[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Must-win for Ind against Ari

skinpig

No team in 39 years has won the SB after losing their last 3 regular season games. :D

1241292[/snapback]

When ever I see stats like this during a game, I always wonder who the hell looks up stuff like this? I always enjoy the non-sensical stats like "No RB has ever rushed for more then X yards against a over .500 team when at home in Decmber during a night when the temp is under 20 degrees."

The final 3 losses (if they were to lose) will be meaningless. As pointed out above, the only meaningful loss in any way was against SD. After that loss, the rest didn't matter. The death of James Dungy just added a little more complication to the Seattle game that Indy wasn't really playing to win.

Even pulling the starters after a series or two, I think Indy's "backups" still shouldn't have a problem with Arizona.

The only thing that stands between them and the Super Bowl is themselves. After this weekend, regular season records and performance really don't matter (other then bracketing).

When ever I see stats like this during a game, I always wonder who the hell looks up stuff like this?  I always enjoy the non-sensical stats like "No RB has ever rushed for more then X yards against a over .500 team when at home in Decmber during a night when the temp is under 20 degrees."

The final 3 losses (if they were to lose) will be meaningless.  As pointed out above, the only meaningful loss in any way was against SD.  After that loss, the rest didn't matter.  The death of James Dungy just added a little more complication to the Seattle game that Indy wasn't really playing to win.

Even pulling the starters after a series or two, I think Indy's "backups" still shouldn't have a problem with Arizona.

The only thing that stands between them and the Super Bowl is themselves.  After this weekend, regular season records and performance really don't matter (other then bracketing).

1241863[/snapback]

Never let facts get in the way of a good arguement. :D

While I respect your opinion, it is just that--opinion. I always like to defer to the facts.

Here are a few more tidbits for you.

The last team to come close to winning a SB after losing their last 3 games was the 1989 Broncos. They lost 3 out of their last 4 games, but still made it to the big dance--only to get destroyed by the 49ers, 55-10.

Before that, the 1980 Eagles also lost 3 out of their last four games, but made it to the show--losing to the wildcard Raiders, 27-10.

No other team has even made it to the SB after losing 3 of their last 4 regular season games.

History suggests that this game Sunday against the Cardinals is a must-win game for the Colts.

Stick a fork in them if they lose. :D

Now that is opinion.

No AFL team had ever won the Super Bowl.

Until the Jets did it.

No team that had the NFL rushing leader ever won the Super Bowl.

Untill the Cowboys did it.

No team had ever lost their first two games of the season and gone on to win the Super Bowl.

Until the Cowboys did it.

No wild card team had ever won the Super Bowl.

Until Denver did it.

Since the current play-off system, no NFC team lower than a #2 seed had ever made it to the Super Bowl.

Until Carolina did it.

New England had never won a Super Bowl.

Until they did.

Stupid stats.

Do me a favor, see if you kind find a stat on how many teams clinched home field thorughout the play-offs in 13 games.

Edited by CaptainHook

Although I don't see this as a must win game.....If they play their starters for a few minutes and then sit them again.....It will be 3 weeks since they have had to play a full game before the first playoff game and 4 full weeks until their offense has actually looked sharp for a substantial period of time.

I don't suscribe to the ultra-conservatism of resting starters like the Colts did last week. I can see playing them a half.....but not even a full quarter?

I guess I will easily be proven wrong when the Colts make it to the superbowl, but going from rusty to immediately turning it on, over a full month should worry some Colts fans...no?

Although I don't see this as a must win game.....If they play their starters for a few minutes and then sit them again.....It will be 3 weeks since they have had to play a full game before the first playoff game and 4 full weeks until their offense has actually looked sharp for a substantial period of time.

I don't suscribe to the ultra-conservatism of resting starters like the Colts did last week.  I can see playing them a half.....but not even a full quarter?

I guess I will easily be proven wrong when the Colts make it to the superbowl, but going from rusty to immediately turning it on, over a full month should worry some Colts fans...no?

1242144[/snapback]

I agree, going a month without a meaningful game is worrisome. But they played most of their starters against SD. A bunch of guys got hurt in that game. Edge played the first half in Seattle, but do you want Manning behind an offensive line missing it's injured RT? Most of the guys who sat vs. Seattle were injured. Sanders' back, Simon's foot, June's knee, Mathis' knee, Freeney's foot, Diem's knee, Marvin's finger. They had legit reason to be sitting when they didn't need to play.

Never let facts get in the way of a good arguement. :D

While I respect your opinion, it is just that--opinion. I always like to defer to the facts.

1242097[/snapback]

What facts? You are citing past evenys and the past does not predict the future. It may compare probabilities or possibilities, but the only thing that matters is play on the field.

Oakland did it first.

Listen, it's been a rough 3 years... I gotta grab at somethign here!

1242201[/snapback]

I was referring to the current play-off format started in 1990. But you are correct, the 1980 Raiders also won the Super Bowl as a Wild Card.

i think it is more of a must win game for Arizona :D

Colts will be more than fine and nonsensical stats are meant to be rewritten ...and broken

Colts will be there the last Sunday of the Football season and probably walking off the field with the Trophy ( unless Giants can stop them ...hint: Giants Fan here )

Edited by isleseeya

I would also like to know how many times in the past 39 years did a team lose it's last 3 games, AND STILL MAKE THE PLAY-OFFS.  Let alone as a #1 seed. . .

1242159[/snapback]

In the Super Bowl Era? ZERO! As a #1 seed.

However it has been done:

2001 Oakland Raiders. Won the AFC West with a 10-6 record. #3 seed overall. Beat the Jets in the Wild Card round. Lost the infamous OT game @ New England in the Divisional round.

2000 Minnesota Vikings. Won the NFC Central with an 11-5 record. #2 seed overall. Beat the Saints in the Divisional round. Got hammered by the Giants in the NFC Championship, 41-0.

1999 Detroit Lions. Lost last 4 games. 3rd place NFC Central with an 8-8 record. #6 seed overall. Lost @ Washington in Wild Card round.

1991 LA Raiders. 3rd place AFC West with a 9-7 record. #5 seed overall. Lost @ Chiefs in Wild Card round.

1986 NY Jets. Lost last 5 games. 2nd place AFC East with a 10-6 record. #4 seed overall. Beat Chiefs in Wild Card round. Lost in OT @ Cleveland in Divisional round.

1969 LA Rams. Won the NFL Coastal with a 11-3 record. #3 seed overall. Lost @ Minnesota in Divisional round.

Here's things I gathered about the 78 SB teams and how they finished the regular season:

18 lost their last game. 6 of those won the SB. The last to make it, 2004 Philadelphia Eagles. The last to make it before that was also the last to win it, the 1999 St. Louis Rams. Before that, the last to make it was the 1994 San Francisco 49ers, who also won it.

3 lost their last 2 games. The last to make it, 2004 Eagles. Only team to win it, 1967 Green Bay Packers.

Even if the Colts win on Sunday, the Super Bowl teams have a winning record in the last 4 weeks of the season (3-1 or better) in 65 of 78 examples. Of the 13 teams with 2-2 (11) or 1-3 (2) records, the last to make it (besides last year's Eagles) was the 1998 Denver Broncos, who also won it.

Note: the SB champ went 2-2 to close the season in 1967 (GB), 1969 (KC), 1995 (Dallas), 1997 (Denver), and 1998 (Denver, again).

The 1998 Broncos (the last team to really really threaten to go undefeated) lost weeks 15 and week 16 before beating Seattle 28-21 on the closing weekend at home (the loss kept the Seahawks out of the playoffs). The way this team dominated the NFL that season bares a resemblence to what the Colts managed to do this year.

No AFL team had ever won the Super Bowl. 

Until the Jets did it.

No team that had the NFL rushing leader ever won the Super Bowl. 

Untill the Cowboys did it.

No team had ever lost their first two games of the season and gone on to win the Super Bowl.

Until the Cowboys did it.

No wild card team had ever won the Super Bowl.

Until Denver did it.

Since the current play-off system, no NFC team lower than a #2 seed had ever made it to the Super Bowl.

Until Carolina did it.

New England had never won a Super Bowl.

Until they did.

Stupid stats.

Do me a favor, see if you kind find a stat on how many teams clinched home field thorughout the play-offs in 13 games.

1242101[/snapback]

COOL!!! That means that the #6 seed could very well advance to the Superbowl this year... GO STEELERS!!!!! :D