[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish advice requested

theeohiostate

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stated them as the League view it

The ruling is done and final, i need no advice, just what others would have done in my situation, and it appears with the exception of you, most feel my actions were more then fair

DUDE! The way I read most of this stuff is that YOU HOSED THIS THING PRETTY BADLY!

Rookie! :D

Edited by McBoog

I agree what's been said before - you overstepped your bounds a bit in #3. Sounds like you were trying to do what was best and fair, when actually it was probably most fair to let the autopicks stand.

I agree 100%, but in the moment, i felt it would not affect the integrity of the draft to have him re-select from available players, i realize i made this decison alone, but i am an honest person and wouldn't feel right had i not.

I informed the league of my actions and have not had any negative feedback.

I am just in aw, of the owner i was bending over backwards to assist is the one causing the problems. :D

just shut up. ive been playing FF for longer than 95% of this board. ask ohiostate, since hes known me that long. 13th year.

Lighten up Francis! :D

McBoog was talking to TheOhioState, not you. He gave the same advice in another thread. His point was that if you have not been a commish before it is easier to make decisions if you don't have a financial interest in the league (at least for the first year.) In most leagues it is very difficult to do but it is good advice. :D

I agree 100%, but in the moment, i felt it would not affect the integrity of the draft to have him re-select from available players, i realize i made this decison alone, but i am an honest person and wouldn't feel right had i not.

I am just in aw, of the owner i was bending over backwards to assist is the one causing the problems. :D

Yes, things seems to have degraded a bit...

LIVE WITH YOUR MISTAKES. Like I said, HE made the mistake, let him live with it, laugh at him and call him a DIPSH!T!

The more you involve yourself in this stuff as a commish, the WORSE you make it... rookie :D

His point was that if you have not been a commish before it is easier to make decisions if you don't have a financial interest in the league (at least for the first year.)

that's a crock too. :D you can't name on 2 fingers the ammount of people here that commish a league that they don't play in. why in god's name would you do all the legwork to commish a league & not be a active owner ? :D

rookie :D

:D

I only commish 4 leagues and play in 5 others :D

Like i said, the only person in my league that has a problem with how this went down is the one i was trying to assist in making his selections more of his intentions. Bottem line, my league is fine with all accounts, this was posted so he could see, that my intentions to help resolve this were over and above what most here has suggested, which is STICK HIM WITH HIS PICKS.

I did not post this because i was getting slack from league members at all.

Edited by theeohiostate

DUDE! The way I read most of this stuff is that YOU HOSED THIS THING PRETTY BADLY!

Rookie! :D

The more you involve yourself in this stuff as a commish, the WORSE you make it... rookie :D

glass houses Mcboog...... you were the newbie TOOL of the year not too long ago.

Edited by Down Goes Frazia

Time to pad the post. We have been in this league for over 10 years. Most of the original owners are still with us and we intend to keep it that way. Everyone make up and be prepared to get your Arses stomped by the PANTHERS.

By the way; This is the 1st year for TheeOhioState being commish in this league. Cincyslammers has been commish from day 1, but we three are bros and kind of see eye to eye on a lot.

Edited by Popeye

People are bustin' on Ohio for his actions in step 3.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with suspending the draft to ensure that a particular owner's draft picks were as he intended. That is assuming that any picks that happened AFTER the erroneous picks are allowed to stand AND the owners that pick afterward should have the option of releasing their pick to acquire the player released by the original owner getting the do-over.

I like all my leagues to be of a friendly nature and working with the owners is part of keeping the league fun.

However, you have to be careful going down this path because if you DON'T stop the draft at a later time when a different owner makes the same error then that owner will cry foul ... and he will have a legitimate gripe.

So all-in-all it is best to prepare your owners as best you can prior to the draft and then step back. I can see myself making the same decision that you did though.

Back to situation 1 ... your correct response was to insert a filler player into that slot and decaring to the league that owner 1 drafted Mike Bell and when you find Bell the drafted player will be replaced by Mike Bell.

glass houses Mcboog...... you were the newbie TOOL of the year not too long ago.

What are you talking about? If it was "THAT" thing you refer to where a GM that entered a League, that had existed for 11 years without ever experiencing any of those types of problems and in his first year caused...

That is why we no longer play for MONEY as of this year. More fun, less hard feelings!

Also, I wasn't the one to bring it to the boards, you don't make these things public to STARNGERS! Really DGF, pretty classless of you to bring up a non-related issue that NEVER occured on these boards... if you get my drift!

I'm sure you'd love that ...........ONLY if we had it to meet your schdule.

There are 11 other owners, Fireman, teachers etc. that aren't able to meet your needs, sorry.

i do find time in 2 leagues to do this, and even get them all to my house. not impossible.

#1 - mike bell should have been awarded to the first guy who tried to draft him, as long as the only unravelling of the draft required to make that happen was to undo the two picks involved.

#2 - i can't see how someone would have reason to complain here. though if one of the owners wanted to be a dick and sit on his pick until he was "officially" on the clock, it would probably be within his rights to do so.

#3 - what you did here was fine, IMO, and actually very considerate, the best you could do for the moran at that point without screwing other owners. if he doesn't like it, he can have BUF's D back. :D

People are bustin' on Ohio for his actions in step 3.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with suspending the draft to ensure that a particular owner's draft picks were as he intended. That is assuming that any picks that happened AFTER the erroneous picks are allowed to stand AND the owners that pick afterward should have the option of releasing their pick to acquire the player released by the original owner getting the do-over.

I like all my leagues to be of a friendly nature and working with the owners is part of keeping the league fun.

However, you have to be careful going down this path because if you DON'T stop the draft at a later time when a different owner makes the same error then that owner will cry foul ... and he will have a legitimate gripe.

So all-in-all it is best to prepare your owners as best you can prior to the draft and then step back. I can see myself making the same decision that you did though.

Back to situation 1 ... your correct response was to insert a filler player into that slot and decaring to the league that owner 1 drafted Mike Bell and when you find Bell the drafted player will be replaced by Mike Bell.

Tempering the rules with a bit of common sense from the commish can be a good idea, the slippery slope becomes the real problem here, as you said.

#1 - mike bell should have been awarded to the first guy who tried to draft him, as long as the only unravelling of the draft required to make that happen was to undo the two picks involved.

#3 - what you did here was fine, IMO, and actually very considerate, the best you could do for the moran at that point without screwing other owners. if he doesn't like it, he can have BUF's D back. :D

maybe I am to "by-the-book", but for the same reason many here think you should not have interjected in Scenario #3 (the coach screwed up, and you can't let "the right thing to do" intervene with your Commish duty to follow the rules), I still think, even though it might be unfair, to award Mike Bell to the coach who drafted him. It sounds harsh, and Coach #2 may have acted "sneakily" to get him, but you are opening a can of worms if you reverse his pick and award him to Coach #1.

I understand the circumstances you laid out, but what you don't know (or didn't include) is if whether anyone prior to Coach #1 wanted Mike Bell, too. What if the coach picking in 4.12 calls you tonight and says "Hey, I also wanted Bell, but couldn't find him on the list, so I went with someone else. Just because I didn't verbalaize this to you, I don't get the benefit of the doubt?"...essentially, it is the same situation, with the caveat that Coach #1 took it a step further to ask your help in finding him.

But that leads to yet another issue...from what you described, it was human error on Coach #1's part that he didn't find Bell...he was there all along, just listed under "Flex". If I really wanted him, I would search everywhere to try to find him...Coach #2 obviously too the time to find him (at position #999, I recall), and shouldn't be penalized for being the coach that used all the available tools to find and select his pick. If other coaches tried and failed earlier (which I would assume some did, since he has been so sought after), and this guy went the extra yard to search everywhere...well, kudos to him.

I was the 2nd owner that actually drafted Bell. I have no problem with Ohio taking him back. I just felt that it is everyone else responsibility to know how to draft. If I can find a player, anyone should be able to. ......For those of you who cannot find a player in the CBS draft room, at the top of the players list there is a search bar that you click and enter a players name. No matter if they are in the list or not there name will appear and it will give you the option to pick that player. ...............+1 for me...so I thought

Popeye, your point is perfectly valid, and Ohiostate would not have been wrong to leave him with you either. I think, that once he took it upon himself to look for the first guy, that he was in trouble either way unless he found the name. Every draft is different. In our league (we use CBS too) we have everyone come to my house and draft. Its only ten teams, but several owners travel from long distance. If someone is drafted who is not on the list, we simply write him in. Last year the last player taken in our draft was Fast Willie Parker. Several people said WHO?

Anyway, sometimes there is no right answer. Only a less wrong one. You did nothing wrong and deserved Mike Bell. But not at the first guys expense. If the shoes were turned my guess is that you would see it that way too. Dont be mad at the commish, consider it an area you need to clarify in your rules for next year. Then get back to your draft and be happy. Of course if you win the league don't forget to remind everyone the obstacles that you had to overcome. If you lose....well excuses are so unbecoming.

Good luck to you and your team Popeye.

Hardrocker

maybe I am to "by-the-book", but for the same reason many here think you should not have interjected in Scenario #3 (the coach screwed up, and you can't let "the right thing to do" intervene with your Commish duty to follow the rules), I still think, even though it might be unfair, to award Mike Bell to the coach who drafted him. It sounds harsh, and Coach #2 may have acted "sneakily" to get him, but you are opening a can of worms if you reverse his pick and award him to Coach #1.

I understand the circumstances you laid out, but what you don't know (or didn't include) is if whether anyone prior to Coach #1 wanted Mike Bell, too. What if the coach picking in 4.12 calls you tonight and says "Hey, I also wanted Bell, but couldn't find him on the list, so I went with someone else. Just because I didn't verbalaize this to you, I don't get the benefit of the doubt?"...essentially, it is the same situation, with the caveat that Coach #1 took it a step further to ask your help in finding him.

But that leads to yet another issue...from what you described, it was human error on Coach #1's part that he didn't find Bell...he was there all along, just listed under "Flex". If I really wanted him, I would search everywhere to try to find him...Coach #2 obviously too the time to find him (at position #999, I recall), and shouldn't be penalized for being the coach that used all the available tools to find and select his pick. If other coaches tried and failed earlier (which I would assume some did, since he has been so sought after), and this guy went the extra yard to search everywhere...well, kudos to him.

To clarify Bell was not given to either party, as others including myself had looked for him earlier but didn't locate him to draft. I decided to make him available for waivers after week 1, if he's a proven stud, then i'm sure some may throw their 1st game to get him :D

To act or let stand...one of the most crucial and difficult decisions for a Commish. If you do nothing, you will be considered wrong. If you do something you will be considered wrong. What you must never do is presuppose who will be in what camp. Once we as commish, stick our finger in to nudge something, the consequences are often different that what one would expect. Anyone who has been commish has learned this. One thing I say each year at our draft..."is it is not my responsibility to compensate for your ignorance. It's your team, run it the way you want. Just follow the rules"

BTW

I love this thread...

Popeye, your point is perfectly valid, and Ohiostate would not have been wrong to leave him with you either. I think, that once he took it upon himself to look for the first guy, that he was in trouble either way unless he found the name. Every draft is different. In our league (we use CBS too) we have everyone come to my house and draft. Its only ten teams, but several owners travel from long distance. If someone is drafted who is not on the list, we simply write him in. Last year the last player taken in our draft was Fast Willie Parker. Several people said WHO?

Anyway, sometimes there is no right answer. Only a less wrong one. You did nothing wrong and deserved Mike Bell. But not at the first guys expense. If the shoes were turned my guess is that you would see it that way too. Dont be mad at the commish, consider it an area you need to clarify in your rules for next year. Then get back to your draft and be happy. Of course if you win the league don't forget to remind everyone the obstacles that you had to overcome. If you lose....well excuses are so unbecoming.

Good luck to you and your team Popeye.

Hardrocker

Thanks Hardrocker. It matters not to me who gets Bell. Chances are he won't even be starting. I was just trying to make a point that everyone has the same capabilities as me on searching for players and it is not my fault that I knew how to do it but yet noone else knew. I am not pissed at the commish at all, but I do feel like it is being handled wrong the way he is putting Bell on the waiver wire. No doubt if Bell ends up starting everyone will throw their first game to be able to pick him up on waivers. NOW another can of worms is opened.