[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lookin' like closing is July 13th

TimC

Current Timetable:

Today (6/20/06): Shower and tub marble installed

6/21/06: Cabinets

6/27/06: Laminate and vinyl installed. Appliances delivered.

7/10/06: Carpet installed.

Evidently on the week of July 4th, all sub-contractors in America take off. I don't know.

A brief rundown of the past few weeks...

Nothing happened for 3 weeks and I started to wonder what's up. The house across the street started after mine is nearly done. My only delay was an extra week on the Kraftmaid cabinets because I didn't want to hang the cardboard boxes he provides with his pitiful allowance.

My neighbors bought their cabinets from Lowe's. Who cares, you say. Well, I ordered mine there as well (over $32,000). The builder allowed $10,500 so I asked for his Lowe's commercial account number to charge the $10k on it. He didn't have enough credit line to do that so I footed the entire bill. Ouch. Luckily I made about $20k more on my house sale than expected. I said he'd pay it back to me at closing. He's been griping about not using his allowance a few times...I guess he can't pay Lowe's the minimum for the next 20 years. His fault for having a cabinet lady that didn't have the product the S.O. wanted (soft-close drawers, roll-out shelves, utensil dividers, roll-out trash cans, etc, etc, etc).

Red flag #2: The neighbors had their driveway paved for just over $3,000. He called me with a "deal" since they needed to pave the street (it's a new street). Said they'd do mine for $6,000. I declined, of course. I guess the builder keeps $3k for himself???

Red flag #3: I was supposed to have brick steps in the front. He suddenly switched to wood steps. I told him no f'n way. He said lemme check your contract. I said don't bother because you told me brick steps so I didn't put it there. $200 per step and 6 steps later and I'm out another $1,200.

So, I contacted my agent and got everything in writing I expected, including a refund of the $10,500 of his allowance at closing. I think he knew I was tired of the bullshucks now and has started rolling and communicating.

The big item for the S.O. and I are the pitiful molding currently around the 3 arched windows aren't decorative as in the picture I supplied and his blueprints. He's gonna make it happen. I think he was going cheap here and hoping I didn't say anything.

I'm pretty sure he's waiting for the house across from me to close to free up funds to finish mine. It may not be illegal, but it's damn unethical. I could write a book.

Some new pics

Very beautiful Timmay, don't you just love dealing with contractors. We had simliar problems with Ryan homes when we had our house built. I feel your pain brother, but just look at how beauitful it will be when completed.

very nice....we are looking at new construction as well....notice everything new has 3car garages now.

The house I've lived in for the last 3 years has a 3 car garage, and I honeslty don't know how we ever made do with a two car garage. We put all the kids bikes and outdoor toys in the 3rd garage, so that we don't have to worry about running over them. All of my tools and work bench are also in that garage.

The house I've lived in for the last 3 years has a 3 car garage, and I honeslty don't know how we ever made do with a two car garage. We put all the kids bikes and outdoor toys in the 3rd garage, so that we don't have to worry about running over them. All of my tools and work bench are also in that garage.

One non-negotiable requirement for my next house will be a 3 car garage.

Hey Tim, what kind of paving did you get, asphalt or concrete?

Just gravel for now. I hope to afford concrete like I had at the old house, but doubt it. Probably just go with asphalt.

So when is the Huddle "stock the bar" party?

Anytime :D. Just pay yer respects to the historical marker where Lee retreated from the dirty Yanks down the road. :D

Oh, and B.Y.O.S. (bring yer own sheep). :sheep:

Just gravel for now. I hope to afford concrete like I had at the old house, but doubt it. Probably just go with asphalt.

Concrete is almost as cheap as asphalt, and may actually be cheaper on small jobs due the equipment required to do asphalt. Even if you have to spend 20% more, I'd still go with concrete as it will last 2 to 3 times longer. I knowon most of the jobs I'm bidding, that the price is very close on these two materials right now, and have bid a couple where concrete was actually cheaper.

Concrete is almost as cheap as asphalt, and may actually be cheaper on small jobs due the equipment required to do asphalt. Even if you have to spend 20% more, I'd still go with concrete as it will last 2 to 3 times longer. I knowon most of the jobs I'm bidding, that the price is very close on these two materials right now, and have bid a couple where concrete was actually cheaper.

I hope so...that'd be great as concrete is way nicer than asphalt IMO. The people across the street priced out a stamped concrete driveway to match their patio (around 100' or so) and came back with $17k. :D

Asphalt was $3k. I'm not Mr. Fancy Pants (like Hugh One's backyard) and will take plain concrete. :D

I hope so...that'd be great as concrete is way nicer than asphalt IMO. The people across the street priced out a stamped concrete driveway to match their patio (around 100' or so) and came back with $17k. :D

Asphalt was $3k. I'm not Mr. Fancy Pants (like Hugh One's backyard) and will take plain concrete. :D

How big is your driveway going to be in square feet?

Ummm, probably around 100 feet long. What's it normally width-wise before getting to the garage and widening?

It really just depends on how wide you want it. I've seen some as narrow as 15', but 20-25' usually works best. So you are looking in the neighborhood of 2500sf. You acan probably get that done for $10,000 or so. The thing with the asphalt is that even if it is done right, it will not last half as long as concrete. More than likely if you find someone to come out and do asphalt at your house, they will not do it right. In order to get the maximum life out of ut, they need to come out and dig up the top soil under where the pavement is, put about 6-8" of select fill and another 6-8" of crushed stone prior to laying the asphalt. If they don't do this, your drive way will look like crap in 2-3 years.

looks awesome but where are the out houses going to be?

I'm so far out in the sticks, we have a junkyard/deli a few miles away. Seriously. I wanna get a pic but am afraid my Izod shirt/khaki pants Hankk recommended will stand out too much there and I'll be labeled a tourist. :D

The big item for the S.O. and I are the pitiful molding currently around the 3 arched windows aren't decorative as in the picture I supplied and his blueprints. He's gonna make it happen. I think he was going cheap here and hoping I didn't say anything.

Some new pics

i'm not 100% for sure on this, but if you look closely at the columns he used, it seems like he may have tried to go cheap there as well. what can i say, i have an eye for detail. :D

i'm not 100% for sure on this, but if you look closely at the columns he used, it seems like he may have tried to go cheap there as well. what can i say, i have an eye for detail. :D

Holy shiiat Azz...getting married has made you very perceptive. I didn't even notice the piece o' crap 2x4's holding up mah porch or the fact that several decorative columns have already warped and fallen to the ground. Thanks, man(?)!!

:D

:D

Just a style difference. TimC chose doric over corinthian.

See I thought that was southern decor....

Go figure

Edited by cliaz

Yesterday was appliance delivery day from Sears. They subcontract this out. Two large black delivery guys that are identical to the Shrimp guy in Forrest Gump show up. They are irritated because they got lost. They are irritated because it rained and rained and they just seeded my lawn so it's muddy. They are irritated because my steps were delayed because of the rain. Soooo, I have two very large irritated really dumb black men standing in front of me ready to lift large expensive appliances for me and I think WWSD (What Would Spain Do)?

I nicely ask them to put the pieces in the living room beside the kitchen. They bring in an extra range. I tell them I only ordered one. They ask if I paid for two. I say no I would've noticed an extra $1,700 charge. I ask them to take it back because I don't need/want two stoves. They say they must deliver what is on the packing list. They tell me to write on the packing list there should only be one range and maybe Sears will pick it up.

So now I have an extra one of these....maybe. Top 'O Da Line Kenmore Elite Stainless Steel Convection Range.