[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Strategies from the 10th slot in a 10 team league

Before anyone jumps on me with the obvious -- "draft strategies have to be flexible" (especially drafting in the last slot) We all like to "visualze" the perfect strategy and how it could playout on draft day (what else is there to do all day at work, right?)...so...I've been trying to come up w/ my preferred strategy...

The most appealing strategy seems to me to be "start runs" not "follow runs" from these later slots but its hard to do...

You almost have to take the best available RB at 1:10 (Brown, Caddy or Johnson based on ADP) and a top flight receiver at 2:01 (to start a run)...hope that TE (gates) falls to 3.10 (where you could start that mini-run)...but he probably won't fall that far...so grab another solid reciever at 3.10 and the best available 2nd/3rd tier RB at the 4.01 (or you are screwed, right?)...now as you come back around at the 5.10 and the 6.01 you could try to start the 2nd run on QBs (Eli, Donovan, Bulger)...but this run seems to be happenning early in the 5th...so you start to fall behind the runs, rather than starting them...based on the Mocks I've been playing w/ anyway...

So I guess if a draft "fell our way" the "start run" strategy from the 10 spot would be

RB,WR*,TE*,RB,QB*,WR

(where the * indicates "starting" a 1st or 2nd run on the position)

Any other thoughts from the 10x10s out there? :D

Before anyone jumps on me with the obvious -- "draft strategies have to be flexible" (especially drafting in the last slot) We all like to "visualze" the perfect strategy and how it could playout on draft day (what else is there to do all day at work, right?)...so...I've been trying to come up w/ my preferred strategy...

The most appealing strategy seems to me to be "start runs" not "follow runs" from these later slots but its hard to do...

You almost have to take the best available RB at 1:10 (Brown, Caddy or Johnson based on ADP) and a top flight receiver at 2:01 (to start a run)...hope that TE (gates) falls to 3.10 (where you could start that mini-run)...but he probably won't fall that far...so grab another solid reciever at 3.10 and the best available 2nd/3rd tier RB at the 4.01 (or you are screwed, right?)...now as you come back around at the 5.10 and the 6.01 you could try to start the 2nd run on QBs (Eli, Donovan, Bulger)...but this run seems to be happenning early in the 5th...so you start to fall behind the runs, rather than starting them...based on the Mocks I've been playing w/ anyway...

So I guess if a draft "fell our way" the "start run" strategy from the 10 spot would be

RB,WR*,TE*,RB,QB*,WR

(where the * indicates "starting" a 1st or 2nd run on the position)

Any other thoughts from the 10x10s out there? :D

ok well i would do this a little different

rd 1 - RB

rd 2 - RB

rd 3 - WR

rd 4 - WR

rd 5 - QB

rd 6 - TE

thats how i would do the 1st 6 rounds.after that go best available player

I agree somewht with jetsman, except for the after that go with best available... you have to go best available throughout the draft, not after some predetermined point in the draft. Of course, best available DOES take into consideration starting lineup requirements etc.

That said, I see no WR worth the 11th overall pick, so, this is where I agree with jetsman... I likely go RB/RB at the 10/11 spot. 3rd round I go Gates if he is there (not likely), if not I go WR (unless starting 3 RBs is an option, then I consider who is there at RB as well)

Where I disagree with jetsfan is the planned 5th/6th picks of QB/TE... at this point in the draft at those positions is generally a very flat tier of a lot of players, so, unless one guy that you have clearly ranked ahead of the others has slipped to you, I would much rather have improved depth at RB and WR with these picks while I can get a very similarly ranked/projected TE and QB in the next couple of rounds. This is where it is very important to monitor how many teams have already drafted there QB and TE so you can better gauge how many are likely to go before your next couple picks and determine if you are comfortable with the players you would get if all of the teams did pick up QBs and TEs that still needed them.

If Brown, Caddy and Johnson are all there it has to start RB, RB. I have my top 11 players as RBs so that's how I would go in a 10 team. The 3rd and 4th have to flexible with best player. Maybe Shockey maybe Brady ( but I don't like getting QBs that early) at worst 1 WR and another RB if one is falling.

Agree with BC go RB/RB in a 10 team....hell, same in a 12 teamer!! You have to realize you will not have one of the big three, but with the right tandum to fill your starting lineup you keep yourself in the game. If you wait at RB you will be looking for that injury so you can scoop up a back to fill your void at that position. Take the best 2 on the board!!

ok well i would do this a little different

rd 1 - RB

rd 2 - RB

rd 3 - WR

rd 4 - WR

rd 5 - QB

rd 6 - TE

thats how i would do the 1st 6 rounds.after that go best available player

OK...just for conversation sake:

I ran three strategies in mock drafts (ADP based mock program)...and yes...I ran with the strategies straight... for better or for worse to see how they ended up...

w/ RB RB WR WR QB TE

1:10: Rudi Johnson

2.01: Caddy

3.10: Hines Ward

4.01: DJax

5.10: Hasselbeck

6.01: Tony Gonzalez

I do like Rudi and Caddy...not thrilled w/ my two starting wide outs (especially Hines), was surprised to see Tony G at the 6.01...but he has not been that productive of late...and stock may be falling...

The RB WR RB TE WR QB strategy played out...

1:10: Rudi

2.01: Chad Johnson

3.10: R.Droughns

4.01: Shockey

5.10: Housh

6.01: McNabb (could have been Eli, but I can't do that, should I???)

Tough call here...slight dowgrade on RBs??, wash on WR?? Upgrade at tight end, and a drop off at QB???

Then just for S&G I ran a mock based only on best value (VBD method): (ended up QB RB RB RB RB TE!)

1:10: P.Manning

2.01: R.Johnson

3.10: R.Droughns (could have been Hines here for 1-2-3, but computer said no...)

4.01: T.Bell

5.10: D.Foster

6.01: T.Gonzalez

Well...guess the computer loves the running backs...maybe Gonzo is GOOD value in the 6th...

Not sure this teaches anything...but thought it would be fun... :D