[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

seafood question

dmarc117

If you're getting King Crab legs, they're all frozen shipped from Alaska. So if that's how you're going, it's better to buy them when they're still frozen instead of thawed out in some fish market. If you're buying crabs bought from local waters, then go with the fresh stuff. Don't forget the Old Bay... Enjoy.

If you're getting King Crab legs, they're all frozen shipped from Alaska. So if that's how you're going, it's better to buy them when they're still frozen instead of thawed out in some fish market. If you're buying crabs bought from local waters, then go with the fresh stuff. Don't forget the Old Bay... Enjoy.

1213741[/snapback]

nod..... when you get those legs keep em frozen and they are fine....it's when you go back and forth (thaw- dethaw, etc) that you lose flavor and quality.

nod..... when you get those legs keep em frozen and they are fine....it's when you go back and forth (thaw- dethaw, etc) that you lose flavor and quality.

1213745[/snapback]

Yum, Completely forgot that crab season opened up around here. I might even get to go out with a buddy of mine and do some work over vacation. He's got a commercial license. Freaking hard-azz work, but the money is good. And all the crab you can eat.

One tip: remember to take the shells out in the garbage the same night. It'll only take one time of leaving them in your house overnight to learn that lesson. You will wake up and think somebody opened a third world brothel in your kitchen.

Yum, Completely forgot that crab season opened up around here. I might even get to go out with a buddy of mine and do some work over vacation. He's got a commercial license. Freaking hard-azz work, but the money is good. And all the crab you can eat.

One tip: remember to take the shells out in the garbage the same night. It'll only take one time of leaving them in your house overnight to learn that lesson. You will wake up and think somebody opened a third world brothel in your kitchen.

1213788[/snapback]

LOL. Nothing gets your day going like low tide at the pier in your kitchen. Where are you at that crab season opened? What kind of commercial license does he have? What species?

LOL. Nothing gets your day going like low tide at the pier in your kitchen. Where are you at that crab season opened? What kind of commercial license does he have? What species?

1214494[/snapback]

Dungeness season, opened December 1st in San Francisco. Up here (about 300 miles North) it was supposed to open December 8th, I think. But, I heard they might have delayed the opening because the intial Fish and Game survey found a bunch of undersize females.

I haven't heard anything about whether they opened yet or not, or how the hauls have been, or whether the fishermen decided to do their annual strike, so it may be a waiting game.

Dungeness season, opened December 1st in San Francisco. Up here (about 300 miles North) it was supposed to open December 8th, I think. But, I heard they might have delayed the opening because the intial Fish and Game survey found a bunch of undersize females.

I haven't heard anything about whether they opened yet or not, or how the hauls have been, or whether the fishermen decided to do their annual strike, so it may be a waiting game.

1215825[/snapback]

It always seems that something either shortens or makes the season start later. A friend of mine owns a trawler, I go out with him a lot during the season. Its a whole lot of fun dragging up everything. Good luck with the Dungeness.

It always seems that something either shortens or makes the season start later. A friend of mine owns a trawler, I go out with him a lot during the season. Its a whole lot of fun dragging up everything. Good luck with the Dungeness.

1216406[/snapback]

Yeah, it's funny. Every year, the one buyer on the West Coast sets a complete BS, lowball price per pound. And every year, the fishermen are up in arms about how they can't make a living on it, so they are gonna strike. Then every year, after striking for three weeks of the season, they decide to cave because making some money is better than making none at all, then go out and have to bust hump trying to make up for the three lost weeks of fishing time. :D You can set your watch by it.

Where are you at, I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of?? What kind of stuff do you go out for in the trawler? We get really good salmon and albacore runs, and my buddy does a majority of his business rockfishing, and has sweetheart deals set up with all of the good local restaurants. I am a complete greenhorn, and he mostly brings me along as good company and hired goon muscle, but, man I love getting out on the boat.

Yeah, it's funny. Every year, the one buyer on the West Coast sets a complete BS, lowball price per pound. And every year, the fishermen are up in arms about how they can't make a living on it, so they are gonna strike. Then every year, after striking for three weeks of the season, they decide to cave because making some money is better than making none at all, then go out and have to bust hump trying to make up for the three lost weeks of fishing time. :D You can set your watch by it.

Where are you at, I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of?? What kind of stuff do you go out for in the trawler? We get really good salmon and albacore runs, and my buddy does a majority of his business rockfishing, and has sweetheart deals set up with all of the good local restaurants. I am a complete greenhorn, and he mostly brings me along as good company and hired goon muscle, but, man I love getting out on the boat.

1218470[/snapback]

I'm in NYC now but grew up on Long Island. We go for everything on his trawler including squid, flounder, long lining for stripers, marlin. When the gulf stream hits us right we rig up for school tuna. Montauk is the ultimate for fishing on the East Coast.

Man i thought i had it good with Lake Michigan Coho, Steelhead and Lake Perch! We settle for frozen crab, lobster and other ocean seafood. Restaurants downtown Chicago and here in SW lower Mich claim to have fresh flown in but i wonder how fresh sometimes. You guys are lucky, although there isnt much better in my opinion than fresh right out of the lake, right on the grill. :D

Edited by Cunning Linguist

Man i thought i had it good with Lake Michigan Coho, Steelhead and Lake Perch! We settle for frozen crab, lobster and other ocean seafood. Restaurants downtown Chicago and here in SW lower Mich claim to have fresh flown in but i wonder how fresh sometimes. You guys are lucky, although there isnt much better in my opinion than fresh right out of the lake, right on the grill.  :D

1220568[/snapback]

Hey man there's nothing wrong with Steelhead and Perch. When you're on the ocean you just have more of a variety, but you need to steam out for a while for the school tuna, mahi mahi, marlin, stuff like that. We need to get out to the continental shelf for the fun stuff. It's around a 5 hour steam.

As was pointed out, there is know real "fresh" crab legs-unless your crewing a boat, and then it's your dinner. Most, if not all, crablegs from the Great NorthWest are chunked into ice or a freezer there on the trawler when there caught. Your choices should be-Snow Crab, King Crab or Dungeness, for my money I always go Dungeness "clusters", as I truly find them to outclass King Crab, but that's just my taste. However, only go with Snow Crab if the other two are not availabel-Peace PD.

PS-Go out and buy a seafood steamer, as it's the only way to go.