[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings fire D coordinator Cottrell

Guggs

Thats good because they are going to hire...

Tomlin to be named D-coordinator

Last Update: 1/9/2006 5:57:26 PM

Anthony Maggio

KFAN dot com

A day after sending most of the Vikings coaching staff packing, Brad Childress was on the verge of making his first hire on Monday night. The Wilf’s private jet flew to Tampa, Fla., on Monday afternoon to pick up Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin and arrived back in the Twin Cities just after 5 p.m.

Tomlin will likely be named Minnesota’s defensive coordinator on Tuesday.

“Pretty much we’re just going to make sure the terms are workable,” Tomlin’s agent Brian Levy said.

The 33-year-old coach has spent the last five seasons in Tampa in the same coaching position after coaching the defensive backs at the University of Cincinnati from 1999-2000. Tomlin spent a year as wide receivers coach and a season as defensive backs coach for Arkansas State before coaching the Bearcats, and also spent a season coaching at Virginia Military Institute and Memphis, respectively.

Levy said that the interest in Tomlin would begin picking up once head coaching decisions had been made around the league, but that the Vikings provided a good fit.

“Brad’s an offensive coach, so Mike would have some autonomy,” Levy said. “It’s certainly a nice match.”

Tomlin, a three-year starter at wide receiver for William & Mary, played his college ball with current Vikings safety Darren Sharper.

Minnesota Vice President of Public Affairs Lester Bagley did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Levy said he did not see a deal getting done Monday night, but with Tomlin in town the contract would likely be signed sometime on Tuesday

That poor bastud can't get out of his own way.

The guy had a great defense in Buffalo and was one of the "hot" coordinators not long ago. His name came up regularly for potential HC jobs. But from the few soundbites I've heard from him, I don't think he ever mastered the English language well enough to get through the interviewing process. Then he came to the Jets and his career turned to shucks. From a top DC in Buffalo to fired by the Jets and the Vikings within two years. Jeezus. Poor bastud will be on skid row soon telling all the other bums how he could have been a contender.

No - I think he will do good - he will be hungry to succeed. Here is a good article:

Vikings: Fresh face takes over defense

Known for his energy, youth and grasp of the "Tampa 2" defense, Mike Tomlin is the new defensive coordinator.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: January 11, 2006 – 7:06 AM

Vikings defensive end Darrion Scott was strolling through Winter Park on Tuesday when someone introduced him to Mike Tomlin.

"I didn't know who it was," Scott said. "He looked like a young guy. I'm like, 'Who is this?' Is this [a player] we're bringing in that we want to sign?' "

No, as Scott soon learned, Tomlin was announced Tuesday as the Vikings' new defensive coordinator. At 33 years and 10 months, Tomlin is younger than any coach who held a coordinator's title in 2005. New England wunderkind Eric Mangini, who had carried that distinction, is 14 months older than Tomlin.

Yet Vikings coach Brad Childress moved swiftly this week to secure Tomlin, whose burgeoning reputation as an energetic teacher -- as well as his connection to the so-called "Tampa-2" defense -- figured to make him a hot commodity for openings around the NFL. A day after traveling to the Twin Cities in owner Zygi Wilf's private jet, Tomlin signed a three-year contract worth approximately $1.5 million.

Childress interviewed no other candidates for the position and quickly is establishing a faith in young assistants. A first-time head coach, Childress appears intent on hiring 36-year-old Darrell Bevel as his offensive coordinator, probably by the end of the week. Although he comes from an offensive background, Childress expressed no reservations Tuesday about turning over his defense to a coach with Tomlin's experience level.

"Sometimes these coaching years are like dog years." Childress said. "It's all relative. I think [what's important] is the experiences through the course of it. [Tomlin] is a guy that has coached in and won the Super Bowl [with Tampa Bay in 2002]. You can't put a premium on that.

"When people are aspiring to win a Super Bowl, they are looking at a guy that has managed to get there and managed to win it. I think that's as big as anything as opposed to the age."

Tomlin is seven months older than the Vikings' oldest defensive player, nose tackle Pat Williams, but the Vikings conceivably could have a few more aged veterans by the beginning of training camp. Asked if he thought Tomlin could project the authority to lead a defense, Childress said: "There will be no doubt about it."

Tomlin is willing to work

As the Buccaneers' defensive backs coach for the past five years, Tomlin was credited with developing cornerbacks Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly while also filling a leadership role left by former Bucs secondary coach Herman Edwards. Players responded to his intelligence and energy, and Tomlin said his best attribute is "my willingness to work."

"We run a player-friendly scheme," Tomlin added. "But at the same time, the expectation level is very high, and the attention to detail is very high. From the outside looking in, it doesn't appear to be a lot of volume, but the attention to detail and the expectation level will make it difficult."

The scheme is similar to the one former Bucs assistant Lovie Smith brought to St. Louis in 2003 and to Chicago last season. In 2005, the Bears were the NFL's second-ranked defense and won the NFC North with an 11-5 record.

"In this particular division," Childress said, "right now it's all about the Chicago Bears. That is [Tomlin's] defense. What better way to beat that defense than to practice against it?"

The Vikings figure to be active on the free-agent market to retrofit their personnel to the scheme. They almost certainly will upgrade their speed at linebacker, but Tomlin said: "I'm not going to rush and prejudge any of [the existing players]. I look forward to meeting them all."

One player he doesn't have to meet is Scott, who said Tuesday that Tomlin's attitude and confidence seemed to compensate for his youth.

"Looking at the guys we have on defense, I'm sure any coach would be excited to work with us," Scott said. "I really can't say if his age is going to affect us or not. He could know more than somebody else who has been in the league for 10 or 15 years. He could have better knowledge of the game than somebody else and just have the knack to know how to put guys in a position to make plays."