[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jaguars LB Competition

Per KFFL

Jaguars | Thomas ahead in outside linebacker competition

Wed, 28 Jun 2006 05:41:58 -0700

Vito Stellino, of the Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars LB Pat Thomas is currently the leader to win the open spot at outside linebacker. "I think Pat Thomas is probably ahead right now, but it's too early to call," Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio said. "We don't have to make that call [now], but he's returning in our system and he's extremely quick. He's a striker. I would say going into the clubhouse at the turn, he's got an early lead, but there's still a lot of football left." He will compete with Jacksonville Jaguars LB Nick Greisen and LB Clint Ingram in training camp.

The problem is that there are conflicting reports as to which OLB spot Del Rio is talking about. I've heard SLB, WLB, and the generic "OLB," as in the blurb above.

Yeah this situation has been befuddling. But a glance at both Localsports and Ourlads indicates that this is the SLB that's up for grabs. Daryl Smith appears to have the WLB spot.

NFL.com's depth chart is all f'ed up. :D

i dont have the time to dig right now but I believe that I remember reading that the jags play less of a true WLB/SLB as they do ROLB and LOLB...that or I am confusing it with something I read about another team :D

i dont have the time to dig right now but I believe that I remember reading that the jags play less of a true WLB/SLB as they do ROLB and LOLB...that or I am confusing it with something I read about another team :D

I think you're right and perhaps it's just how Ourlads/Localsports set up their depth charts where the confusion is.

That is the case Keg. As these players play a side of the field, and not necessairly the strong side or weak side depending on where the ball is spotted or which hash.

Just after reading that blurb - I traded Greisen along with Fincher (that one hurt - as just after I did the trade it showed up he has the lead at MLB :D ) for Brodney Pool. If the OLB's are just right and left though wouldn't at least fantasywise the MLB have the better stats?

Just after reading that blurb - I traded Greisen along with Fincher (that one hurt - as just after I did the trade it showed up he has the lead at MLB :D ) for Brodney Pool. If the OLB's are just right and left though wouldn't at least fantasywise the MLB have the better stats?

umm yeah and fwiw Mike Peterson is a top 3 LB this yr IMO

umm yeah and fwiw Mike Peterson is a top 3 LB this yr IMO

Umm yeah is right. Peterson does get all the stats. But is that because he is super talented or is that the result of the defensive scheme that the Jags use?

Umm yeah is right. Peterson does get all the stats. But is that because he is super talented or is that the result of the defensive scheme that the Jags use?

A little of both...but the scheme does favor the MLB for sure...Peterson is getting up in age and more then likely as long as he stays with the team Daryl Smith will be the guy we get to compare Petersons stats to.