[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tatum Bell update

Bronco Billy

Rocky Mountain News link

Tatum Bell goes toe-to-toe with nagging injuries

By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News

November 16, 2006

ENGLEWOOD - Broncos running back Tatum Bell conceded Thursday his persistent toe problems likely will be a seasonlong story line and have slowed him down.

"I'm good, man," Bell said after practice. "I'm just going to be hurting and the pain isn't going to heal until the season's over. I've just got to keep on playing and, eventually, I'll get better and get back on a roll for the stretch run right now."

Earlier this week, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said he probably erred in playing Bell as much as he did Sunday in a victory at Oakland, adding Bell is more hurt than he's letting on.

Bell carried 14 times for 37 yards after sitting out most of the second half during the game against the Indianapolis Colts on Oct. 25 and all of the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Nov. 5.

The running back first sprained a big toe Sept. 24, then the other in an Oct. 15 game against the Raiders. He has been walking on eggshells since.

"It's hard. It's pain. I'm dealing with it. But as long as I can run, I've got to deal with the pain," Bell said.

The key is exploding out of cuts, the strength of Bell's game.

"I think I've lost a step a little bit, but I'm getting better," he said.

Bell is expected to start Sunday against the San Diego Chargers. But Shanahan likely will keep a close eye on Bell's production and, given Shanahan's unhappiness with the recent state of the running game, won't hesitate to make a switch.

-----------------------------------------------------

ETC.: All five players listed as questionable for the Broncos - tight end Stephen Alexander (thumb), Tatum Bell, linebacker Ian Gold (right hamstring) and defensive ends Patrick Chukwurah (right hamstring) and Ebenezer Ekuban (right thigh) – missed part of the team period. Ekuban said he wasn't optimistic about his chances of playing after missing two straight practice days

Denver Post link

broncos notes

Tatum Bell ailing, Mike hungry

Veteran's injury will determine rookie's playing status; Nash also prepared to play

By Bill Williamson

Denver Post Staff Writer

Article Last Updated:11/16/2006 10:44:39 PM MST

Tatum Bell is hurting. Mike Bell is hungry.

What does it mean? We'll see.

Tatum Bell, who has been bothered the past month by turf toe injuries, missed some of Thursday's practice, perhaps jeopardizing his chances of playing Sunday night in the Broncos' AFC West showdown against visiting San Diego. Regardless of whether he plays, Bell, who is optimistic about his chances, knows the pain will persist.

"It's just going to be hurting," Bell said. "I'm not going to be able to heal until the season is over, so keep on playing and eventually I'll get better. I have to get back on the road eventually."

Even though he is determined to play through the pain, he knows the injuries have affected him.

"I think I lost a step a little bit, but I'm getting better, like I say," Bell said. "Hopefully this week I'll be able to go out and make some plays."

Meanwhile, rookie Mike Bell said he is ready to break out against the Chargers. He was inactive against the Raiders after having a poor game at Pittsburgh in which he started for the injured Tatum Bell.

"Maybe the coaches were testing me to see how mentally tough I am," Mike Bell said. "I'm ready and I feel good. I feel like a dog on a chain. I'm ready to bust off this chain and start running."

Damien Nash, who was promoted off the practice squad last week, also is a candidate for playing time against the Chargers. Coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday he will continue to evaluate Tatum Bell's injury and the playing status of the other backs daily until Sunday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI, for what it is worth.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Also remember he thought TB was good to go last week after watching him in practice all week. TB was more hurt than he let on and Shanahan was not able to percieve that in practice :D

Just a conspiracy theory running through my head that goes something like this ....

Last week Shanahan figured he wouldn't need Mike Bell to beat the Raiders, so he deactivated him so he could get a good look at how Tatum's injury would hold up in a real game. I think if he had known the game was going to be as close as it was he would not have deactivated MB. As a Tatum owner ... it would not surprise me to see Tatum get 5 touches or less this week since he obviously isn't back up to speed and the Broncos cannot afford to lose this game. While I would love to have Tatum back in the lineup every week if his turf toe problems persist through the rest of the season, I would rather have him riding the pine instead of trying to start him. I am certainly not playing him this week. :D

. I am certainly not playing him this week. :D

That seems fairly obvious. I’d be shocked if anyone who owns Tatum will be playing him. The real question is M. Bell's value this week. I'd like to know who is starting Mike and what player they may be choosing him over. I need to choose one of these 5 players And as of right now this is the order I have them in.

R.Bush

M. Jones-Drew

M.Bell

S. Gado

T. Bell

Who is planning on starting Mike Bell?

Edited by Tally

That seems fairly obvious. I’d be shocked if anyone who owns Tatum will be playing him. The real question is M. Bell's value this week. I'd like to know who is starting Mike and what player they may be choosing him over. I need to choose one of these 5 players And as of right now this is the order I have them in.

R.Bush

M. Jones-Drew

M.Bell

S. Gado

T. Bell

With R Brown & Norwood questionable and Washington not being productive his past 2 games & catching the Bears D, I may have to start M Bell.

C'mon, Ronnie!

R.Bush

M. Jones-Drew

M.Bell

S. Gado

T. Bell

Unless I can work out a trade before this weekend I'll probably be starting him. My other options are Maroney, Rhodes or M. Turner.

R.Bush

M. Jones-Drew

M.Bell

S. Gado

T. Bell

I'm starting M. Bell as my #3 RB, behind LJ and A-Train.

My other option is L. Washington vs CHI, I don't like the matchup.

Good luck this week

I'm starting M. Bell as my #3 RB, behind LJ and A-Train.

My other option is L. Washington vs CHI, I don't like the matchup.

Good luck this week

i'm not starting either Bell this week mostly due to the late game.

i'm going with DeAngelo b/c even if he gets a slice of what St.Louis allows on the ground it will probably be better than anything SD will give up to either Bell, IF either gets the majority of the carries.

Tatum Bell (questionable, toe) sat out practice again Friday.

He'll be a game-time decision and we don't expect him to play, though he wasn't downgraded. If Mike Bell was haphazardly dropped in your league, pick him up. Look for Mike to get significant work against a San Diego defense that will be without Luis Castillo on Sunday night.

soruce: rotoworld

i'm not starting either Bell this week mostly due to the late game.

i'm going with DeAngelo b/c even if he gets a slice of what St.Louis allows on the ground it will probably be better than anything SD will give up to either Bell, IF either gets the majority of the carries.

Last week SD gave up 85 yards and 1TD on only 18 attempts to Rudi Johnson (4.72avg) and another 31 yards on 4 attempts to C. Perry (7.75avg) And I have to imagine DEN will run a lot more than CIN did. So just something to consider, especially since D. Williams touches have been so limited lately.

Tatum Bell (questionable, toe) sat out practice again Friday.

He'll be a game-time decision and we don't expect him to play, though he wasn't downgraded. If Mike Bell was haphazardly dropped in your league, pick him up. Look for Mike to get significant work against a San Diego defense that will be without Luis Castillo on Sunday night.

soruce: rotoworld

And don't forget Merriman is suspended either ... I personally think M Bell will do fairly well on Sunday. Just a hunch.

Edited by junebugz

Last week SD gave up 85 yards and 1TD on only 18 attempts to Rudi Johnson (4.72avg) and another 31 yards on 4 attempts to C. Perry (7.75avg) And I have to imagine DEN will run a lot more than CIN did. So just something to consider, especially since D. Williams touches have been so limited lately.

+1 With the above mentioned injuries to SD's D they are not the runstopping force they have been ... but I would take MBell with more touches than a DWilliams with less touches anytime.

edit to add: castillo injured - merriman suspended

Edited by junebugz

True, but that game was a shootout and I do not think that Denver can throw the ball all over the field like Cincinnati can/did. San Diego had to respect the pass (not that it worked!) and that opened up the running game.

I could be wrong here but I do not see a Denver offense that is capable of putting up a ton of points.

True, but that game was a shootout and I do not think that Denver can throw the ball all over the field like Cincinnati can/did. San Diego had to respect the pass (not that it worked!) and that opened up the running game.

I could be wrong here but I do not see a Denver offense that is capable of putting up a ton of points.

:BroncoBillyvoice: They put up 31 points back-to-back weeks when Mike Bell was starting :/BroncoBillyvoice:

oh i don't disagree but i can't take a late scratch of both Bells and watching Nash or Cobbs come in and tip toe to a 2ypc.

if CAR had a bad matchup i'd take my chances with one of the Bells. also call it a gut feeling... if there's a week where Deangelo will breakout it will be this weekend. Foster has been so bad but i can see him struggling against a VERY generous StL run D. Deangelo gets a few more shots and has a breakout game. :D

i sound like the man-like Shanahan himself :D

Edited by kingfish247