[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cliaz Random Facts 1-30-2006

cliaz

1. The longest word in the English language is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

2. Pinocchio was made of pine.

3. The hundred billionth Crayola crayon ever produced was Perriwinkle Blue.

4. More people in China speak English than in the United States.

5. The best beaches for surfing face west.

6. The shortest word in the English language to contain the letters A,B,C,D,E, and F is: ‘Feedback’

7. 45% of dollar bills you'll ever own have been in a stripper's g-string.

8. Hershey's Kisses are called that because the machine that makes them looks like it's kissing the conveyor belt.

9. Jack Bauer is so tough he got Hellen Keller to talk.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY:

GANDHI ASSASSINATED:

January 30, 1948

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, the political and spiritual leader of the Indian independence movement, is assassinated in New Delhi by a Hindu fanatic.

Edited by cliaz

1. The longest word in the English language is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

2. Pinocchio was made of pine.

3. The hundred billionth Crayola crayon ever produced was Perriwinkle Blue.

4. More people in China speak English than in the United States.

5. The best beaches for surfing face west.

6. The shortest word in the English language to contain the letters A,B,C,D,E, and F is: ‘Feedback’

7. 45% of dollar bills you'll ever own have been in a stripper's g-string.

8. Hershey's Kisses are called that because the machine that makes them looks like it's kissing the conveyor belt.

9. Jack Bauer is so tough he got Hellen Keller to talk.

1295872[/snapback]

I would have to say that at best, some of these are guesses (educated or otherwise). 2, 3, and 7 are guesses. 5 is an opinion.

I imagine that it is probably more fact than opinion, based on tides, currents, wave size, etc.  All I know is the Jersey Shore ain't got nothing on Cali.

1296095[/snapback]

+1, there is definitely a logical explanation to why the beaches facing west produce better waves. I don't know what it is, but I bet someone out there does.

Jan 30 1649

Oliver Cromwell beheads the British monarch King Charles I, at Whitehall.

Jan 30 1835

Andrew Jackson is the subject of the first recorded assassination attempt on a U.S. president. After a man fires shots at him, Jackson beat the shucks out of his would-be assassin.

Jan 30 1945

The largest maritime disaster in history leaves 7700 dead after a Soviet submarine torpedoes the Nazi ship Wilhelm Gustoff.

Jan 30 1948

Mohandas K. Gandhi assassinated by Hindu extremist Nathuram Godse.

Jan 30 1962

Two of the Flying Wallendas die when their human pyramid of seven people collapses in Detroit.

Jan 30 1968

North Vietnam launches the Tet Offensive, in which they suffer a defeat and 46,000 dead, but shocks the complacent American television viewer who had been led to believe the war was won.

Jan 30 1972

British troops kill 13 unarmed marchers in Londonderry, Northern Ireland. This incident becomes known as "Bloody Sunday" and marks the beginning of a new extended round of violence.

Jan 30 1973

G. Gordon Liddy found guilty of Watergate charges.

Jan 30 1976

George HW Bush becomes directory of the Central Intelligence Agency, a position which he holds until 1977. Perhaps he knows who killed Kennedy.

I imagine that it is probably more fact than opinion, based on tides, currents, wave size, etc.  All I know is the Jersey Shore ain't got nothing on Cali.

1296095[/snapback]

+1, there is definitely a logical explanation to why the beaches facing west produce better waves. I don't know what it is, but I bet someone out there does.

1296218[/snapback]

Probably has something to do with the spin of the Earth (coriolis effect?). :D

Searched a bit online and there is definitely no consensus on a direction the beach should face for the best surfing. Different in the US than in Australia, than in South Africa than in Costa Rica.

Opinion.