[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Past Posts put to the Test

Fenokee

Spend alot of time reading The Huddle message boards, and its clearly obvious (to me) that the football knowledge some of the veterans possess here far surpasses mine. I found some interesting thoughts in posts about "drafting the best value/player" (regardless of needs), along with the bye-week argument (ignore the bye weeks, even if it means having a large portion of your starters sharing the same bye week).

During my draft last week, both of these issues landed right in my lap. First year 12 team keeper (6 players, only 3 from the first 6 rounds, remaining 3 from rounds 7-18). I sat in the 9th spot.

1.09 took DD (HOU, Bye in Week 3)

2.04 drafted K. Jones (DET, Bye in Week 3)

3.09 (Going WR) Top 4 available in order of my sheet: A. Johnson (HOU, Week 3), R. Williams DET, Week 3), M. Clayton (TB, Bye Week NOT Week 3), DJAX (SEA, Bye Week NOT Week 3)

You can probably see where I'm going with this. I didnt hesitate much on my first two selections, but that Week 3 thing was staring me in the face. Took a deep breath and tried to put it in the back of my mind. When 3.09 rolled around, I could not ignore the bye week. Having my top RB and top WR (Andre, if i drafted him)from the same team also became an issue for me. Needless to say, the same problem existed with Roy Williams. So I moved down to Clayton and chose him at 3.09.

To make matters worse, 4.04 rolls around and guess whose still on the board? Yep, Andre and Roy. Again, I skipped over them and took DJax.

Ever since the draft, I've been questioning myself over these decisions. If I had followed the posts mentioned earlier, I would have had a pretty decent start to the draft, but my top four draft picks would all be off the same week (which, in the long term, may not have been that bad of a deal), but having those 4 players on just two NFL teams, may have had a larger negative impact over a 14 week schedule.

What do you think? Really curious to hear how others would have handled this.

The bye week did play into my draft choices, but having my starting RBs/WRs hailing from the same 2 teams is what I struggled with most. HOU and DET are not what I would consider point scoring juggernauts in the NFL, where (if they were) this may have been easier to swallow.

Edited by Fenokee

Yeah, I hear that... but you're talking about the top options to see the ball almost every time on those teams... they're still solid viable 'fantasy' plays. Andre slowed down dramatically after getting hurt last year, but I like his upside. Roy seems to have major skills. I think you know what you're getting in DJax... pretty solid production, not likely to go nuts and post 12-14 td's... Clayton is not a burner, but a solid producer in a scheme that throws quite a bit... I don't mind the 'eggs in 2 baskets' problem all that much...

Found it a bit ironic that 2 topics I found pretty interesting hit me square in the face in this draft. I'll be quite interested to see how Andre and Roy do this year. By end of the season, I will definitely have an opinion on how to approach this in the future.

So you wouldn't have hesitated to draft Andre and Roy, ending up a the starting RB/WR not from just one team, but two?

923489[/snapback]

Depends on your projected stats. If the difference--e.g., between Andre Johnson and Darrell Jackson--is negligible, then I'd go with Jackson.

That's the beauty of tiering--you don't get locked into drafting one guy simply because your (utterly fallible) stat projections say that one guy will score four more fantasy points than the other.

Utterly fallible.....well put :D

Stat wise, I think all four of these players are pretty close. The upside of Andre and Roy is higher (IMO). I'm happy with my WR corps (Boldin and Brach round it out). I was just curious about how the vets here would have approached the situation I was facing to get further insight into the bye week/clumping players from the same team.

If you ahd those WRs all projected very closely, then no issue with taking who you did. But, if that were the case, I'd consider what keggerz says and trade down.

Now, if you had Andre or Roy rated significantly ahead of the other WRs, you made a mistake not taking them.

Just as bye weeks should not be a major consideration when looking at your initial picks, neither should the player's team. Are you going to pass on Harrison if you have him rated as the best available player just becasue you drafted Edge?

It was an on-line draft, and obviously the situation cropped up during the draft, where I had 3 minutes to make a decision. But trading down never entered my mind. Seems like that would be a bit more difficult in an on-line draft versus all the owners sitting in the same room. Drafting them to trade is another option I overlooked (dammit).

Not many would think twice about landing an Edge/Harrison (even Wayne) combo. But Indy's offense is a wee bit more explosive than Houston's or Detroit's (altho the Lions are beginning to look very strong once they figure out the QB thing).

Having one RB/WR combo from the same team might work out ok, but I wonder how many people would have set their team up with two of these combo's. Still not sure if having that all season would be a good thing.

So you wouldn't have hesitated to draft Andre and Roy, ending up a the starting RB/WR not from just one team, but two?

923489[/snapback]

Me? Yeah, I'd have hesitated, but only because I don't have Roy Williams ranked that high. But if I did have R. Williams that high, then I'd have drafted him. But I think you'll be happy with D-jax, regardless.

I worry less about bye weeks than I do concentrating so much of my offensive talents in one or two teams. I did it last year with the Seahaws (Alexander, D-Jax, K, DEF) and that worked out fairly well. But there have been other years (Barber/Toomer and Burress/Maddox in '02) where I regreted that I did not do a better job of diversifying the teams my offensive skill players were on.