[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for home improvement gurus

bigmike4969

Thanks for the well wishes! My girlfriend and I are sooooo looking forward to it.  Not neccesarily the payment part  :D but finally getting the privacy, no one living below us playing loud music, etc.

1312483[/snapback]

As you should. Ain't nuthin' like it! Again....GOOD LUCK!!!! :D

Thanks for the well wishes! My girlfriend and I are sooooo looking forward to it.  Not neccesarily the payment part  :D but finally getting the privacy, no one living below us playing loud music, etc.

1312483[/snapback]

I have rehabbed every house I have owned. If you are a handyman, the easiest thing to do in this situation is to remove the unit, and either put in a new window or door. The labor is the same both ways, as there is no drywall/siding patching needed. Of greater concern is the decision to leave the 220 outlet in the room currently occupied by the A/C unit. if you have children, use that as leverage to have an allowance made for removing that.

Gotcha!  I guess my town took care of that in a way for the buyer.  They have a law that requires an inspection (free) by the town to make sure the sellers house is at least up to minimal code (No BX, No plastic pipes except for drains, No Romex, GFI's where required, railings w/ more than 2 steps, etc.).

1312313[/snapback]

Interesting info rr. What do they do if the house is 100 years old and the wiring is old? Do they make the seller rewire the whole house? What are the limits to how much $ the seller has to put in it?

I have rehabbed every house I have owned. If you are a handyman, the easiest thing to do in this situation is to remove the unit, and either put in a new window or door.  The labor is the same both ways, as there is no drywall/siding patching needed. Of greater concern is the decision to leave the 220 outlet in the room currently occupied by the A/C unit. if you have children, use that as leverage to have an allowance made for removing that.

1315119[/snapback]

I didn't think of that... that's seems like a good idea

Interesting info rr. What do they do if the house is 100 years old and the wiring is old? Do they make the seller rewire the whole house? What are the limits to how much $ the seller has to put in it?

1315123[/snapback]

Good points. Do they have a clause that the buyer can buy "as is"?

I bought my money pit with all old ceramic wiring, galvanized plumbing, etc... Real learning experience.

1315123[/snapback]

That was the the main reason for the law. There are alot of 100 year and older in that town. Many old houses had 40 amp service, 2 prong service. Some had knob & tube, surface wiring w/ the old ceramic switches! :D

There is no cap to the seller's cost! When I sold mine, the inspector said "This house is in great shape!". It cost me over $2000 to bring it up to code. :D FWIW, if you don't bring the acceptance letter to closing. NO CLOSING!!

I have rehabbed every house I have owned. If you are a handyman, the easiest thing to do in this situation is to remove the unit, and either put in a new window or door.  The labor is the same both ways, as there is no drywall/siding patching needed. Of greater concern is the decision to leave the 220 outlet in the room currently occupied by the A/C unit. if you have children, use that as leverage to have an allowance made for removing that.

1315119[/snapback]

Good call. Probably a window is the best suggestion. Or if you do it yourself you can buy a big picture or a big entertainment center to put in front of it. :D