[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DD

HowboutthemCowboys

This is amusing.

Brady made 1 bad throw and cost his team that game, but isn't it the same guy who led 2 comeback drives in SUPERBOWLS to give his team a ring? Im pretty sure it was.

I'm pretty sure that you're wrong. Brady never trailed in a SB.

My point was that Brady's success in the SB is strongly tied to his defense. When he doesn't have it behind him, he's less-than-invincible. Ty Law scored as many TDs as NE's offense in SB 36. McNabb was picked off three times in SB 39 (twice in NE's red zone, IIRC).

Joe Montana, on the other hand, actually lead his team to a comeback in that second SB against the Bengals.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fouts was head-and-shoulders above his peers as a passer over that three-year stretch. Something tells me that Fouts in his prime would've done just fine in Brady's place today.

Something tells me he wouldn't. Like I said the athletes are so much bigger, stronger and faster now. Their training is so much more intense and the game is so much faster than it was. Not to bash the old timers but most of them wouldn't be able to handle todays game.

He never trailed in the closing drive, but was behind in some point of all 3 SB games.

:D

Edited by Big John

He never trailed in the closing drive, but was behind in some point of all 3 SB games.

My bad. You're correct. But he never lead any of those teams to "come-from-behind" drives late in the 4th quarter.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about DD :D

Pzhh, where in this thread does it say its about DD? :D

Oh yea, the title and the first couple of pages...

Edited by CD6405

Something tells me he wouldn't. Like I said the athletes are so much bigger, stronger and faster now. Their training is so much more intense and the game is so much faster than it was. Not to bash the old timers but most of them wouldn't be able to handle todays game.

I wouldnt' say that at all. Jim Brown in his prime would absolutely maul today's smaller linebackers. Also keep in mind that Brown never saw nickel or dime coverages and STILL ran over opposing defenses like they were children. Payton would be a 2,000-yd back in today's game as well. Butkus in his prime would also put Ray Lewis to shame. Ronnie Lott would make Rodney Harrison look like a schoolgirl and Kellen Winslow Sr. would have no problem matching up with Gonzo and Gates. Oh, and that Jerry Rice guy in his prime would still be better than Randy Moss.

I think it's fair to say that the game has more emphasis on speed now, which translates into smaller, faster linebackers and defensive backs. Today's popular zone-blocking schemes also require faster (i.e., smaller) offensive linemen.

And comparing Fouts to Brady...

Dan Fouts: 6'3", 204 lbs.

Tom Brady: 6'4", 210 lbs.

Not much of a difference in size, neither are that mobile, and both's arms can handle 500-600 passes/season.

Your bad again.

NWE vs Car

4th quarter 8:07

Car 22 NWE 21

Final

Car 29 NWE 32

Um, over half of the quarter was left with that one-point lead. What's your point? Is it that Vinatieri, um I mean Brady, could engineer a MIRACULOUS long-field-goal comeback at the very end when Kasay sent the kickoff out-of-bounds with the score tied at 29? :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Brady reminds me a lot more of Aikman than he does of Montana. Frankly neither Aikman or Brady would get in the HOF if stats were all that mattered. Both were fortunate enough to play on the right team at the right time. Aikman should not have been a 1st ballot guy, and neither should Brady. By the way, I'm a Cowboy fan, and I'm here to tell you Montana was a hell of a lot better than both Aikman and Brady, as were Marino and Elway.

Look at Brady's stats compared to Aikman and Montana. Aikman threw for 20 td's once. Brady has doen it every year, and led the league in yards. Brady's stats are far more impressive that those of Aikmans.

If I'm going to be "told" something about NFL QBs, it's going to be from somebody who actually knows how to evaluate talent.

Anybody who equates Aikman to Marino and Peyton Manning knows jack $hit about evaluating QBs.

Says the self proclaimed god of qb knowledge. So are you know going to try and argue Otto Grahams greatness? If so, you should do yourself a favor and stop. Brady Vs. Marino is debatable. Otto's dominance over a league is not.

My point was that Brady's success in the SB is strongly tied to his defense. When he doesn't have it behind him, he's less-than-invincible. Ty Law scored as many TDs as NE's offense in SB 36. McNabb was picked off three times in SB 39 (twice in NE's red zone, IIRC).

Joe Montana, on the other hand, actually lead his team to a comeback in that second SB against the Bengals.

I guess the super bowls don't count as post season games...

How old are you again?

Edited by piratesownninjas

Um, over half of the quarter was left with that one-point lead. What's your point? Is it that Vinatieri, um I mean Brady, could engineer a MIRACULOUS long-field-goal comeback at the very end when Kasay sent the kickoff out-of-bounds with the score tied at 29? :D

You make a statment that was proven wrong...

You refine your statment to make yourself correct...

You are once again proven wrong.

You further refine you statment to make your self correct.

Stick with a freaking statment...

How about this... Brady never led the patriots to a comeback in a post season game when the wind was blowing out of the southeast with 1:32 left in the fourth quarter...

And im the j@ckass.

Old enough to tell that you were still in diapers when Marino was wearing a Dolphins uniform.

Im thinking that you're bitter for some reason... Maybe its that you don't want to give respect to this generations elite players, that are at the very least equal to what your generation put out.

You make a statment that was proven wrong...

You refine your statment to make yourself correct...

You are once again proven wrong.

You further refine you statment to make your self correct.

Stick with a freaking statment...

How about this... Brady never led the patriots to a comeback in a post season game when the wind was blowing out of the southeast with 1:32 left in the fourth quarter...

Since you obviously don't remember, it was BRADY'S INTERCEPTION that allowed Carolina to take the lead in the first place (the 85-yd bomb to Muhammad occurred only a few plays later). So, yes, after digging him team into a one-point hole, Brady managed to take the lead again, before quickly losing it again late in the 4th quarter. And after Kasay gave the Pats offense a gift by sending the kickoff out of bounds, Vinatieri got Brady a ring... again.

And im the j@ckass.

You absolutely are. And your proclomation that Aikman was on Marino's level makes you an ignorant j@ckass as well. Do yourself a favor and watch film on Marino. It's obvious that you haven't so far.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I wouldnt' say that at all. Jim Brown in his prime would absolutely maul today's smaller linebackers. Also keep in mind that Brown never saw nickel or dime coverages and STILL ran over opposing defenses like they were children. Payton would be a 2,000-yd back in today's game as well. Butkus in his prime would also put Ray Lewis to shame. Ronnie Lott would make Rodney Harrison look like a schoolgirl and Kellen Winslow Sr. would have no problem matching up with Gonzo and Gates. Oh, and that Jerry Rice guy in his prime would still be better than Randy Moss.

I think it's fair to say that the game has more emphasis on speed now, which translates into smaller, faster linebackers and defensive backs. Today's popular zone-blocking schemes also require faster (i.e., smaller) offensive linemen.

And comparing Fouts to Brady...

Dan Fouts: 6'3", 204 lbs.

Tom Brady: 6'4", 210 lbs.

Not much of a difference in size, neither are that mobile, and both's arms can handle 500-600 passes/season.

Jim Brown would still run over todays D's, Payton wouldn't run for 2,00- yards but come close and theres no chance in hell that Butkus would put Ray Lewis to shame. Thats crossing the line there and Kellen Winslow wouldnt match up with Gates and Gonzo. The Jerry Rice comment is pointless because he obv put up stats against todays players.

Im thinking that you're bitter for some reason... Maybe its that you don't want to give respect to this generations elite players, that are at the very least equal to what your generation put out.

No, it's a matter of me not agreeing that a guy is one of the Top 10 ever YET simply because he happened to play on three really good teams and has put up good numbers in just five seasons as a starter. If you'll look back through this thread, I said that Brady will probably crack the Top 10 in another five years or so.

for my 2 cents..

I don't think Aikman was that great, he just had two real HoF around him. Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin.

You got a great RB and one great WR; of course Aikman will do a lot better with that around him.

I think Aaron Brooks could be mildy successful in that situation...

Unless he tried that trick where you run around and then try to throw a ball to an offensive lineman behind you...again.

Edited by CD6405

for my 2 cents..

I don't think Aikman was that great, he just had two real HoF around him. Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin.

You got a great RB and one great WR; of course Aikman will do a lot better with that around him.

I think Aaron Brooks could be mildy successful in that situation...

Unless he tried that trick where you run around and then try to throw a ball to an offensive lineman behind you...again.

let's not forget Jay Novacek and the guys who kept Aikman upright and opened the lanes for Mr. Smith. :D

hopefully this thread will come to an end now :D

Reading this thread was akin to reading War and Peace in Angolan--amusing, but overall not worth the effort.

Marino is the best QB to play the game so far, and Montana was the most clutch. Coincidentally, they are both from Western PA, where I am from, so I am more than a little biased. :D

Since you obviously don't remember, it was BRADY'S INTERCEPTION that allowed Carolina to take the lead in the first place (the 85-yd bomb to Muhammad occurred only a few plays later). So, yes, after digging him team into a one-point hole, Brady managed to take the lead again, before quickly losing it again late in the 4th quarter. And after Kasay gave the Pats offense a gift by sending the kickoff out of bounds, Vinatieri got Brady a ring... again.

Once again, changing your statment...

You said Brady never trailed in the post-season... Only later to refine it to late in a post season game, now you're discounting because he threw an interception... My word, you talk about me being a jackass, yet, im sticking with what I say, not changing it every few minutes...

You absolutely are. And your proclomation that Aikman was on Marino's level makes you an ignorant j@ckass as well. Do yourself a favor and watch film on Marino. It's obvious that you haven't so far.

im an ignorant jackass because I equate leadership, stepping up in big games, and leading teams to super bowl victories over stats... Granted, Marino did some phenominal things, he just didnt step up hugh when it mattered most. If a differing opinion makes me a jackass... Wait a second... Calling others stupid because they have an opinion that differs from yours... Changing your statments around when proved wrong... Are you in office somewhere?