[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My Last Trip to JETS TC

Rovers

After tomorrow, Jets training camp is closed to the public, so today was my last visit. There is some fairly big news on the IDP front, which I posted over in the IDP forum. Now, for the offense....

Pennington threw a bullett 50 yards in the air to hit McCariens in stride for a 60 yard TD. He followed that up with a 45 yard pass that had more touch on it... which McCariens again took to the house. Bottom line..... if Pennington isn't 100% I sure can't see it. He looks to have more velocity now than he did in camp last year. He also hit Coles, Jolley and Gessner for TD passes today. He had one INT, all against the frist team defense, less Law and Abraham.

Coles may have some pain with turf toe, but it doesn't seem to affect him at all. McCariens continues to look very good, and Cotchery had had some VERY good practices this week. IMO, Jolley has the best hands on the team. He never drops ANYTHING. Even his mouthpiece. Both Baker and the rokie TE Dreessen continue to surprise me with thier route running and hands. Another condemnation of Hackett, the ex-OC. He could have used Baker a whole lot more last year as a reciever.

Martin looks very fast. Just as fast as last year, and maybe even just a hair quicker. Honest. The man is amazing at the age of 32. Blaylock on the other hand, has looked like chit lately. Not much burst, and seems to go down pretty easilly. Houston was not on the field, I have no idea why.

Mostly positives on the O side of the ball, although I still don't like the way Fabini and Kendall have looked on the left side of the O line. Fabini seems to hold every time he has to pass block. His run blocking still looks good. Adrian Jones, the second year ORT also seems to be doing well. Most of the bad news is on the D side of the ball, mostly in the D secondary.

Well, that's my last Jets scouting report from TC for this year. I hope some enjoyed! :D

After tomorrow, Jets training camp is closed to the public, so today was my last visit. There is some fairly big news on the IDP front, which I posted over in the IDP forum. Now, for the offense....

Pennington threw a bullett 50 yards in the air to hit McCariens in stride for a 60 yard TD. He followed that up with a 45 yard pass that had more touch on it... which McCariens again took to the house. Bottom line..... if Pennington isn't 100% I sure can't see it. He looks to have more velocity now than he did in camp last year. He also hit Coles, Jolley and Gessner for TD passes today. He had one INT, all against the frist team defense, less Law and Abraham.

Coles may have some pain with turf toe, but it doesn't seem to affect him at all. McCariens continues to look very good, and Cotchery had had some VERY good practices this week. IMO, Jolley has the best hands on the team. He never drops ANYTHING. Even his mouthpiece. Both Baker and the rokie TE Dreessen continue to surprise me with thier route running and hands. Another condemnation of Hackett, the ex-OC. He could have used Baker a whole lot more last year as a reciever.

Martin looks very fast. Just as fast as last year, and maybe even just a hair quicker. Honest. The man is amazing at the age of 32. Blaylock on the other hand, has looked like chit lately. Not much burst, and seems to go down pretty easilly. Houston was not on the field, I have no idea why. 

Mostly positives on the O side of the ball, although I still don't like the way Fabini and Kendall have looked on the left side of the O line. Fabini seems to hold every time he has to pass block. His run blocking still looks good. Adrian Jones, the second year ORT also seems to be doing well. Most of the bad news is on the D side of the ball, mostly in the D secondary.

Well, that's my last Jets scouting report from TC for this year. I hope some enjoyed!  :D

944952[/snapback]

Thanks for the info....

I am real excited about Jolley as I have drafted him as my tight end in 32 More Homers...I am also looking to grab Pennington as my backup QB in my local. Again, thanks for taking the time to post this info.

Hardrocker

Rovers, Do you see Houston having any value?  Could he take over the RB2 spot behind Martin?

945045[/snapback]

My knee jerk reaction would be to say no, not this year. However..... he has a running style that is very similar to Martin's. He has slightly less shiftiness, but slightly better tackle breaking power. Blaylock has to pick it up some. All three of these backs have a roughly similar style. Of the three, Blaylock goes down the easiest, but, when he is motivated, has more speed. I can see why KC went with LJ over Blaylock. I think he is best suited as a change of pace RB, but he has no hammer to be the lightning with on this team.

So, I think if Martin got dinged up, Blaylock would get his chance for a game or two. I think Houston would also see some action. Depending on how that went, yes, I could see Houston over Blaylock. BTW, Houston is doubtfull for Friday night's game against the Giants with a shoulder injury, which is not considered serious. He did not practice today.

Rovers -

I understand that at least one of those long TDs to McCareins he beat Ty Law. I also heard Law and an INT.

How did Law look overall to you?

Read your post re: Abraham. I'd use him as a situational pass rusher all season - Bryan Thomas is better against the run anyway!

Did Nugent lose his job?:D

945259[/snapback]

You still harpin on this!? :D You have to learn that yer Pats fan buddies are worried about my Jetsies and wishful thinking won't help! Nugent has continued to look very good. He doesn't hit many KO's out of the end zone, but his kicks have a very long hang time and come down around the five yard line. With the extra hang time, the coverage team usually makes the tackle inside the twenty. Between him and the new Aussie punter, Graham, whose punts are VERY difficult to catch, I think the ST's will have a good year creating turnovers. I've seen Graham punt the ball 75 yards. In the air. With hang time. He has a bionic leg, but has to get more consistant.

Vet.... Law was inexplicably absent from practice yesterday, the day after his first team practice. I suspect he isn't nearly as far along in his recovery as he has led people to believe. I don't know if he practiced this morning yet. Abraham? This guy makes me sick. 7 million isn't enough? Jerk.

The D backfield has some questions at this point. I think the Jets defense is being over valued some this year. My reasoning:

1. The safety positions, which will be some combination of Coleman, Celestin and Rhodes is very inexperienced. Coleman is in his second year with 16 starts under his belt. Celestin has a year in the system, but has very little playing time experience. Rhodes is a rookie. This group is bound to make some mistakes.

2. Is Law going to be healthy enough to really have an impact? Only Strait and the rookie Miller are there behind Law. Strait is not very good in coverage and Miller, who started camp looking like an all pro has struggled, seeming to have lost confidence.

3. Abraham still has not signed the franchise tender, and will be used as a situational pass rusher only in at least the first couple of games, maybe longer.

4. This new offense will result in at least some increase in offensive turn overs, and will see a reduction in the offense's TOP, putting the defense on the field longer this year.

5. Rookie Justin Miller, touted as a great returner has more than just struggled fielding punts. Cotchery appears to be the punt returner, as of now.

6. Aside from playing the Bills and Fins twice each, the schedule is more difficult than last year's was.

I think the Jets will struggle to be a top ten D this year, while the offense should improve it's point scoring output, maybe significantly.

Very good info here Rovers :D

I still don't see what the problem was with Doug Brien :D For some reason, I like that guy and wish the Jets would keep him. :D

Don't forget our bet. I'll have to keep reminding you, as I'm sure you have already hit the "forgetting things" stage by now. :D

Good stuff, Rovers. I always look forward to your reports.

And I've gotta say, I've been eye-balling McCariens as a late-round WR. Your reports seem to confirm that he and Pennington have some chemistry, and that the play calling is more conducive to McCariens' strengths as a down field receiver.

yo mama, I've been trying to trade for McCareins in every league I'm in that has completed a draft. He may outpoint Coles this year. In my local, McCariens was still there at 9.8, and I was ready to take him.... but went for Benson, hoping McC would still be there at 10.5. He wasn't, and I regret that pick now. He went at 9.11. I had to settle on B Edwards for my 4ht WR, while I'm sure McCariens will be a top twenty WR, with upside.

Men-u-do, I have not forgotten our sig line bet! I see Big Ben is making a lot of friends on the Steelers this year! :D:D:D