[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CPep may not start week 5

keggerz

Dolphins | Culpepper practices Friday, may not start Week 5

Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:43:01 -0700

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports Miami Dolphins QB Daunte Culpepper (shoulder) returned to practice Friday, Oct. 6, but may not start Week 5. "This is not an issue relative to results or anything that has happened in games," said head coach Nick Saban. "It's a physical, medical, ability issue. Can the guy do what he needs to do to be successful? If we were 4-0 right now, we'd be having the same conversation."

Although Daunte Culpepper practiced Friday and is listed as probable for Sunday's game against New England, the Dolphins will have a decision to make on his starting status.

Coach Nick Saban said Friday that Culpepper has a bruised right (throwing) shoulder and that is the reason he missed a portion of practice Thursday.

Saban also said he will have to decide sometime before Sunday's 1 p.m. kickoff whether to start Culpepper or backup Joey Harrington.

Saban said he would discuss the decision with Culpepper but ultimately would make a decision that could potentially ''protect people from themselves,'' referring to Culpepper's desire to compete.

Culpepper declined to speak to the media Friday.

Does anyone really thinK Joey Harrington would make them better?

There are numerous occassions in the NFL where the best athlete isn't necessarily the best player at a certain position. The only way to find if Harrington is a better fit for MIA at QB is to put him out there. One thing is certain - MIA is dreadful with Culpepper at QB right now.

This is total speculation but....

I really don't think that CPep is that hurt, he could play if he wanted. Saban is just saying it's an injury instead of saying he's being "benched". If he said that Cpep was being benched that would be admitting he was wrong and would make him look like a fool. I think they will give Joey the start and if he plays well who knows what will happen.

This is total speculation but....

I really don't think that CPep is that hurt, he could play if he wanted. Saban is just saying it's an injury instead of saying he's being "benched". If he said that Cpep was being benched that would be admitting he was wrong and would make him look like a fool. I think they will give Joey the start and if he plays well who knows what will happen.

I think that is an entirely reasonable scenario. Puts Harrington's nuts in a vice, though. Traveling to NE to play with the team reeling is a tough spot for any QB to take over the reins. If MIA does manage a W (which I don't think they can, BTW), Saban may not be able to change back to Culpepper - and I'm not sure what the MIA ownership position is on all of this, but I would imagine that Culpepper is their darling.