[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worst NFL Rule / Policy

Dr. Love

Other than not allowing all Lions fans a free kidney punch on Joey Harrington, the worst rule in the NFL has to be the block in the back rule. Not so much the rule itself, but the fact that it is completely ineffective. I would estimate that eight or nine of every ten potentially good and exciting runbacks are called back for a block in the back. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a rule (obviously, the block in the back is unsafe), but the situation as a whole has to have a better solution than what's in place now.

So what is it? How could this situation be remedied?

Edited by Dr. Love

It won't stop..it can't.

Just like there is pretty much offensive holding on every pass play, and some sort of illegal contact on every pass play. No play is ultra clean.

1001496[/snapback]

Right, but the league gives o-lineman some lienency in calling holding for the good of the game. So should the league give some lienency in calling the block in the back, should they stiffen the penalty to strongly discourage it, or is there an alternate solution not yet proposed?

Doc, the field is so spread on these returns, the blocks in the back are usually so blatant that it would be very difficult to give any leeway. The mere fact that the punt coverage is nothing but a bunch of guys sprinting one way, and then reversing course, it's just such an easy call for the zebra to make.

i could be mistaken, but i am almost positive i heard a punt return called back cause people on the punt return team celebrated early (before the guy got into the endzone, about 10-15 yards away). what is this?

1001531[/snapback]

There were a couple of bench players whose celebrations brought them onto the field while the play was in progress, causing too many men on the field.

There were a couple of bench players whose celebrations brought them onto the field while the play was in progress, causing too many men on the field.

1001538[/snapback]

oh, so that was what it was. i was confused.

:ref: one of the players said the words "yeah" so we have to call this one back