[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did Showalter stick it to the yanks?

whomper

Pulling his studs after the fifth in a game that had home field implications for the Yankees. What do you think? He was on Mike and the Mad dog WFAN today and he said he was just giving them a well deserved rest since they played so hard for him all year. Was teixiera, Blalock, Young etc going to collapse from a few more innings ?.Just curious to see what you guys thought. Im not a Yankees fan but I found this a little peculiar.

Edited by whomper

I'm not sure either why managers feel the need to rest these guys like that when they have the whole off-season coming up, but if the Yankees didn't start so poorly and had won another game or two, then it wouldn't have come down to that anyway, so it's just as much on them in my opinion. But I'm also sure that Buck didn't mind sticking it to Steinbrenner a little either. Buck rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but the truth is that he's probably more responsible for the Yankees run than anyone currently in the front office except maybe Gene Michael, and he was recently demoted or something again.

I think the Yankees had absolutely 0% to do with what Buck Showalter was doing.

I didn't hear him on the FAN though, I thought I read that he wanted them to get the ovation from the crowd (similar to basketball, I guess). That made sense.

If the Yankees cared about home field that much, Jaret Wright would not have gotten the start.

Pulling his studs after the fifth in a game that had home field implications for the Yankees. What do you think? He was on Mike and the Mad dog WFAN today and he said he was just giving them a well deserved rest since they played so hard for him all year. Was teixiera, Blalock, Young etc going to collapse from a few more innings..Just curious to see what you guys thought. Im not a Yankees fan but I found this a little peculiar.

1041215[/snapback]

I agree whomper. It does smell fishy when you want to "rest" his players when you are in the last game of the season. That being said, :D and I hope the Yankees get swept out of the playoffs in the first round.

To be truthful the Yankees have a better road record this year than at home.

Also their record against the West is better than any other division.

To win it all they have to win games from this point on if they continue to average six runs per game it doesn't matter if they played in Bagdad.

Pulling his studs after the fifth in a game that had home field implications for the Yankees. What do you think? He was on Mike and the Mad dog WFAN today and he said he was just giving them a well deserved rest since they played so hard for him all year. Was teixiera, Blalock, Young etc going to collapse from a few more innings..Just curious to see what you guys thought. Im not a Yankees fan but I found this a little peculiar.

1041215[/snapback]

Looks to me like the Yankees pulled all their starters on Sunday in a game that had playoff implications for the Indians (or would have, if the Indians had won).

Showalter just did what every other manager that isn't battling for a playoff spot does at this time of year.

Looks to me like the Yankees pulled all their starters on Sunday in a game that had playoff implications for the Indians (or would have, if the Indians had won).

Showalter just did what every other manager that isn't battling for a playoff spot does at this time of year.

1041954[/snapback]

Thats a good point but the Yankees pulled starters because they are heading into the playoffs. The Rangers were not and The Showalter factor is what makes this a story. You make a great point though. The situation is slightly different but its a valid point.

How can the Yankees piss and moan about Schowalter, and at the same time, pull Mike Mussina for Jarret Wright?

If they wanted home field advantage, they should have put the best lineup possible. They put setting up their playoff rotation as a higher priority than gaining homefield advantage, what does Texas have to do with that?

How can the Yankees piss and moan about Schowalter, and at the same time, pull Mike Mussina for Jarret Wright?

If they wanted home field advantage, they should have put the best lineup possible.  They put setting up their playoff rotation as a higher priority than gaining homefield advantage, what does Texas have to do with that?

1042476[/snapback]

Im just playing devils advocate but is extra rest to Mussina who is coming off an inflamed elbow the same as resting 3 or 4 guys that are 3 innings away from the offseason?

Edited by whomper

Im just playing devils advocate but is extra rest to Mussina who is coming off an inflamed elbow the same as  resting 3 or 4 guys that are 3 innings away from the offseason?

1042751[/snapback]

well, another difference is that one the one hand the yankees are dealing with their own destiny, and on the other hand texas doesn't and shouldn't really give a dam either way.

well, another difference is that one the one hand the yankees are dealing with their own destiny, and on the other hand texas doesn't and shouldn't really give a dam either way.

1042843[/snapback]

I guess the Yanks figured resting Mussina and taking their chances with Texas was a better option for them. The only reason this is a story in the NY papers is the Showalter factor..