[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Predict which Defense posts the most Shutouts

Steeltown Dre

My league has massive points for defensive points allowed:

Points Allowed 0 points (18)

Points Allowed 1-6 points (14)

Points Allowed 7-13 points (8)

Points Allowed 14-20 points (5)

Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)

Points Allowed 28-34 points (-4)

Points Allowed 35+ points (-10)

The standard defensive points are also given:

Sack (1)

Interception (2)

Fumble Recovery (2)

Touchdown (6)

Safety (2)

Block Kick (2)

So this makes me want to draft a Def really early - in a 10 man draft I have this weekend I'm contemplating taking a defense earlier than average, perhaps in the 5th round.

Rank the top 3 Ds on the above parameters. Right now I'm ranking:

1. Buffalo

2. Baltimore

3. Pittsburgh

Do you think its crazy to take a D that early, given you get 18 points for a shutout plus all the other standard points?

I think the Steelers have the best shot at posting a shutout or two this year. Even so, shutouts are rare in the NFL. I would look at that 1-6 points allowed option, and make your prediction using that criteria.

Also, look for who is playing the Bears. (No offense, Bears fans, so don't attack me). The Bears look like they will just have a hard time scoring this year.

Thanks guys, also try to tell me:

Do you think its crazy to take a D that early (5th round), given you get 18 points for a shutout plus all the other standard points?

963411[/snapback]

5th is too early I think. Maybe 6th. What players were on the board when you picked?

Well the Bills do play the Dolphins 2 times, therefore, I see two shutouts :D

963144[/snapback]

Although the Bills shut out the Dolphins neither time last year, and this year the Phins have even a slight resemblance of a rushing game. In fact, the 2nd game last year, the Phins scored 32 pts on the Bills.

I would take a look at Washington also ... I don't believe they had much personnel change during the offseason (not sure), but they gave up few points also ... not as many 7 pt games as PIT but another option if you can't grab them.

one sec, we dont talk here "best defense" (thats balt i would say with the majority here), we talk "the defense with the chance to allow the fewest scores from the 16 opponents.

we not only talk positive points for shutouts etc, we also talk negative points for suffering high scoring games.

so, all teams playing in the conferences of indy, pats, philly, minn, rams and KC are ruled out. that leaves: Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, New Orleans

out of that list, considering opponents, schedule etc, i like carolina best.

care to check out average scoring of their division mates? :D

Thanks guys, also try to tell me:

Do you think its crazy to take a D that early (5th round), given you get 18 points for a shutout plus all the other standard points?

963411[/snapback]

Yes. Too early for sure. I dont' care if a D gets 75 pts for a shutout, you can't bank on a shutout. The top 3 D's might not post 2 shutouts combined all year. You are passing on TE's at that point and solid WRs, and some long shot RBs.

I play in a league that is similar to yours in D scoring and we have owners picking defense as early as the 4th round. I think it depends on the rest of the scoring in your league. In ours there are no points for receptions and other points for defense than those listed in your league, but defense inour league scores more points than receivers thus making them more valuable so drafting early makes sense IMO.