[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Player Criminal Records

michaeljordan ca

We had a new salesperson start work here this week, and when asked if he watches football he responded that he wasn't really interested except he would peek at the SuperBowl at the end of the year. He went on to state that 80% of the players in the NFL have a criminal record of some sort and although he didn't make a huge deal of it, it took me off guard. Now don't get me wrong I understand there are some mis-guided souls that play football, but I always thought that the majority of the criminals actually played basketball. ( not slagging basketball I actually prefer playing it) Does anybody know if there is any truth to this statistic or did he just pull this out of his a$$?

:D

We had a new salesperson start work here this week, and when asked if he watches football he responded that he wasn't really interested except he would peek at the SuperBowl at the end of the year. He went on to state that 80% of the players in the NFL have a criminal record of some sort and although he didn't make a huge deal of it, it took me off guard. Now don't get me wrong I understand there are some mis-guided souls that play football, but I always thought that the majority of the criminals actually played basketball. ( not slagging basketball I actually prefer playing it)  Does anybody know if there is any truth to this statistic or did he just pull this out of his a$$?

995066[/snapback]

I have no link but I recall reading somewhere last year that the percentage of folk with records in the NFL pretty much reflects the percentage of the normal population (but the media does not care as much if some account manager or burger flipper hits his wife)

Regarding the year 2000:

When asked to comment on a report that broadcaster Paul Harvey said 21 percent of NFL players have a criminal record, the commissioner seethed.

"We track 3,000 to 4,000 players every year in terms of criminal misconduct" and in the 2000 season there were 26 investigations and 11 convictions with most, except for Carruth, being minor offenses.

So it sounds like Tag was saying in year 2000, there were less than 21 percent.

There was a book written that claimed that 21 percent of NFL players had been convicted of a "serious" crime in 1996/1997. But, the statistics used to compile those results have been called into doubt.

Then, a number of reporters who apparently can't read have used that same "21%" statistic to say that 21% of the guys in the NFL have been convicted of any crime. Which ignores both the original claim of "serious" crime, and also the debate over it's accuracy.

I think you will find similar representative numbers for hockey, baseball and soccer.  People are people... sorry to dilute the obvious slant you were going for!

996033[/snapback]

Not sure what slant you're looking at but am I to surmise from your response that 80% of athletes are criminals? Is that what you think?

We had a new salesperson start work here this week, and when asked if he watches football he responded that he wasn't really interested except he would peek at the SuperBowl at the end of the year. He went on to state that 80% of the players in the NFL have a criminal record of some sort and although he didn't make a huge deal of it, it took me off guard. Now don't get me wrong I understand there are some mis-guided souls that play football, but I always thought that the majority of the criminals actually played basketball. ( not slagging basketball I actually prefer playing it)  Does anybody know if there is any truth to this statistic or did he just pull this out of his a$$?

995066[/snapback]

Easy.....ask for his "source"......I don't believe any obsured accusations without analyzing the source.... :D

end of argument

995066[/snapback]

Not to be a dick, but come on dude, use some common sense. 80%?!?! :D

Not sure what slant you're looking at but am I to surmise from your response that 80% of athletes are criminals? Is that what you think?

996113[/snapback]

I can provide clarity on that point. But first, are you referring to 80% of all athletes or 80% of athletes from a specific sport? Your last reply appears ambiguous and markedly different from your original inference to players in the NFL and NBA.