[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

did tatum reaggrevate turf toe?

samurai30

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We now have a bonafide RB controversy here. Who starts next week vs PIT, and how will anyone know who'll get the bulk of the carries? The only thing I can think of in the past that this may equate to is when Portis wasa rookie, but Shanahan started Gary for 4 games despite it being obvious that Portis was the better RB, just to get some confidence into Portis & to get Shanahan's confidence in Portis up after his 3 fumble preseason game.

The O scores 17 points max w/ T Bell running, then manages 31 w/ M Bell stealing the show in the 2nd half and making some incredibly tough runs. But T Bell was the leading rusher in the AFC entering this week's games. :confused:

In any case, congrats to IND. The 1 turnover by either team was the difference in the game. IND deserved to win, but there's still some warts on that team. **cough** **cough** rushing D **cough** **cough**

We now have a bonafide RB controversy here. Who starts next week vs PIT, and how will anyone know who'll get the bulk of the carries? The only thing I can think of in the past that this may equate to is when Portis wasa rookie, but Shanahan started Gary for 4 games despite it being obvious that Portis was the better RB, just to get some confidence into Portis & to get Shanahan's confidence in Portis up after his 3 fumble preseason game.

The O scores 17 points max w/ T Bell running, then manages 31 w/ M Bell stealing the show in the 2nd half and making some incredibly tough runs. But T Bell was the leading rusher in the AFC entering this week's games. :confused:

In any case, congrats to IND. The 1 turnover by either team was the difference in the game. IND deserved to win, but there's still some warts on that team. **cough** **cough** rushing D **cough** **cough**

warts?

It looks worse than that to me. . .

Mike Bell rushed 15 times for 136 yards and two touchdowns Sunday, with 135 yards coming after halftime.

Tatum Bell told Mike Shanahan at halftime he couldn't cut back on his injured toe, something Mike Bell did explosively in the second half. Mike protected Jake Plummer and ran over defenders in a performance that could force a time-share moving forward in Denver. Considering the chronic nature of turf toe injuries, Mike could take over. Make sure he's owned in your league. rotowire

The O scores 17 points max w/ J Plummer prior to this week, then manages 31 w/ some J Plummer impersonator actually completing a few throws when needed and running in a score (that should have gone to Tatum). But T Bell was the leading rusher in the AFC entering this week's games. :confused:

[/i]

fixed :D

he's not known for a RBBC :D

October 30, 2006, 07:42

Broncos :: RB

RB T. Bell Pulls Himself From Game, Turf Toe

Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News -

RB Tatum Bell told Broncos coaches during halftime he was struggling with his cutting and while he could play, was unable to shoulder the load. Tatum Bell's issue is a reoccurring turf toe injury sustained in the game at Cleveland last week. That left the main responsibility to RB Mike Bell. He had 129 of his career-best 136 yards and two touchdowns after halftime. Mike Bell's performance marked the fourth 100-yard game by a Broncos back this season. It remains to be seen if his workload will increase now that he has produced in a go-to role. "I'm not sure," he responded. "Tatum's been playing great, so one game isn't going to overshadow what he's done."

RB Tatum Bell told Broncos coaches during halftime he was struggling with his cutting and while he could play, was unable to shoulder the load. Tatum Bell's issue is a reoccurring turf toe injury sustained in the game at Cleveland last week. That left the main responsibility to RB Mike Bell. He had 129 of his career-best 136 yards and two touchdowns after halftime. Mike Bell's performance marked the fourth 100-yard game by a Broncos back this season. It remains to be seen if his workload will increase now that he has produced in a go-to role. "I'm not sure," he responded. "Tatum's been playing great, so one game isn't going to overshadow what he's done."

Not gonna get too excited just yet but I sure am happy I held on to him in my leagues. If he does get the bulk of the work, what better time than this to happen than in the stretch run?

Oh what the hell... :D:doh::D:huh::bash::lol::clap::(:tup:;)

while he could play

says who? Tink? even after re-assuming his CofP role he looked miserable.

Shanny better take notice. You couldn't have had a bigger contrast... Tinker plays the entire first half and it's the same 'ol Denver O. Mike comes out in the second half and it's a track meet. :D

i guess some of that could be contributed to the Indy D wearing down as the game went on but if that was the case Tink would've also had a better showing for his few carries in the 2nd half.

Edited by kingfish247

says who? Tink? even after re-assuming his CofP role he looked miserable.

Shanny better take notice. You couldn't have had a bigger contrast... Tinker plays the entire first half and it's the same 'ol Denver O. Mike comes out in the second half and it's a track meet. :D

I'm not quite sure about that. Shanahan showed a commitment to rolling Plummer outside the pocket from the get-go, and it made a huge impact on the O.

I do think that M Bell showed he is a much more physical runner, and much more effective between the tackles than T Bell - and that's DEN's bread-and-butter.

I also have a huge problem with what I read in the DEN Post in Sunday's paper, where it talked about T Bell being the man at RB in DEN, and how he was the leading rusher in the AFC, but then talked about how his longest run of the year was only 39 yds, and how he didn't find the endzone. T Bell's response was that because he was getting the bulk of the carries, he was "pacing" himself each game. Pacing himself? Say What Willis??

I think I can dig up the link & the quote if anyone is interested.

Post edit - sorry, it was a Rocky Mountain News feature on T Bell on Saturday:

link

Bell already is only five short of the 21 carries he made last season of 10 or more yards. But nearly half of those long runs in 2005 went more than twice that distance, including three gains of 50-plus yards. This year, Bell's longest run is 39 yards, and that came in the opener. He has only two other runs exceeding 20 yards through six games.

That, too, traces back to his added responsibilities and the price paid to get them.

"Tate's running hard between the tackles and doing the things we want him to do. But he's carrying the ball more, so he may not be as fresh as we was last year when he was the change-of-pace guy, breaking those gains off," Denver assistant head coach Mike Heimerdinger said. "When you're carrying it 25 times, whatever it is, he may not have the same explosion he had before."

Bell averaged only 11.5 carries last season. The past four games have been his four busiest in career attempts: 24, 23, 19 and 27.

And while Bell explained that he's able to go the entire game without being completely worn out, having full-time duty has changed his mind-set to pacing himself more rather than trying to meet the unrealistic expectation of hitting the big play on every carry. That was more his thought process in his part-time role.

Ugh. Pacing himself? You think TD "paced" himself? You think Tomlinson or L Johnson "pace" themselves? You think Tiki "paces" himself?

Sounds like a guy who knows he can't and/or shouldn't be a featured RB.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'm not quite sure about that. Shanahan showed a commitment to rolling Plummer outside the pocket from the get-go, and it made a huge impact on the O.

I do think that M Bell showed he is a much more physical runner, and much more effective between the tackles than T Bell - and that's DEN's bread-and-butter.

I also have a huge problem with what I read in the DEN Post in Sunday's paper, where it talked about T Bell being the man at RB in DEN, and how he was the leading rusher in the AFC, but then talked about how his longest run of the year was only 39 yds, and how he didn't find the endzone. T Bell's response was that because he was getting the bulk of the carries, he was "pacing" himself each game. Pacing himself? Say What Willis??

I think I can dig up the link & the quote if anyone is interested.

please post.

while I agree with your assessment of Shanahan rolling Plummer out early. To their credit Plummer and his receivers were capitalizing more on those opportunities than they have all season. Even though Tatum took all but 1 first half carry by a DEN RB, it was Plummer and the receivers' play that kept their drives alive.

outside of a 15yd carry called back by a holding penalty (which was not just a hold behind the play. had Foster not made the hold Tatum probably would've lost yardage), Tatum was ineffectual.

or at least he wasn't up until last year...

exactly....once out of....how many years?...maybe even the 2nd time in a decade...

the backfield was poo last year...Tater has turf toe and it's only a matter of time before he sits. The fact that he continues to play on it makes Mike Bell's value even stronger heading into the fantasy playoffs...

Not gonna get too excited just yet but I sure am happy I held on to him in my leagues. If he does get the bulk of the work, what better time than this to happen than in the stretch run?

Oh what the hell... :D:doh::D:huh::bash::lol::clap::(:tup:;)

I've held onto him since draft day..

+3. I have hin in 3 of four leagues and am ecstatic right now. Great call to all who drafted him and hung on!

I've always said it was just a matter of time before Tatum got injured..

I was just about to cave in to trading for Tatum and then he gets the turf toe and I jumped right off that...

I've always said it was just a matter of time before Tatum got injured..

I was just about to cave in to trading for Tatum and then he gets the turf toe and I jumped right off that...

Don't I know it...been asking for Tatum and was offered Tatum and Lundy for FWP. 10 minutes after it was offered, the Bell owner called back to pull it off the table because he felt Tatum would have a "monster game" this weekend.

BTW, he lost.

Don't I know it...been asking for Tatum and was offered Tatum and Lundy for FWP. 10 minutes after it was offered, the Bell owner called back to pull it off the table because he felt Tatum would have a "monster game" this weekend.

BTW, he lost.

exactly...I would have liked Lundy for FWP, though...unless Batch takes over for a few weeks..

+3. I have hin in 3 of four leagues and am ecstatic right now. Great call to all who drafted him and hung on!

Being one of the bigger Mike Bell advocates on the board, for numerous reasons I've already described in numerous threads, and being a Mike Bell owner in two leagues where I drafted him & did not drop him for the aforementioned reasons, let's not overlook 2 facts:

1) No M Bell owner started him last weekend with the exception of owners who were forced to because of byes/injuries providing no other alternatives for them at RB, and

2) Shanahan chose T Bell to be his week 1 starter after naming M Bell the #1 RB all preseason.

I too am ecstatic over the course of events regarding the DEN RB position in the IND game, again on a few levels beyond my being a M Bell owner, but realistically unless T Bell is listed as questionable or worse on the injury report there is absolutely no way of knowing how this whole damn thing will shake out in the future.

Being one of the bigger Mike Bell advocates on the board, for numerous reasons I've already described in numerous threads, and being a Mike Bell owner in two leagues where I drafted him & did not drop him for the aforementioned reasons, let's not overlook 2 facts:

1) No M Bell owner started him last weekend with the exception of owners who were forced to because of byes/injuries providing no other alternatives for them at RB, and

2) Shanahan chose T Bell to be his week 1 starter after naming M Bell the #1 RB all preseason.

I too am ecstatic over the course of events regarding the DEN RB position in the IND game, again on a few levels beyond my being a M Bell owner, but realistically unless T Bell is listed as questionable or worse on the injury report there is absolutely no way of knowing how this whole damn thing will shake out in the future.

he'll be a #3 RB for me at best if he's a starter..until I see him run a full game...and also be the starter, I'm willing to bite the bullet for a game and not start him just to be clear on his situation...