[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best Scoring System

theeohiostate

of the two i like the Huddle scoring, but really wish they'd do something of the TE's getting double receiving points over WR and RB's.

I like the WCOFF roster and starting lineup requirements.

I been tweaking my scoring over past few years and rosters.

Post your favorite leagues system

Yeah... defenses should not be able to score negative points, but we know about that problem in Empire. :D

I actually agree with Defenses (or any other player for that matter) to get negative points for playing bad. But I think the huddle system is skewed a little too much toward the negative.

To each his own I guess...

The premise on defenses getting negative points was to make them more valuable (in the ways that are more easily forecasted and less reliant on lucky plays) because getting a bad one hurts - just like having a bad defense hurts an NFL team.

In football, of course, defenses have the role to not allowing the opponent to hurt you. If they do not do their job, then even a high scoring offense is going to be challenged to win games. Without negatives on defenses, a team could just go out and grab any defense each week and end up with nothing worse than a zero. But in the Perfect Huddle, if you do not ensure you have a decent defense, then is it going to affect what your offense is doing for you.

The premise on defenses getting negative points was to make them more valuable (in the ways that are more easily forecasted and less reliant on lucky plays) because getting a bad one hurts - just like having a bad defense hurts an NFL team.

In football, of course, defenses have the role to not allowing the opponent to hurt you. If they do not do their job, then even a high scoring offense is going to be challenged to win games. Without negatives on defenses, a team could just go out and grab any defense each week and end up with nothing worse than a zero. But in the Perfect Huddle, if you do not ensure you have a decent defense, then is it going to affect what your offense is doing for you.

I agree with what you are saying DMD, but looking at the defenses in that scoring system it seems that you need an elite defense to even have a chance at scoring points. A medicore one will lose you 2 to 5 points per week (I'm basing my point on the Perfect Scoring system article in the archives).

If that is the case, I'd almost be better off starting no defense and taking the zero. If both my defenses are bad, it'd be the safer play.

I agree with what you are saying DMD, but looking at the defenses in that scoring system it seems that you need an elite defense to even have a chance at scoring points. A medicore one will lose you 2 to 5 points per week (I'm basing my point on the Perfect Scoring system article in the archives).

If that is the case, I'd almost be better off starting no defense and taking the zero. If both my defenses are bad, it'd be the safer play.

That was the point - defenses are really about scoring points. A good defense should end up costing you nothing and only a great showing net you points. A bad one should cost you.

In leagues that use this or similar scoring for defenses end up saying that if you do not submit a defense or use one from a bye week, you are automatically given the lowest score from any defense that week.

Realize this too about negative points. They are all just relative. if you want to move the scale upwards so the worst team still remains at zero or above, the same teams win or lose games. Only the score goes higher.

i enjoy a defense that costs you if it messes up, but I really hate negative points for missed FGs. :D Not sure why. I think maybe because it puts too much value to the worthless kickers.

The Perfect Huddle doesn't do that. I agree - I hate penalizing for missed kicks because many of them are due to the holder or the rush. It's like penalizing for an incompleted pass.

The Perfect Huddle doesn't do that. I agree - I hate penalizing for missed kicks because many of them are due to the holder or the rush. It's like penalizing for an incompleted pass.

I saw a league once with pretty normal performance scoring, but HUGH points were deducted if the kickers missed. Like 50,75, and 100 based on yardage. The closer, the more it deducted. Hows does that fancy ya?

Do other positons get negative points for playing bad? No, so why should a defense?

I actually agree with Defenses (or any other player for that matter) to get negative points for playing bad. But I think the huddle system is skewed a little too much toward the negative.

To each his own I guess...

Do other positons get negative points for playing bad? No, so why should a defense?

In my local QB's lose 3pts for INT's and 2pts for fumbles, so they will sometimes score negative.

because all players start at 0, and move up. DEFENSES start at whatever, and move down. So if I draft a DEF that constantly allows say, 40 pts a game, It better be helping my team more than a DEF that allows 50 pts a game.

I don't base a positions value by the scoring....because everyone at that position is capable of getting the same amount of points....

I base positions by where the dropoff at talent is and how big the dropoff is...

regardless if it's 2 PPR or 1 PPR, Gates is still worthy of an early 3rd round pick...

Edited by Avernus

I had Mike Hall change it back from giving TEs 2 pts per reception to just one because it was making the TEs too valuable.

[devilsadvocate]

Did you ever consider 1.5 ppr for TEs vs 1.0 ppr for everyone else except 0.5 ppr for RBs?

That's what we use in TOCOL, and it seems to reward stud TEs just about right while giving standard TEs enough impact to make them more useful than Ks.

[/devilsadvocate]

Edited by Bronco Billy

One problem that I have with the perfect?Huddle scoring system is that you need 3 sacks from your Defense to get a single point. If you have a dominant performance out of your D and they get 5 sacks - that nets you a whopping 1 point. If recovered fumbles and picks get 2 points each, certainly sacks are worth more than .33 points. Especially when negative points on D are so easy to accrue in this scoring system.

One problem that I have with the perfect?Huddle scoring system is that you need 3 sacks from your Defense to get a single point. If you have a dominant performance out of your D and they get 5 sacks - that nets you a whopping 1 point. If recovered fumbles and picks get 2 points each, certainly sacks are worth more than .33 points. Especially when negative points on D are so easy to accrue in this scoring system.

i've always felt sacks and ints and fumble rec. should be worth more than 2 pts. This is the same as a WR getting a catch for 10 yards (in PPR of course)

I feel keeping them so low makes it easy to just look past defenses in the draft until much later.

However, I never say anything, because I'll draft my defense about 3 rounds before my kicker and about 2 rounds after my QB and still do pretty good, because people wasted early picks on DEF (other than CHI of course).

[devilsadvocate]

Did you ever consider 1.5 ppr for TEs vs 1.0 ppr for everyone else except 0.5 ppr for RBs?

That's what we use in TOCOL, and it seems to reward stud TEs just about right while giving standard TEs enough impact to make them more useful than Ks.

[/devilsadvocate]

We do something similar in Cowboys & Indians ...

0.2 pts for all rushing attempts

0.2 pts for all receptions by RBs

1.5 pts for all receptions by WRs

2.0 pts for all receptions by TEs & QBs (albeit QB receptions are pretty rare)

0.10 pt for all rushing/receiving yards

0.05 pts for all passing yards

6pts for all TDs

-3pts for all INTs

Our top 50 scorers after 8 weeks this year include 16 QBs, 12 RBs, 19 WRs and 3 TEs. During last year, our top 50 players for the season included 13 QBs, 12 RBs, 18 WRs and 7 TEs.

We also have 5pts for FGs of 50yds or longer, 4pts for FGs of 40-49yds and 3pts for FGs of 39 yds or less ... and -2pts for FGs missed of 39yds or less and -1pt for missed FGs of 40-49yds ... plus punters get 0.025pts for every yard punted and 1pt for every punt downed inside the 20.

No defensive scoring. :D

Edited by muck

We do something similar in Cowboys & Indians ...

0.2 pts for all rushing attempts

0.2 pts for all receptions by RBs

1.5 pts for all receptions by WRs

2.0 pts for all receptions by TEs & QBs (albeit QB receptions are pretty rare)

0.10 pt for all rushing/receiving yards

0.05 pts for all passing yards

6pts for all TDs

-3pts for all INTs

Our top 50 scorers after 8 weeks this year include 16 QBs, 12 RBs, 19 WRs and 3 TEs. During last year, our top 50 players for the season included 13 QBs, 12 RBs, 18 WRs and 7 TEs.

We also have 5pts for FGs of 50yds or longer, 4pts for FGs of 40-49yds and 3pts for FGs of 39 yds or less ... and -2pts for FGs missed of 39yds or less and -1pt for missed FGs of 40-49yds ... plus punters get 0.025pts for every yard punted and 1pt for every punt downed inside the 20.

No defensive scoring. :D

Ours is a little more complex, but similar.

5 pts/pass TD

6 pts all other TDs

+0.5 per completion

-0.5 for incompletion

-1 per sack

-0.05 pts/lost sack yds

-2 pts/INT

-2 pts/lost fumble

0.04 pts/pass yd

0.1 pt/ru-rec yd

0.2 pts/ru attempt

0.5 pts/RB recept