[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL has new National TV home

Hugh 0ne

Well the league got what it wanted, salaries linked to revenues and an equal chance for all teams to compete.

They never suspected their games would be relegated to a 4th tier cable channel that is known for late-night rodeo and the occasional bike race. I can see those TV revenues just come a-pouring in right now. Here's a great impression of NHL TV ratings over the last 3 years on ESPN. :D

Now here's what it will be like on OLN. :D :doah:

Note the remarkable similarity.

At least local FSN affiliates will carry their local teams, so I'll still see the Wild games. Will have to either visit my parents more often or find a bar in the Twin Cities that has CBC if I wan't to catch any Canadiens games though. :D

Will the NHL now have to play outdoors to satisify the namesake of that network?

This may work out for the better if they do another outdoor game like they did with Edmonton vs. Montreal a couple years ago though. Wouldn't mind seeing that on TV in the U.S.

yeah, they're a 4th rate late-night rodeo channel now. but that can change in a hurry, dig? they're owned by comcast after all. it'll be interesting to see what happens with that channel now.

they're gonna need an OLN2 though if they're gonna satisfy my april/may playoff hockey jones.

"Adding hockey to our lineup when the NHL returns to the ice with a fresh season, new energy, new players and a new attitude adds tremendous value to OLN and builds upon the momentum of our other premier sports programming like the America's Cup and The Tour de France."

:D:D:D Premier sports programming!!

Wonder how long and how much they paid for it???

I'm just thinking that I'd hate to be the person who had to write that press release and try to be positive about it. The only worse place they could have ended up is on GSN, following Extreme Dodgeball.

I guess I'm happy that hockey's on television at all, but I'm just worried at how the games are going to be presented. It's a lot easier to put cameras along a bike course than it is to present a hockey game such that you can follow it...

They should sign Melrose. I love that guy. Old time hockey through and through. Although his suits and haircut are horrible.

And while they're at it, get Clement and Pang. That ESPN crew was pretty good. :D

936824[/snapback]

you failed to mention the best hockey play by play announcer on the planet. :D

Gary Thorne is 2nd. to none. :D

When FOX took over the NFL, didn't they bring a lot of the play by play and color announcers over from CBS?

With no NHL use for the guys from ESPN, I would think they would just follow the league to OLN. I mean seriously, how many play by play announcers do you need to staff ESPNs NHL highlight show?

And thankfully, I do get OLN - channel 67 on my cable system. Unfortunately, the first game they are going to show is on opening night - the Rangers vs. the Flyers. :D

It seems that once again NHL tv games are going to cater to the big east coast rivalries, with the occasional bone thrown to the rest of the country when we have the Red Wings crammed down our throat. No, I don't have any latent bitterness towards what games typically get shown on national TV. Been trying to find a schedule of games that will be shown over the course of the season, but no luck yet.

Looking forward to lots and lots of playoff hockey on OLN though. :D:D

With no NHL use for the guys from ESPN, I would think they would just follow the league to OLN.  I mean seriously, how many play by play announcers do you need to staff ESPNs NHL highlight show?

936977[/snapback]

Well, I don't know about the others, but I know I've seen Gary Thorne doing some of ESPN's baseball games. It's extremely weird to listen to, because I recognize the voice (Gary Thorne's one of the few play-by-play guys who really stands out), but it just doesn't fit what's happening on the screen.

It'd be great if they could get Thorne to do some of ESPN's football games, though. His voice might be better suited for something a little more intense than baseball (not that I don't love baseball, of course)...

They should sign Melrose. I love that guy. Old time hockey through and through. Although his suits and haircut are horrible.

And while they're at it, get Clement and Pang. That ESPN crew was pretty good. :D

936824[/snapback]

and chicken parm. that guy is my favorite studio commentator guy in sports. buccigross and thorne will probably stick with espn. it'll be interesting to see how things shape up at OLN..

Edited by Azazello1313

936824[/snapback]

Unfortunately, Panger got a job as in Phoenix. I don't know if he will be doning play-by-play or color commentary. Being from Chicago I might be biased but I think Panger is one of the best.

• 2 weeks later...

john buccigross...

Most of the e-mails I received since last week have concerned the NHL moving to the Outdoor Life Network. What does it mean for the NHL, NHL 2Night and Barry Melrose?

First, there will be no NHL 2Night on ESPN2 this season.

Barry Melrose? He told the New York Post he would like to move on to OLN. Darren Pang has signed with the Coyotes, Brian Engblom with the Blue Jackets and Dave Strader with the Panthers. Bill Clement will find a home somewhere, whether it's in the studio or at the games. Ray Ferraro will call Oilers games … and sell 2006 Ken the Otter calendars door to door.

OLN hasn't announced any play-by-play teams or studio hosts, but with the season just five weeks away, I'm sure we'll be hearing news about the OLN hockey roster soon. Published reports have Mike Emerick and John Davidson as the top broadcast team.

I haven't seen whether there will be an NHL 2Night-type show on OLN, but I'm sure there will be at least some studio presence on game nights. Again, all of this will come out soon.

Is OLN a good move for the NHL? The bad news is that at least 25 million households won't get a chance to see Sidney Crosby begin his NHL career. That's a negative. ESPN2 is in about 25 million more homes than OLN. But Comcast is a broadcast powerhouse that will grow the number of homes it reaches by using its financial clout. Personally, I'm devastated by the news. Hockey is what gets my heart going more than any other sport, and I will miss covering it on ESPN. But the column will remain. And as I've said before, this is my favorite thing I do at ESPN.

As a hockey fan (assuming that you get OLN), you should just be happy that the games are on.

936229[/snapback]

I am. Doesnt really matter to me the commentators(do like the Thorne and Clements crew, so that would be a plus) or how it is presented as I am a hugh fan and have played so much hockey in my life that I can mute the announcers(if they suck) and just appreciate the action. I do hope they keep it simple and dont try any weak-ass gimmicks(ie Fox's glowing puck) to draw fans. Most exciting sport to watch bar none. Extremely happy to have the Coolest Game on Earth back again! Go WILD!

Here's the schedule of games on OLN this year

OLN'S NHL FULL TELEVISION SCHEDULE

DATES TIME  GAMES

October 5 7:00 pm ET NY Rangers at Philadelphia

October 10 7:00 pm ET Pittsburgh at Buffalo

October 11 8:30 pm ET Phoenix at Dallas

October 17 7:00 pm ET Florida at NY Rangers

October 18 7:30 pm ET Boston at Montreal

October 24 7:00 pm ET Detroit at Columbus

October 25 7:30 pm ET Florida at Pittsburgh

October 31 7:00 pm ET Montreal at NY Rangers

November 1 7:30 pm ET Chicago at Detroit