Horn - 5th year

Hines Ward - 4th or 5th year

Derrick Mason - 4th/5th year

Darrell Jackson - 2nd year

Isaac Bruce - 2nd year

Obviously different samples will have different results, but the top 10 WRs based on their last 3 year average seems like a fair sample to me. Also the term "breakout" is subjective that is why I listed 2 years for some players to avoid argument.

Why is there a 3rd year theory? Here's some examples:

Terrell Owens-2nd year 936yds 8tds - 3rd yr 1097yds 14tds

Terry Glenn -2nd yr 431yds 2tds - 3rd yr 792yds 3tds

Plaxico Burress-2nd yr 1008yds 6tds - 3rd yr 1325yds 7tds

Chad Johnson - 2nd yr 1166yds 5tds - 1355yds 10tds

Steve Smith - 2nd yr 872yds 3tds - 3rd yr 1110yds 7tds

Santana Moss -2nd yr 433yds 4tds - 3rd yr 1105yds 10tds

Bobby Engram -2nd yr 399yds 2tds - 3rd yr 987yds 5tds

Joey Galloway -2nd yr 987yds 7tds - 3rd yr 1049yds 12tds

Rod Smith - 2nd yr 237yds 2tds - 1180yds 12tds

M.Muhammad - 2nd yr 317yds 0tds - 3rd yr 941yds 6tds

Keyshawn Johnson - 2nd yr 963yds 5tds - 3rd yr 1131yds 10tds

Laverneus Coles - 2nd yr 868yds 7tds - 3rd yr 1264yds 5tds

Eric Moulds - 2nd yr 294yds 0tds - 3rd yr 1368yds 9tds

Marcus Robinson - 2nd yr 44yds 1td - 3rd yr 1400yds 9tds

Is it the gospel truth? No. Is there some truth to it? Seems that way...

Edited by davehb1

This 3rd year theory is presented because it takes between 2-4 years for a upside WR to get into the flow of the offense. I don't think anybody is taking it as gospel that there is any magic involved. Most informed FF's I know look at this information when trying to find a good value pick later in draft. By your own admission 3rd year WRs are making a jump up with greater frequency in recent years. I would say that your thinking is flawed if you ignore trends.

1050988[/snapback]

First of all, I said MAYBE and secondly, I recognized this trend long before there were articles written on it. Learn how to read. Did you read all my posts before showing the world how stupid you are?

Again, my whole point is that year number 3 is not the magic year, rather year 2,3,4 and sometimes 5 all have the same chance of being that breakout year for a given WR. Take a reading comprehension class and get back to me.

Why is there a 3rd year theory? Here's some examples:

Terrell Owens-2nd year 936yds 8tds - 3rd yr 1097yds 14tds

Terry Glenn  -2nd yr 431yds 2tds    -  3rd yr 792yds 3tds

Plaxico Burress-2nd yr 1008yds 6tds - 3rd yr 1325yds 7tds

Chad Johnson - 2nd yr 1166yds 5tds - 1355yds 10tds

Steve Smith - 2nd yr 872yds 3tds - 3rd yr 1110yds 7tds

Santana Moss -2nd yr 433yds 4tds - 3rd yr 1105yds 10tds

Bobby Engram -2nd yr 399yds 2tds - 3rd yr 987yds 5tds

Joey Galloway -2nd yr 987yds 7tds - 3rd yr 1049yds 12tds

Rod Smith - 2nd yr 237yds 2tds - 1180yds 12tds

M.Muhammad - 2nd yr 317yds 0tds - 3rd yr 941yds 6tds

Keyshawn Johnson - 2nd yr 963yds 5tds - 3rd yr 1131yds 10tds

Laverneus Coles - 2nd yr 868yds 7tds - 3rd yr 1264yds 5tds

Eric Moulds - 2nd yr 294yds 0tds - 3rd yr 1368yds 9tds

Marcus Robinson - 2nd yr 44yds 1td - 3rd yr 1400yds 9tds

Is it the gospel truth? No. Is there some truth to it? Seems that way...

1051050[/snapback]

Dudes, you are all missing the point. I'm not saying that WRs don't breakout in their 3rd year. I'm saying that year 3 is no more relevant than years 2 or 4. That's it, it really is that simple.

Dudes, you are all missing the point.  I'm not saying that WRs don't breakout in their 3rd year.  I'm saying that year 3 is no more relevant than years 2 or 4.  That's it, it really is that simple.

1051071[/snapback]

Actually I wasn't really responding to you. I was just throwing out some players and numbers. Everyone has their own opinion. But looking at these types of players and trends is interesting nonetheless