[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One of the Craziest Games In Playoff History

Menudo

I'm just reviewing the game in my head, and, wow, that game was absolutely crazy. Now, for your viewing pleasure, and to annoy some of my fans, the game in pictures:

1st Quarter

The crowd at the RCA Dome was fired up and ready to watch the Colts start on their Super Bowl march.

Terrible Towel amongst a sea of blue and white

The Steelers come out on fire, with Ben Roethlisberger moving the ball through the air. On the 2nd play of the game, he hits Heath Miller with a beautiful 36 yard pass.

Ben and Miller throw the game's first punch

6 Plays later, Ben hits Randle El to give the Steelers the lead.

Randle-El celebrates, as the Steelers grab the lead

Peyton Manning's first turn on offense didn't last long, as they went 3 and out.

Manning gets ready to try to escape his past playoff blunders

On the Steelers next drive Ben is hit and intercepted, but the defense steps up and holds the Colts to another 3 and out. On the Steeler's next drive, on 3rd and 10, Roethlisberger and Hines Ward connect on a big play.

Ward pusing for more yardage while getting facemasked

Ward is finally pushed out of bounds

2 plays later, Ben hits Heath Miller with a bullet and the Steelers go up 14-0, shocking the Colts crowd. The Colts then finally get a first down, but are forced to punt, and the 1st Quarter ends, 14-0 Steelers.

2nd Quarter

On the first two drives of the quarter, both defense held tough.

Big Ben attempts to elude the speedy Colts front 7

Then the Colts finally got it going on offense, moving from their own 2, all the way to the Steelers 1. The Steelers 'D' stood tall though, and forced the Colts to a Field Goal.

Larry Foote stops Edgerrin James just short of the goaline

The half ends, Steelers 14 - Colts 3.

3rd Quarter

Both defenses started strong, as neither team was able to score on their first possessions. The Steelers were able to pick up some first downs and kill some clock with some nice runs from Parker and Bettis.

Willie Parker picks up a solid 9 yard gain

After the Colts were sacked and forced to punt from their own 1, the Steelers took advantage of the great field position. They used 6 straight runs, with the last one being a Jerome Bettis 1 Yard Touchdown to extend the lead to 21-3.

Bettis soars into the endzone

Bettis spikes the ball following his TD

Bettis celebrates, as the Steelers seemingly have the game in hand

It took Peyton Manning only 6 plays to get the TD back though, after a gutsy call to go for it on 4th and 2 from their own 36 yard line, the Colts had gotten the ball to midfield.

4th Quarter

On the 2nd play of the quarter, Peyton Manning hit Dallas Clark for a 50 yard TD, pulling the Colts back to within 11. The Steelers got the ball back and ran off some clock, twice converting 4th down and 1's. One of those coming after a peculiar play where the referees determined there was no false start or offsides after they had ruled a play dead.

Cowher questions how there can be no offsides or false start on a play whistled dead

The Steelers punted the ball back to Manning and the Colts and seemed to have the game won when Troy Polamalu intercepted a Manning pass, fumbled and recovered the ball.

Troy Polamalu recovers his own fumble after an apparent interception

In one of the most questionable calls in NFL history, the call is overturned, and the Colts retain possession. 3 plays later, Peyton Manning hit Reggie Wayne for a TD, and then a 2 point conversion, and the Colts were back in the game, only down 3 points with 4:29 still left on the clock.

After a pass interference call on the Colts, the Steelers were held quickly, and the Colts got the ball back with one last shot to either tie or win the game. This was the spot the Colts seemingly were made for.

Cedrick Wilson is interfered with while attempting to catch a pass from Big Ben

After a 2 yard pass to Wayne, Joey Porter broke through and sacked Peyton Manning for a loss of 8 yards.

Joey Porter backs up his talk with a HUGH sack at a crucial time

Porter celebrates his big play

After an incompletion on 3rd down, Joey Porter and James Farrior came through with the apparent game clincher, sacking Manning at the 2 yard line.

Porter and Farrior converge on Peyton Manning for the sack

Bill Cowher and the Steelers fans were going crazy, they had just beaten the # 1 seeded Indianapolis Colts.

Cowher celebrates the sack that appeared to clinch a Steelers victory

Steeler fans in Indy celebrate the apparent victory

With the ball at the one, the unthinkable happens. Jerome Bettis is trying to score and he fumbles, it is picked up by Nick Harper, who appears to be heading for the unthinkable go ahead TD when Ben Roethlisberger makes his biggest play to date and tackles Harper with a little help from Jerame Tuman.

Ben Roethlisberger gets just enough of Harper's knee to save the Steelers

However, the Colts unbelievably had another chance, down by 3, the ball at their own 42 and 1:01 on the clock. A 22 yarder to Harrison and an 8 yarder to Wayne set the Colts up at the Steelers 28. On 2nd and 2, Manning took a shot at Wayne in the endzone, but the play was broken up by the Steeler rookie corner, Bryant McFadden.

McFadden makes a game-saving pass break-up

On 3rd and 2, Manning again is incomplete, setting up a 46 yard field goal attempt for the tie, to be kicked by the most accurate kicker the game has ever seen. The kick sailed extremely wide right, and the Steelers victory was finally complete.

Vanderjagt's kick is wide to the right

Vanderjagt reacts to his miss

The game was over, and despite a lot of adversity in the 4th Quarter, it was time to celebrate, the Steelers had done what almost everybody said they couldn't. They had gone into the RCA Dome and beaten the #1 seeded Indianapolis Colts 21 to 18.

The Steelers celebrate the victory

Steeler fans back in Pittsburgh celebrate the victory

Hines Ward rushes the field in celebration of the Steelers victory

James Farrior celebrates the victory with the Steelers fans in the RCA Dome

:D HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO !!!!!!

:D

Steelers :D

:D

Edited by Menudo

IND shouldnt have even been in a position to tie the game, guess it was just Fate.

What an insane in the membrane afternoon of football. The second game was almost as full of whacky calls and bizarre plays...

Vanderjagt's miss gives redemption to one of the worst calls at the goal line I've ever seen (when Cowher calls for a hand-off to Bettis who promptly fumbles it)!!!! :D

Vanderjagt's miss gives redemption to one of the worst calls at the goal line I've ever seen (when Cowher calls for a hand-off to Bettis who promptly fumbles it)!!!!  :D

1269332[/snapback]

That is a tough one to blame on Cowher. The Colts still had 3 timeouts. The Steelers needed a TD there. If they simply down it, the Colts use their timeouts, the Steelers kick the field goal, and the Colts get the ball back with about a minute left needing a TD to win it. The Colts offense can score a TD in 15 seconds, let alone a minute. Also, Bettis hadn't fumbled all season, and has fumbled very little in his entire career. This might sound strange, but, I would have downed it on 1st and 2nd down, and then tried to run it on 3rd. It makes them use their timeouts, and you still take a chance at the score. However, I really can't blame Cowher, a TD wins the game.

That is a tough one to blame on Cowher.  The Colts still had 3 timeouts.  The Steelers needed a TD there.  If they simply down it, the Colts use their timeouts, the Steelers kick the field goal, and the Colts get the ball back with about a minute left needing a TD to win it.  The Colts offense can score a TD in 15 seconds, let alone a minute.  Also, Bettis hadn't fumbled all season, and has fumbled very little in his entire career.  This might sound strange, but, I would have downed it on 1st and 2nd down, and then tried to run it on 3rd.  It makes them use their timeouts, and you still take a chance at the score.  However, I really can't blame Cowher, a TD wins the game.

1269394[/snapback]

Yeah, I think it was the right call. Still, why the HELL was the Bus carrying that ball like a loaf of bread? Too good of a player for that...

Yeah, I think it was the right call. Still, why the HELL was the Bus carrying that ball like a loaf of bread? Too good of a player for that...

1269404[/snapback]

It was one of those helmet to the ball plays. That still doesn't explain why he couldn't hold onto the ball, you are right, there is no excuse for it. My guess, is that he was only thinking of charging into the endzone and winning the game. I am just SO glad that they didn't lose that game. Bettis is one of my favorite players of all-time, obviously for his play, but just as much for his leadership and his actions off the field.

That is a tough one to blame on Cowher.  The Colts still had 3 timeouts.  The Steelers needed a TD there.  If they simply down it, the Colts use their timeouts, the Steelers kick the field goal, and the Colts get the ball back with about a minute left needing a TD to win it.  The Colts offense can score a TD in 15 seconds, let alone a minute.  Also, Bettis hadn't fumbled all season, and has fumbled very little in his entire career.  This might sound strange, but, I would have downed it on 1st and 2nd down, and then tried to run it on 3rd.  It makes them use their timeouts, and you still take a chance at the score.  However, I really can't blame Cowher, a TD wins the game.

1269394[/snapback]

running it on first down was the right call. you either score and the game is over, or you come up short and they have to use a timeout. or bus fumbles and almost costs you the game :D

seriously though, i think cowher did the only smart thing there.

Well, you know who I was rooting for in this game  :D but I have nothing but respect for Bettis. It would have sucked for Bettis to go out like that.

1269419[/snapback]

I truly think if they had lost on a play like that, Bettis wouldn't have retired. I think he is still on the fence right now. He has never once said he is going to retire. With his new limited role, he might opt to stay, if the Steelers come up short. If they win it, he obviously retires. That would be the fitting ending: The Bus goes back to his hometown of Detroit and leads the Steelers to the Super Bowl victory. :D

He'd better retire soon, its gotta be getting harder to find pants that fit him :D

Funny, I had the same thought, if the Steelers ended up losing because of his fumble he would come back for next year.

I think it is amazing that having been stabbed in the leg by his wife the night before, Harper is the guy to end up with a potential game-winning fumble return! :D

Without a shiv in his knee, maybe he would have made it all the way. Makes you wonder if Harper's wife cost the Colts a trip to the Championship game. :D:D

I think it is amazing that having been stabbed in the leg by his wife the night before, Harper is the guy to end up with a potential game-winning fumble return!    :D

Without a shiv in his knee, maybe he would have made it all the way.  Makes you wonder if Harper's wife cost the Colts a trip to the Championship game.  :D  :D

1269586[/snapback]

Hmmm, I wonder how much money Mrs. Harper had on the Steelers...

If the Colts had returned that Bettis fumble for a TD, I would have to say that game would have been one of the top games of all time. It reminded me of the miracle at the Meadowlands, Herm Edwards picking up the fumble and scoring the winning TD.