[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ahman absent at mini camp?

theeohiostate

I read earlier today that Gado is having a lot of trouble getting the playbook down.  I still stand by him being the second coming of Nick Goings... I like him, just as a back up.

1480793[/snapback]

I read he was having problems with the zone blocking scheme, not the playbook. He'll understand the 1 cut soon enough.

Where did you read he was having trouble with the playbook. The system is similar to Sherman' as far as i know.

Ahman did work out privately yesterday. Read training camp report posted yesterday. Christl's report.

"Running back Ahman Green lined up in the backfield and took some handoffs in a teaching session early in practice Sunday morning. Green and the others jogged through the drill, but Green did some cutting at half-speed. Coach Mike McCarthy said the timetable for Green's return remained sometime during training camp."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gado's own take of his progress in the new zone blocking scheme.

Well it's been a long time since I've written anything on this blog. It's not really for lack of desire but more a lack of knowing how my own website works. I had to call my high school coach to figure out how this website forum operates.

I just purchased one of the Apple MacBook Pro's about two weeks ago and I'm still figuring out how to use it. See a picture of it - here . I love it though and, it is true what they say - "Once you go Mac, you never go back."

Today was the first day of the second mini-camp. It went well, but i felt like it wasn't as good as the first day of the first mini-camp. It wasn't as intense as the first. I would say it was because we made a lot of errors this minicamp (beginning with me), but I think we made just as many errors last minicamp but our intensity made up for it.

I haven't been doing as well as I would have liked. I thought I would get this system much easier than I am now since I did run a very similiar offense in college, but it's not translating as well as I would've like. I should have expected it to be a little different since I'm running it against the cream of the crop, but I still would have expected a little more out of myself.

I can understand the frustrations from the new coaching staff and even Coach Bennett. I think Coach Bennett's frustrations are more that he's seen me play better and expects me to play at that level. He pulled me aside today and was encouraging me to keep pushing.

I don't think it's so much that I'm not improving but I believe that I haven't crossed that learning curve yet. I am having some trouble picking up the reads but I think it's only a matter of time before I do get the hang of it, and hopefully that will translate into better performance. We'll have to wait and see tomorrow.

Samkon

Well today wasn't as great a day as I would have hoped for. Once again it wasn't so much about mistakes but missed reads. I came in early today and watched film of yesterday's practice before anyone came in, hoping to get a better grasp of how these plays are to be run. I thought I had it but we had another day of installation so the plays that I spent looking over we didn't even run today. Oh well, you live and you learn.

The first practice of the day seemed very similiar to yesterday's. A lot of mistakes and moderate intensity, but thankfully the second practice picked up considerably. We seemed to be hitting on more cylinders than before. Aaron Rodgers especially looked good to me. It's been amazing to see him develop. I don't think people really understand how good he can be.

Tomorrow is the last day of minicamp and I think many of us are already for it to be done with. We were sitting around the lunch table today asking ourselves how in the world we make it through six weeks of training camp but have a hard time making it through a three day minicamp, with no contact.

Ahman came today, and though he didn't practice, it was still good to see him there. William Henderson showed up as well and it's always good to have him up front. It made me feel a little better about my misreads because even a vet like Henderson is still working out the kinks of this new offense.

I'm going home (to South Carolina) tomorrow and can't wait. I'm sure my trainer back home has conjured up some interesting stuff for us to do already. He has a knack for coming up with the craziest, intense workouts. I'll have to tell hiim to give me a couple of days off, because though we haven't had any contact, my body is hurting.

Samkon

samkongado.com

I like to hear he's showing up early to get a better handle on his reads.

I think this tid bit is especially worth noting;

"Aaron Rodgers especially looked good to me. It's been amazing to see him develop. I don't think people really understand how good he can be."

I have to agree with you bigscore.  I've read the same stuff about late august, but I still believe that Ahman is too great of a back to not bounce back.  This reminds me of Stephen Davis' situation from a few years ago.  He bottomed out after having several strong years only to bounce back towards the end of it and finish his career off strongly.

Last year Green had to contend with a diminished offensive line, an injured star receiver, which further weakened the offense on the whole, and off-field problems that were no doubt a distraction.  In short, Green bottomed-out.  That doesn't mean he's all done.  I expect him to bounce back refocused and have a strong finish to his career.

It seems like a long-shot for him to make a strong return this year however.

1479879[/snapback]

Davis was a power back, Green was a finess back... I think that throws out the comparison with Davis and Green... Green lost a lot of his quickness and speed. Davis never had either.

Davis was a power back, Green was a finess back... I think that throws out the comparison with Davis and Green... Green lost a lot of his quickness and speed.  Davis never had either.

1482086[/snapback]

His comparison wasn't about the types of backs they are, but that Davis was able to come back and have a decent to good year, after a bad one from injury.

Davis was a power back, Green was a finess back... I think that throws out the comparison with Davis and Green... Green lost a lot of his quickness and speed.  Davis never had either.

1482086[/snapback]

Well....I wouldn't really call his style "finesse." He certainly had speed and quickness, but he used plenty of power as well. He IS one of the bigger RBs in the league.

Be that as it may, however, Crazysight's point seems to be that he doesn't expect Green to bounce back THIS year, but maybe next year (?). I just disagree. I think he's too old to take a year off because of a serious injury and still come back and be productive again.

Oh, and BS1 -- excellent medical info on quad tears. :D

• 3 months later...

I wasn't really saying that he wouldn't bounce back this year Swiss...I simply wasn't expecting him to be too effective after only healing for a relatively short period of time and playing behind an O-line that looks like it can still use some work. Even though I was one of the few who was giving him a chance here, it looks as though even I may have underestimated him.

Anything else to add there Pirates and Swiss?

Edited by Crazysight

Alright crazysight, we get it, you were right. If you love Ahman so much why don't you marrrrrry him? :D

:D

I drafted Ahman in the 6th round as a RB3 and I'm happy with his firsrt game. Key words: first game. So don't get too excited, let's see how he holds up over the next few weeks.

Edited by msaint