[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears ponder cutting T Jones?

Avernus

I just read this and it was reported yesterday or the day before

ANGELO WANTS TO GET BENSON DEAL DONE

With starting quarterback Rex Grossman gone for at least half of the season and no plans to acquire a veteran to complement the trio of Chad Hutchinson, Kyle Orton, and Kurt Kittner, word out of Chicago is that Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo is making a big push to get No. 4 overall draft pick Cedric Benson signed and into camp.

Benson has now missed three weeks of work in a dispute over the amount of his rookie deal.  We're hearing that a big sticking point in negotiations relates to the length of the deal.  The team wants six years, and Benson wants five.

From the perspective of a running back, whose ability to cash in as a free agent decreases significantly with each passing year after his 25th birthday, holding the contract to five seasons is extremely important.

We're also told that Angelo might be tempted to cut Thomas Jones and keep Adrian Peterson as the primary backup to Benson, in order to free up 2005 cap dollars that would be used to extend the deals of cornerbacks Charles Tillman and Jerry Azumah.  It's also possible that linebacker Brian Urlacher will be asked to tweak his deal in order to create some 2005 cap space.

As to the quarterback position, we've confirmed through separate sources our Saturday report that the Bears won't rush to sign a veteran to take Grossman's place on the depth chart.  Angelo, we're told, fears that he would take a pounding in the press if he signs any of the available free agents (Vinny Testaverde, Jeff George, Jeff Blake), since he previously passed on others like Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson, Jay Fiedler, and Jeff Garcia.  If any of the remaining signal-callers in camp get hurt, however, look for Angelo to make a move quickly.

Finally, we hear that Grossman's second serious injury in less than a year has opened the door to a full-blown quarterback competition in 2005, when Orton is expected to be ready to challenge "Glassman" for the full-time gig.

i think benson gets in soon. probably within the next week. would still give him time to at least know his assignments for the most part. i would then suspect he might get some looks in the opener. of course i'm being optimistic, but i would really be surprised if bears management doesn't get it done in light of another qb issue so early in the yr. the fans have to have something to cheer about....don't they? oh wait, we didn't last yr........DOH!!!

If I were looking to get rid of Jones (which I believe is stupid in the first place), I'd be looking to trade him, not outright cut him. Did Angelo forget that Jones averaged 4.0 yds/carry on the league's worst pass offense and also lead the team in receptions? This guy has to have some trade value.

I despise this kind of "reporting."

"We're also told (2nd hand, and from what source? the reporter's next door neighbor?) that Angelo might (big whoop--a lot of people "might" do a lot of things) be tempted (another red flag that this is pure speculation) to cut Thomas Jones...."

Must have been a slow day over at profootballtalk.com to churn out this kind of drek.

If I were looking to get rid of Jones (which I believe is stupid in the first place), I'd be looking to trade him, not outright cut him.  Did Angelo forget that Jones averaged 4.0 yds/carry on the league's worst pass offense and also lead the team in receptions?  This guy has to have some trade value.

928545[/snapback]

Exactly!! That article doesn't seem very accurate, nor make much sense. Jones has plenty of trade value, he won't get cut outright. Well it is the Chicago front office we're talking about.

This site as source does nothing but spew forth all possible conjectures, and if one sticks they promote the hell out of it as a sign of their 'accuracy.'

CUT a rusher like T Jones without any compensation is something so dumb, even the Bears wouldn't do it. And that's saying a LOT.

This site as source does nothing but spew forth all possible conjectures, and if one sticks they promote the hell out of it as a sign of their 'accuracy.'

CUT a rusher like T Jones without any compensation is something so dumb, even the Bears wouldn't do it. And that's saying a LOT.

928852[/snapback]

I was kind of hoping he'd be cut for a better situation somewhere else...

If I were looking to get rid of Jones (which I believe is stupid in the first place), I'd be looking to trade him, not outright cut him.  Did Angelo forget that Jones averaged 4.0 yds/carry on the league's worst pass offense and also lead the team in receptions?  This guy has to have some trade value.

928545[/snapback]

Trade him to NE for Rohan Davey :D