[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any architects on board?

theeohiostate

Looking for advice on how to (what software) or anyone interested in some sub contract work.

I have been hand drawling job specific prints for my men for over 10 years and while it needs to be done, i'd like it to look more professional then my poor excuse for doing so, while i email them the print and it is only used once then discarded, i like to file them for future use in the event i need to reflect back.

View one Here and let me know your suggestions, i have about 120 of these that i'd like to be redone professionally..................interested anyone? They do not need to be to scale, just done nice and tighty NOT hand drawn.

Edited by theeohiostate

In terms of software: AutoCAD

My suggestion: go to your local community college and post a note on their bulletin board in hopes of finding a student who's studying drafting/architecture. They'll come cheap, and will be able to do the basic drafting that you need.

In terms of software:  AutoCAD

My suggestion:  go to your local community college and post a note on their bulletin board in hopes of finding a student who's studying drafting/architecture.  They'll come cheap, and will be able to do the basic drafting that you need.

1280494[/snapback]

Depends. Full AutoCAD will run you $3,500 or so. AutoCAD Lite is about $1,200, I think. If you've been getting by with scribbled drawings up till now and you're just looking at doing basics, you could go for a House / Floor Planner program or similar.

That said, getting some student to do it for peanuts is the best idea.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Depends.  Full AutoCAD will run you $3,500 or so.  AutoCAD Lite is about $1,200, I think.  If you've been getting by with scribbled drawings up till now and you're just looking at doing basics, you could go for a House / Floor Planner program or similar. 

1280534[/snapback]

If you guys looked at the drawing, obviously no such thing as AutoCAD is needed. The student suggestion is absolutely brilliant.

Also, if all of your drawings are that simple, it might be even faster (read cheaper) to have a kid draw these out with a straight edge. However with the computer rendering, you would then have them on disk and could consult them and print them more easily.

BTW. Nice to see in you drawing that the pot is kept 19 1/2" from the East wall :D:D

Look locally, but if you are interested in pursuing this my alma matter RISD, had an arch program and I could post that job offer there for you.

View one Here and let me know your suggestions, i have about 120 of these that i'd like to be redone professionally..................interested anyone? They do not need to be to scale, just done nice and tighty NOT hand drawn.

1280369[/snapback]

LINK fixed

Depends.  Full AutoCAD will run you $3,500 or so.  AutoCAD Lite is about $1,200, I think.  If you've been getting by with scribbled drawings up till now and you're just looking at doing basics, you could go for a House / Floor Planner program or similar. 

1280534[/snapback]

This may get long..............

Not sure if I'm the most exreienced in AutoCad here, but I started working w/ it in ~1986 ver. 2.2, I believe. I taught it for 13+ years and co-wrote 4-5 books. Though I'm mostly mechanical, I did hundreds of archy drawings.

To further Ursa's statement, if a student uses educational s/w for $$$, they can get sued(might not be the right legal word) for a lot of money. Though it is rare the client can also be sued for complicity(?). Autodesk Corp. is VERY vigilant in going after cheaters. As soon as you start a drawing, the serial # of the s/w is encrypted. If you finish it on legal s/w it's origin is still known. There is no way to overcome this. I used to spend a class period telling students the legalities, copyright laws, etc. for com'l drawings. Their rights were also included. Believe me, don't go the student route unless you see his LEGAL COM'L s/w license or he/she is using your s/w. For your use, assuming that is a typical dwg, AutoCad LT would suffice. $600-$800, full Com'l. ver. Main diff.....no 3D in Acad LT.

As a developer for AutoDesk, I used to get the newest betas, and full versions long before they hit the streets. Yet some of my more risk taking, computer guru studii had it a week before me! :D

If you bought the s/w and had a student work for you, NP! But I would avoid the student 'consultant'. Read above again for the reason.

If your sketch represents exactly what you want, it looks and is simple. You mentioned scale doesn't count. Frankly, cadd drafters don't scale but draw to real size. (I mean not to be condesending here) They scale ONLY for paper output. My point is, it is actually EASIER to draw something knowing all dimensions. Your dwg/sketch example lacked that, and truly it would slow down a good cadd drafter. My years of experience can prove that over and over. Sending out lines to show a footprint of a house's foundation (knowing True dims) is actually easier & faster than guessing at proportion. Yeah, sounds wierd, but true. I've done it both ways. Gimme a dwg w/ all dims and I'll finish faster than trying to proportion and guess. I might even beat out the sketcher trying to copy it. :D

If I had a constant flow of work that would payoff my $3500 investment in 1 month, and not impinge too much on my free time, Hell I'd buy the s/w. If you're interested in that let me know, but we have to talk about it first.

In two short words:

STAY LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!

If you want my home phone number to discuss this, how much to pay someone, realistic deadlines, and anythingelse, let me know. I don't charge for an intitial consultation. I'm being sincere.

rr26

To further Ursa's statement, if a student uses educational s/w for $$$, they can get sued(might not be the right legal word) for a lot of money.  Though it is rare the client can also be sued for complicity(?). Autodesk Corp. is VERY vigilant in going after cheaters.  As soon as you start a drawing, the serial # of the s/w is encrypted.  If you finish it on legal s/w it's origin is still known.  There is no way to overcome this. I used to spend a class period telling students the legalities, copyright laws, etc. for com'l drawings.  Their rights were also included.  Believe me, don't go the student route unless you see his LEGAL COM'L s/w license or he/she is using your s/w. 

Good call. Forgot that a student would likely have an Edn license only.

Thanks all, the student idea is appealing.

What should i expect to pay per page (approx. 100 pages total) to have my poor hand drawings converted to a nice professional looking print? They are very basic and not much info. on them to speak of.

Will the conversion result in a pdf file using your recommended software?

Thanks all, the student idea is appealing.

What should i expect to pay per page (approx. 100 pages total) to have my poor hand drawings converted to a nice professional looking print? They are very basic and not much info. on them to speak of.

Will the conversion result in a pdf file using your recommended software?

1280605[/snapback]

Please read my post! :D I truly know this request and know how to deal w/ it. :D I'm really trying to keep you out of jail! or debt!)

What else can I say! :shrug;

Please read my post!  :D I truly know this request and know how to deal w/ it.  :D I'm really trying to keep you out of jail! or debt!)

1280618[/snapback]

Though you are giving very good advice rocknrobn, remember that considering the simplicity of the drawings, students may not be necesarily using commercial software to fulfill this project.

Willing to bet that there is shareware out there that will fulfill his needs.

Please read my post!  :D I truly know this request and know how to deal w/ it.  :D I'm really trying to keep you out of jail! or debt!)

1280618[/snapback]

I did read it and you said to make sure they have the license, which i will :D Thanks.

Though you are giving very good advice rocknrobn, remember that considering the simplicity of the drawings, students may not be necesarily using commercial software to fulfill this project.

Willing to bet that there is shareware out there that will fulfill his needs.

1280656[/snapback]

Maybe, but I doubt it. Especially if he wants to archive it and bring it up later!

I gave my advice. Follow it or not! His choice! Dammit, it was the best advice anyone could give. And don't tell me to chill!

Ok, I'm done. maybe I'm in a bad mood! Call it anyway you want!

Maybe, but I doubt it.  Especially if he wants to archive it and bring it up later!

I gave my advice.  Follow it or not! His choice!  Dammit, it was the best advice anyone could give.  And don't tell me to chill!

Ok, I'm done.  maybe I'm in a bad mood!  Call it anyway you want!

1280684[/snapback]

Uhm, didn't tell you to chill, but now that you mention it.... :D

:D

Maybe, but I doubt it.  Especially if he wants to archive it and bring it up later!

I gave my advice.  Follow it or not! His choice!  Dammit, it was the best advice anyone could give.  And don't tell me to chill!

Ok, I'm done.  maybe I'm in a bad mood!  Call it anyway you want!

1280684[/snapback]

Went ahead and bought a copy of AutoCad............NOW, i'm really confused :D Checked out , and they gives classes for this a few miles down the road, looks like i may need to sign up :D

Went ahead and bought a copy of AutoCad............NOW, i'm really confused  :D  Checked out , and they gives classes for this a few miles down the road, looks like i may need to sign up  :D

1281633[/snapback]

AutoCAD is not the easiest program to just pick up and learn. I initially suggested it as a software choice only due to its popularity and quality of product it puts out.

Good luck!

Greg Brady was the best of the best ...the man was more than an architect , he was a genius ..i mean astro turf in the back yard made to resemble grass ...what a stroke of genius

1281688[/snapback]

:D Mike Brady, the dad, was the architect.

Greg Brady was the best of the best ...the man was more than an architect , he was a genius ..i mean astro turf in the back yard made to resemble grass ...what a stroke of genius

1281688[/snapback]

Or his father Mike.

And one bathroom for that whole family.