[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

tigers get sheffield.....

dmarc117

Wwwwwwwwwow. If Sheff can stay healthy, and this season's Tigers team was no fluke, this could be HUGE for Detroit.

Apparently they dealt a pretty solid pitching prospect (watching ESPN right now and they just discussed the trade) to New York that potentially could be in the rotation next year. Hmm.

I'm not sure who would be worse defensively in LF, Sheffield or Monroe. They're both pretty bad.

I'm happy that the Chi-Sox didn't go after him. His bat is obviously a big plus, but his attitude and penchant for injury are problematic. I'm also glad that the Sox weren't willing to give up a top pitching prospect for him.

Edited by Bill Swerski

His bat is obviously a big plus, but his attitude...

As a Yankee fan I honestly have to say that I could not be more happy about this deal. Sheffield is a great hitter, but he's a punk plain and simple. And he'll be a 38-year old punk in a few days, so you have to wonder how much longer he'll continue the great hitter part, but I seriously doubt the second part will be going away anytime soon. For all the talk about A-Rod's post-season struggles, and rightfully so, Sheffield was 1-12 with no walks and 1 RBI this post-season and he made several costly errors in the field. Yeah, Torre made a terrible decision to keep running him out there at 1B with hardly any experience there, but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't get the job done at the plate or in the field. He's a bad guy who seems to throw his teammates under the bus any chance he gets. He's a .248 career hitter in the playoffs. I'm happy to see him go period.

And besides the addition by subtraction factor, the Yankees got three live young arms for Sheffield. Without question that is and has been their single greatest need for quite some time. Between Philip Hughes and Humberto Sanchez, the Yankees now have two of the top pitching prospects in the minor leagues, and barring injuries, both could be big league ready within the next year or two. I don't recall the last time that I could say that about the team...probably not in my lifetime. I don't know much about the other two guys they got, but they're both supposed to be very solid RP prospects. I've been one to often question Brian Cashman's moves, but I think that he made a great one all around today. I'm ecstatic. :D:D:bash:

As a Yankee fan I honestly have to say that I could not be more happy about this deal. Sheffield is a great hitter, but he's a punk plain and simple. And he'll be a 38-year old punk in a few days, so you have to wonder how much longer he'll continue the great hitter part, but I seriously doubt the second part will be going away anytime soon. For all the talk about A-Rod's post-season struggles, and rightfully so, Sheffield was 1-12 with no walks and 1 RBI this post-season and he made several costly errors in the field. Yeah, Torre made a terrible decision to keep running him out there at 1B with hardly any experience there, but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't get the job done at the plate or in the field. He's a bad guy who seems to throw his teammates under the bus any chance he gets. He's a .248 career hitter in the playoffs. I'm happy to see him go period.

And besides the addition by subtraction factor, the Yankees got three live young arms for Sheffield. Without question that is and has been their single greatest need for quite some time. Between Philip Hughes and Humberto Sanchez, the Yankees now have two of the top pitching prospects in the minor leagues, and barring injuries, both could be big league ready within the next year or two. I don't recall the last time that I could say that about the team...probably not in my lifetime. I don't know much about the other two guys they got, but they're both supposed to be very solid RP prospects. I've been one to often question Brian Cashman's moves, but I think that he made a great one all around today. I'm ecstatic. :D:D:bash:

Obviously the Tigers feel they have a good chance to win the World Series next year or this move would not have been done. Unbelievably the Tigers are completely loaded with young pitching in their system so this made sense from that standpoint. With Verlander, Bonderman, Robertson and Andrew Miller already on the big league roster, young pitching was a luxury for them. There are only so many roster spots on the big league club and those four may be holding the starting spots for years to come. So you give up prospects for a proven bat. I'm not completely enamored with Sheffield given his age and like you said, his attitude. However, if there is one guy who can control him, I believe it is Jim Leyland. Leyland loves the guy and I have to give him and Dombrowski the benefit of the doubt as the moves they have made have been excellent for the most part. The Yankees definitely got a win out of this, but if the Tigers get over the top the next couple of years because of Sheffield's bat then they get a win too. If not, probably a bad deal.

I'm not sure who would be worse defensively in LF, Sheffield or Monroe. They're both pretty bad.

I'm happy that the Chi-Sox didn't go after him. His bat is obviously a big plus, but his attitude and penchant for injury are problematic. I'm also glad that the Sox weren't willing to give up a top pitching prospect for him.

He will be DH and spell Monroe or Mags when they need a break.

As a Yankee fan I honestly have to say that I could not be more happy about this deal. Sheffield is a great hitter, but he's a punk plain and simple. And he'll be a 38-year old punk in a few days, so you have to wonder how much longer he'll continue the great hitter part, but I seriously doubt the second part will be going away anytime soon.

I just can't believe that the Tigers gave a three-year extension to a guy who's in his late 30's, pumped up much of his career numbers with steroids, has mounting injury problems, can't play defense, and is a complete jackass. I imagine that a clubhouse with the "personalities" of Sheffield, Kenny Rogers, and I-Rod will be a real fun place next year. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Obviously the Tigers feel they have a good chance to win the World Series next year or this move would not have been done. Unbelievably the Tigers are completely loaded with young pitching in their system so this made sense from that standpoint. With Verlander, Bonderman, Robertson and Andrew Miller already on the big league roster, young pitching was a luxury for them. There are only so many roster spots on the big league club and those four may be holding the starting spots for years to come. So you give up prospects for a proven bat. I'm not completely enamored with Sheffield given his age and like you said, his attitude. However, if there is one guy who can control him, I believe it is Jim Leyland. Leyland loves the guy and I have to give him and Dombrowski the benefit of the doubt as the moves they have made have been excellent for the most part. The Yankees definitely got a win out of this, but if the Tigers get over the top the next couple of years because of Sheffield's bat then they get a win too. If not, probably a bad deal.

No doubt the Tigers are loaded with young arms. Their desire to add a big bat coupled with Leyland's and Sheffield's history together, and I can see why they had interest in a deal. I'm just extremely happy with what the Yankees' were able to get in return. And I also am a little surprised that the Tigers extended Sheff for two more years right away given his age. Evidently they were looking to make him happy, but that never seems to last for very long. Shockingly, all of Sheff's comments that I've seen about the deal so far, regarding both the Yankees and the Tigers, have been very classy.

Anyway, the latest rumor today is that the Yanks are about to trade that stiff Jaret Wright to the Orioles for another young reliever with a live arm (Chris Britton). This week just keeps getting better and better. :D

If Sheff is motivated, this gives the Tigers a Big bat, that could put them over the top. But they will have stiff competition from their division to just get to the post season. One of Minn, Det or CWS will get left out of the playoffs again next yr and one will represent the AL in the WS.

If Sheff is motivated, this gives the Tigers a Big bat, that could put them over the top. But they will have stiff competition from their division to just get to the post season. One of Minn, Det or CWS will get left out of the playoffs again next yr and one will represent the AL in the WS.

Thanks! With your history with predictions this makes it a sure thing my Yankees will be in the WS next fall.