[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jim Bates...

piratesownninjas

He just announced he was leaving...

Why was he even brought in last year? To give us some false hope? And with the first pick in the the 2007 draft, the Green Bay Packers select...

When they hired him last year, I figured that he was going to be the next in line. All he does, is turn around a spare defense into a somewhat respectable one. Players loved him, he was the fans choice. This freakin GM is out of his darn mind. I've been seeing red for the past two weeks because of these bonehead moves. You fire a head coach that can't win playoff games, for a OC that can't put points on the scoreboard, and you lose one of the best DC's in the game. Bullcrap.

Edited by piratesownninjas

Why was he even brought in last year?  To give us some false hope?  And with the first pick in the the 2007 draft, the Green Bay Packers select...

1270091[/snapback]

What do you mean?

He left Miami when he couldn't get the HC job. He tried again to get this job.

He was brought in because he is a good DC. I hope he stays. Thompson is pinning a lot of hope on that imo. So far I'm not a Thompson fan. I would have kept Sherman unless a much better coach could be hired.

Bates was leaving for two reasons - one, was his disappointment at not getting the GB job; second, were his conversations with McCarthy - it wasn't quite clear in the press conference, but it sounds like even though there was a mutual respect and like for each other, they weren't necessarily 100% on the same page as far as where they wanted to go with the defense.

I'm disappointed Bates is leaving as well - I think he'd be at least as competent as Sherman at HC, and with talent flowing in as opposed to flowing out, the defense should have continued to improve.

McCarthy at HC and a mystery DC don't give me confidence in either matter.

What do you mean?

He left Miami when he couldn't get the HC job. He tried again to get this job.

He was brought in because he is a good DC. I hope he stays. Thompson is pinning a lot of hope on that imo. So far I'm not a Thompson fan. I would have kept Sherman unless a much better coach could be hired.

1270102[/snapback]

He had quit just before I made this post. Thompson is a complete jackoff.

Bates was leaving for two reasons - one, was his disappointment at not getting the GB job; second, were his conversations with McCarthy - it wasn't quite clear in the press conference, but it sounds like even though there was a mutual respect and like for each other, they weren't necessarily 100% on the same page as far as where they wanted to go with the defense.

I'm disappointed Bates is leaving as well - I think he'd be at least as competent as Sherman at HC, and with talent flowing in as opposed to flowing out, the defense should have continued to improve.

McCarthy at HC and a mystery DC don't give me confidence in either matter.

1270161[/snapback]

If McCarthy doesn't work out this will be a huge stain on Thompson's record. Decisions like this can be killers. Look how much damage the hiring of Ray Rhodes did even though he only lasted one season. Compounded by the fact that Holmgren recommended Andy Reid. One of the few mistakes Wolf made as GM but a big one.

Man, this team had better start winning, and soon, otherwise Thompson is going to see a sh*t fit out of the GB fans. There were a lot of people calling for Sherm to be fired, but there was also a growing sentiment to keep him for at least one more year. Nope.

Then, he brings aboard a guy that the majority of fans haven't heard of, with no HC experience, and not a part of any real success in the NFL. Okay.

Then, we hire some guy as the OC that was fired two years ago. Now he forces Bates out. Not to mention the fact that he'll probably be credited for being the person to drive Brett into retirement.

Thompson is supposed to be a smart guy and obviously knows a ton more about the NFL than I do. For his sake, he better get results quick because he's put his stamp on this team in a HUGH way.

The Jagodzinski hiring doesn't bother me too much. Mostly because I'm hopeful that he can bring some of that running game with him. And rumors were the other candidate was Paul Hackett.

He's interviewing current GB d-line coach Bob Sanders for DC. If he has the chops that could be a good thing. The system which the players seem to really like would then stay the same.

Other available candidates:

Dom Capers - runs 3-4 so I don't see how that fits the personnel

Ted Cottrell - seems to be respected around the league but didn't wow me in Minnesota

Donnie Henderson - eh...don't know much about him

Jerry Gray - had success in Buffalo

Rick Venturi - former Saints DC...please NOOOOOO...if he starts recreating the Saints of 2000-2004 in Green Bay I'm gonna be sick

I'm sure there are some other young up and coming guys who I've never heard of. Some mention of Singletary but Nolan doesn't seem very willing to let him go (he carries the asst head coach title).

Edited by A Little Bit Special

Anyone think Bates to replace Mangini in NE?

1271055[/snapback]

I sure as hell hope not.

Truth be told though (and of course this is not the case with NE) - I rather face a team with Bate as a DC than Bates as a Head Coach. Not everyone has what it takes to be a DC, but fewer still have that little something that makes players want to kill for you. Bates has that in spades.

Anyone think Bates to replace Mangini in NE?

1271055[/snapback]

He did work for Belichick in Cleveland, so it is a possibility.

Belichick will definately make the call to see if he is interested.

With Bates' experience and his stint as an interim HC, it could be a case where he doesn't want to coordinate for someone he thinks he is more qualified than, or has less experience (McCarthy). I don't think he would have that stumbling block with Belichick.

Edited by charty

He likely left GB and Miami, because he knew he would not get his chance anytime soon.  That would likely be the case for NE

1271465[/snapback]

Ask Mangini if that is the case.

He might not get his chance in NE, I'll give you that.

A reason Belichick might not want him is if he becomes the D coordinator for the Pats, the Pats have a great year, Bates might get a head coaching gig next year.

That would leave Belichick with 3 DCs in 3 years.

Bates also has his own system he's developed; not sure if Belicheck wants someone who may be less in-tune with him than someone who has been brought up in the Shao-Lin Multiple Style of Defense that Belicheck uses.

I hear the Lions are interested; of course, given what Bates has done the last few years, EVERY team with a DC spot open should be looking at him.