[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for the dog owners out there..

BiggieFries

My golden used to chew the legs of our chairs and our couch until we rubbed some tabasco on it.  It stopped her from doing that, and the bitter apple works well too.  I do not know if those are applicable to drywall, however.  Now if I could just get her to stop jumping up and eating raw meat off the counter!

1311064[/snapback]

Bitter Apple doesn't even slow my dog down. She actually has never chewed shoes, furniture, or anything else that wasn't her toy or food. She was always in the house with us and when we decided to start leaving her home alone all day, we put her in the garage....where she had never been with either of us....hole in the wall #1. We put Tabasco around it and she wouldn't go near the spot.

That was fine for a few days but she did start chewing on my workbench (exception to the statement above), which is no big deal because it is old, home-made and built like a brick. Instead of putting more tabasco on, we decided to give her free run of the house when we were gone instead. Now she was back in familiar surroundings where she knew what was expected of her and we didn't have any more problems until recently. I was consulting from home for a few months and she was used to having me home. When I started leaving during the week for my recent gig, she went after the wall in the house. Luckily she must have gotten bored quick because she didn't do much damage. My wife taped a piece of cardboard over the spot, put some tabasco on it, and Pinot (yes, my dog's name is Pinot) hasn't touched it or any other spots again.

My dog was notorious for eating stuff off the counter.  He didn't even get table scraps it was just the smell.  He pulled a vaccuum packed chicken out of the sink and ate the whole thing wrapper and all.  I called the vet and he said just keep an eye on him.  If he doesn't shiate, let me know and we will have a look.  So I watched him crap.  The next day the wrapper came out.  I took him a bit to get it out, but it was fully encased with poo.  It was funny at the time.

1311185[/snapback]

My big boy ate a chicken carcass w/ tinfoil around it. You could find his poop from the reflection for the next couple of days after. :D

She was always in the house with us and when we decided to start leaving her home alone all day, we put her in the garage....where she had never been with either of us....hole in the wall #1.

1311283[/snapback]

When we started leaving her out of her crate for the day (which we did too early on), I came home one day and there was about twenty feet of cable that she had pulled up from the basement. That was when she was about nine months. She went back in the crate for a while and is now fine to leave out all day without a problem. She does have a tendency to collect as many socks as possible. One day I came home and had left my sock drawer open. There were 11 pairs of socks in a pile in the living room.

I actually cought him in the act last night and I scared the hell out of him.  Hopefully he'll be too terrified to go back to the wall. 

1310888[/snapback]

like it or not, they are animals. best way to stop them from doing something is catch them in the act and then do what you need to do to convince them not to do it again. they do need to know who is king of the pack and they will not do things to upset the king.

the wife and kids, however, are another story.

My yellow lab scratched and chewed a bunch of dry wall. When we called a guy to come fix it, he came out and looked at it. He said that he could either patch it or replace the wall and he recommended replacing it becaue he was willing to bet there was something behind the wallboard that the dog was trying to get to. Sure enough, when he demoed the drywall we had a gazillion carpenter ants eating away at the studs. He said the dog probably heard them and was trying to get at them. Have you looked behind the drywall to make sure there aren't any ants or termites?

Now all he chews up are the kids toys. I have found a super ball and army when when cleaning up his Athena.

Well....the bitter apple can backfire......lol.  I've had two dogs that LOVED the taste of it. :D 

1310962[/snapback]

our Min Pin likes bitter apple too...she was nawling on the corner of some base board and i would spray it and she kept it up....i decided to put some on my finger and see what she would do...she licked that stuff off so fast...i was so pissed but she has stopped now

The fiance and I own a Golden Retriever.  He's awesome (most of the time)!  There's no way I would ever return him or get rid of him, but I need some advice or I'm going to start yanking what's left of my hair out!

How do you stop a dog from eating through the drywall?!  I'm getting married this weekend and we're having guests come over.  Luckily, my dad is an expert w/ drywall and can fix it with no problems, so I'm not too worried about the looks.  But I gotta get this dog from litterally eating us out of house and home!

He's about 9 months old.  I know goldens can be a little fiesty until they're about 2 years old.

Any and all advice will be helpful!  Will answer yours!  :D

And I already know to start the dog most likely to get me the most points!

thanks guys!

1310864[/snapback]

He is bored. Exercise the cr@p outta him.

And start watching the "dog whisperer" on Animal Planet. He is spot on in training techniques.