[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The horses

Brewer

Going to the local racino friday night. I will be utilizing Sore's winning strategy for video poker for a few hours. But then, just to piss away my winnings, I may place a few bets on the ponies which are simulcast at the facilities track. I believe that they will have Pompano and the Meadowlands simulcast while I am there. Only played the ponies twice, and that was several years ago. Any tips or suggestions from the huddle wizards? If nothing else, I'm sure that I can drink up the proceeds from my video poker winnings at the gentlemen's establishement down the road on the way home. :D

I play the ponies fairly often, without knowing any who are running it is hard to say what to bet on. One thing we do is, pick your 2 favorite numbers between 1-9 and box them all day.. say 2-5 for all 10 races.. I've come home BROKE or hit a couple that paid around 80-100 bucks.

Look at the form and see who the top 2 jockeys are and bet on them. you wont win BIG but you will win something..

played for many years ...not an easy game ... it takes alot of practice and studying ..its good to begin by getting the program and seeing what the horses did in their previous races ...and what kind of race where they in ...if they were in a hgher class ( higher purse money ) in their previous race and then they drop down to a lower class it likely ( not always ) increases their chance for a good performance

also check their workouts ...sharp horses normally have good solid workouts before the race

and check the jockey and his winning percentage

there are other factors to consider but if you must start somewhere ...gl

. p.sby the way my best advice is to avoid the ponies ..i know very few people who have won consistently more than they lost

. p.sby the way my best advice is to avoid the ponies ..i know very few people who have won consistently more than they lost
This is very good information by isleseeya.

I have been gambling on the horses for about 7 years and it is very hard to make money betting on horses that you have never seen before.

But if you do feel the need to bet on the horses, my suggestion is to keep your bets easy . I would suggest making win-place-show bets or maybe an exacta (pick the first two horses). Stay away from the other exotics like the trifecta and superfecta. The payouts are tempting but they are very hard to hit.

You said that they will be simulcasting The Meadowlands which can be a hard track to handicap becasue they have the best horses and drivers in the US. One of the hottest drivers over the last year has been Ron Pierce and Cat Manzi won the 2005 win title so you may want to keep an eye on their drives.

Also, the track handicapper at the Meadowlands is usually pretty good so you may want to check out his selections.

US Trotting Association is a good website to check out for handicapping tips and you can see what horses are entered for Friday night. They also have links to the track websites where you can get odds and other information.

Good luck

Edited by BYoder

My wife is related to a professional gambler. He's been kicked out of Vegas for card counting and everything. He said that if he ever had to do it over again, he'd do it different. By that he means he wished he was a professional pool player instead. :doah:

This is very good information by isleseeya.

I have been gambling on the horses for about 7 years and it is very hard to make money betting on horses that you have never seen before.

But if you do feel the need to bet on the horses, my suggestion is to keep your bets easy .  I would suggest making win-place-show bets or maybe an exacta (pick the first two horses).  Stay away from the other exotics like the trifecta and superfecta.  The payouts are tempting but they are very hard to hit.

You said that they will be simulcasting The Meadowlands which can be a hard track to handicap becasue they have the best horses and drivers in the US.  One of the hottest drivers over the last year has been Ron Pierce and Cat Manzi won the 2005 win title so you may want to keep an eye on their drives. 

Also, the track handicapper at the Meadowlands is usually pretty good so you may want to check out his selections.

US Trotting Association is a good website to check out for handicapping tips and you can see what horses are entered for Friday night.  They also have links to the track websites where you can get odds and other information.

Good luck

1262990[/snapback]

one of the best first posts i have even seen by a new member

Thanks for the info. :D I don't intend to bet big. My wife and some friends want to play the slots and then watch a band that is playing. I have no interest in the band (drummer from 10,000 maniacs) and even less interest in the slots. They do have some video poker machines, so I will practice with Sore's winning strategy. I can only sit for so long. Therefore I'm looking for something interesting to do for a few hours, and this sounded like fun.

I'll probably place a few exactas, and then just straight w-p-s bets. I've read David Brower's race reviews and will probably use them in conjunction with the drivers to make some picks. I'll let you know how I did Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks again for the input. :D