[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Patriots promote McDaniels to OC

Fantasy Jesus

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5264260

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) - The New England Patriots promoted 29-year-old quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels to offensive coordinator Friday, making him the youngest coordinator in the NFL.

"I don't really look at my age as being a factor one way or the other," McDaniels said during a conference call.

Charlie Weis left as coordinator after the 2004 season to become coach at Notre Dame, and no one took his place in 2005. McDaniels and coach Bill Belichick split most of the play-calling duties.

Wow - they are getting younger. Some people thought Bevell was young to be an Offensive Cordinator, he is 36 years old with 9 years of coaching under his belt.

1278492[/snapback]

I'll second that Wow. Brady turns 29 this year. McDaniels has maybe a year on him.

Hmm...could this be yet another shrewd move by Belichick? After Weis left he didn't replace him with anyone. Instead he took the role of OC himself. From this article it appears this guy McDaniels may have had a larger role in the offense than anyone realized. Now could it be that Belichick thought McDaniels was the guy to replace Weis, but rather than throw the kid to the wolves with all the pressure of succeeding Weis he kept the title for himself. That way if the kid faltered Belichick would take the heat. Now after a season of "apprenticeship" he's giving the guy his due.

Just a theory. :D

I'll second that Wow. Brady turns 29 this year. McDaniels has maybe a year on him.

Hmm...could this be yet another shrewd move by Belichick?  After Weis left he didn't replace him with anyone.  Instead he took the role of OC himself.  From this article it appears this guy McDaniels may have had a larger role in the offense than anyone realized.  Now could it be that Belichick thought McDaniels was the guy to replace Weis, but rather than throw the kid to the wolves with all the pressure of succeeding Weis he kept the title for himself.  That way if the kid faltered Belichick would take the heat.  Now after a season of "apprenticeship" he's giving the guy his due. 

Just a theory.  :D

1278618[/snapback]

Seems like a reasonable theory to me.

Hmm...could this be yet another shrewd move by Belichick?  After Weis left he didn't replace him with anyone.  Instead he took the role of OC himself.  From this article it appears this guy McDaniels may have had a larger role in the offense than anyone realized.  Now could it be that Belichick thought McDaniels was the guy to replace Weis, but rather than throw the kid to the wolves with all the pressure of succeeding Weis he kept the title for himself.  That way if the kid faltered Belichick would take the heat.  Now after a season of "apprenticeship" he's giving the guy his due. 

Just a theory.   :D

1278618[/snapback]

Bellichick didn't take over the role of OC himself, when he didn't name anyone, he said it would a joint effort.

McDaniels basically took over the roll of OC during the year, and did call the plays. Maybe last year, Belichick didn't want to name a 28 yr old as the OC, and this past year was basically a tryout, and he passed.

edit: Which is basically what you said in your post, I think I only read selective parts. :D You are 100% correct IMHO.

Edited by charty