[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SF/ARZ Def. fumble, Off. recovers

AtomicCEO

In the 4th quarter of the Mejico City game on Sunday night...

Tim Rattay was sacked and fumbled the ball... ARZ DE Calvin Pace picked up the ball and then fumbled it again, and it was recovered by SF G Eric Heitmann. So... the ball changed possession twice on the play.

MFL has this play credited as a SF Def/ST fumble recovery.

But SF's DF and ST were not on the field... SF's Offense was on the field. But, since the NFL is scoring it as a fumble for Arizona... mfl is defaulting the defense to getting credit for the recovery.

You make the call. How is this scored for fantasy purposes?

Edited by AtomicCEO

Possession changed on the play so SF BECAME the defense...thus, they RECOVERED a fumble and should be credited with it

1041992[/snapback]

But then you wouldn't have Team Defense scoring ever, because if that Cardinal LB hadn't fumbled again, by strict rules he is on offense which means if he scored he's an offensive player and the AZ D doesn't get any points.

Fuggedaboudit.

Also, if Tim Rattay had picked up the AZ fumble and ran it 80 yards for a TD are you going to tell me he's scoring for the SF Team D?

This is the Black Hole of Fantasy Rules and they collide with NFL rules. In fantasy terms it was NOT a team fumble recovery.

Possession changed on the play so SF BECAME the defense...thus, they RECOVERED a fumble and should be credited with it

1041992[/snapback]

But then you wouldn't have Team Defense scoring ever, because if that Cardinal LB hadn't fumbled again, by strict rules he is on offense which means if he scored he's an offensive player and the AZ D doesn't get any points.

1042011[/snapback]

This is the truth. There would never be a defensive touchdown if what you said is true. Because... once they recover the ball, they are offense (according to that).

It seems that mfl just doesn't have a system in place to deal with two changes of possession. Any fumble recovery is considered to be done by def/st because they don't look at the circumstances.

Also, if Tim Rattay had picked up the AZ fumble and ran it 80 yards for a TD are you going to tell me he's scoring for the SF Team D?

very good point...

I guaran-darn-tee ya if my opponent had SF D and they scored on a fumble re-recovery for a TD such as that NO WAY would I want them getting the points...

1041992[/snapback]

This is known as the Keenan Mccardell rule in our league..

i clearly remember this from that TB game also.....

my thoughts on it then:

both mccardell and the team d should have been credited with the td/FR.

imo- it's the change of possession that makes it a defensive FR. as said, if not we would have no defensive td's, etc.

In the 4th quarter of the Mejico City game on Sunday night...

Tim Rattay was sacked and fumbled the ball... ARZ DE Calvin Pace picked up the ball and then fumbled it again, and it was recovered by SF G Eric Heitmann.  So... the ball changed possession twice on the play.

MFL has this play credited as a SF Def/ST fumble recovery.

But SF's DF and ST were not on the field... SF's Offense was on the field.  But, since the NFL is scoring it as a fumble for Arizona... mfl is defaulting the defense to getting credit for the recovery.

You make the call.  How is this scored for fantasy purposes?

1041879[/snapback]

If you go the the "Gamebook" link from the NFL.com score page, it lists it under Misc Fumble Recovery, FWIW.