[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Payton tips his hand on the draft

rajncajn

May be obvious to most, but he just said on the Dan Patrick show that Leinart will be a Saint.

1278623[/snapback]

Good choice. With all the talent there I hope the Saints do well next year. It will be nice to see them playing in the Superdome again.

Is it just me, or do Leinart's lazy, floating passes make it seem like he'll have an average to below average career? :D Maybe I just saw the wrong games....

1278681[/snapback]

Who knows.

He seems to have a good enough arm, and you'd think that would be something that would be fairly easy for NFL scouts to measure. But you never know. Joe Montana didn't have a great arm and had one of the all-time great careers. Jeff George could throw a ball 50 yards on a rope and never did anything. I've come to the conclusion that the draft is nothing more than a crap shoot. Especially for QBs. The "sure thing" college stars flop in the NFL, while others come out of nowhere and have successful careers. I can't figure this stuff out anymore, so I'm not going to try.

I don't know about Leinart. He will have a good O-Line, solid RB, and Solid WR's.

But Eli should be a good example. He has a nice arm, my guess it is stronger than Leinart. But if you throw off your back leg, turning away from the play, as you are running for your life. Flutterballs will be pretty common.

It all starts up front.

Edited by mggoilers

Who knows.

He seems to have a good enough arm, and you'd think that would be something that would be fairly easy for NFL scouts to measure.  But you never know.  Joe Montana didn't have a great arm and had one of the all-time great careers.  Jeff George could throw a ball 50 yards on a rope and never did anything.  I've come to the conclusion that the draft is nothing more than a crap shoot.  Especially for QBs.  The "sure thing" college stars flop in the NFL, while others come out of nowhere and have successful careers.  I can't figure this stuff out anymore, so I'm not going to try.

1278707[/snapback]

The Saints will be running the West Coast offense so arm strength is not as much an issue.

IMO Lienart was just surrounded by a wealth of talent. Who needs to be a proven good QB when you have all the time in the world to throw, two running backs that can give you a break, and the wide recievers that can catch anything. Not to mention a defense that keeps giving him the ball back. All he had to do was wait for the man to get open and then lob it up. Crap, anyone could be a QB for USC with that talent.

Ok, so a lot of that was an exageration. But still. His talent as a QB is hyped.