[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

my 6 year old daughter wants 2 gameboys for Xmas...

Down Goes Frazia

We bought my boy a GBA on his 5th Bday. We had to be careful with the games we bought, nothing to difficult, but by 6 he was tearing it up. He has a DS now, but still plays both. Games for the GBA range from $10 to $40, with most new games coming in @ $30. They are fun, durable and a ton of games are available. Used games are out there too.

I had a nephew who was obsessed with the thing and his parents ended up selling it. We've had good luck limiting him to a certain amount of time each day. He's on a lego kick right now though, and hasn't touched them in a week. Go figure............

I'll be OK with the Gameboy once she is 9 or 10, but right now (at 6) the learning from the Leapster games is far more valuable than Super Mario.

In theory I agree with you, but the reality is that 'learning' games aren't cool and I assume she's in 1st grade now. I held out with video games for my oldest child too. It's pretty different for the second child along...and the second one isn't too damaged from it. :D

If it makes you feel better, you could buy Brain Age...that's supposed to be terrific. :D

thnx for all the input... some good chit here. I'll let ya all know what we finally do.

As for the leapster...... the girls already have a leap pad, we're gonna have to go with the gameboys.

You know your kiddos better than anyone here, but fwiw the leap pad and leapster are like night and day different. My daughter had a leap pad when she was 3-4, leapster is much more of a game system.

In theory I agree with you, but the reality is that 'learning' games aren't cool and I assume she's in 1st grade now. I held out with video games for my oldest child too. It's pretty different for the second child along...and the second one isn't too damaged from it. :D

If it makes you feel better, you could buy Brain Age...that's supposed to be terrific. :D

The trick is to get them into the Leapster before all their friends have their GBs.

You know your kiddos better than anyone here, but fwiw the leap pad and leapster are like night and day different. My daughter had a leap pad when she was 3-4, leapster is much more of a game system.

Good info here. My daughter also has a Leap Pad & rarely plays with it anymore.

The trick is to get them into the Leapster before all their friends have their GBs.

Good info here. My daughter also has a Leap Pad & rarely plays with it anymore.

Yeah well, we have both of them here as well. Unfortunately for us, we have two children who are 4 years apart in age. So what was developmentally appropriate for #2 son wasn't as interesting to him as what #1 son had. The younger kids just grow up faster.

Let's face it, once these kids start gaming, they're in it for the fun, not the learning.

I agree, but with Leapster you actually trick them into learning stuff. They may think they are gaming because they get points and such but in reality they are learning valuable math and english skills.

The better you are at adding, the higher your score!! It's a win win for the parents.

Just got the DS for my 8 year old yesterday; I have to admit it looks pretty sweet. Holding off on the DS for the 6 year old for another year. He's got his Gameboy advanced still plus we'll pick up other stuff he'll dig just as much...hopefully. When he gets pissed you don't want to be around, thankfully I can blame it on Santa still.

My 8 & 9 year olds, and my wife, all love the Brain Age game (Nintendo DS).

We have several handheld systems:

Stepson (9) - Nintendo DS

Son (9) - Gameboy Advance

Daughter (8) - getting Nintendo DS for Christmas

Stepson (7) - Nintendo DS

Daughter (6) - nothing yet

Is Big Brain Academy the version for kids?

actually, both games are ok for kids. i played brain age a while ago, but i remember there were simple addition games and memorization games. i haven't played big brain academy, but i know it's along the same lines. nintendo was pitching it to adults and the elderly as a way of "exercising" your brain. at the end of the exercises it gives you a calculation of how "old" your brain is, with the ideal being 18, i think. to me, the daily crossword or sudoku work just as well, but to each his own.

I agree, but with Leapster you actually trick them into learning stuff. They may think they are gaming because they get points and such but in reality they are learning valuable math and english skills.

The better you are at adding, the higher your score!! It's a win win for the parents.

I've found that the Thorpettes always have become bored of any game that is a "learning" mechanism. I've tried, but none of it worked. They're sharp kids, get plenty of schooling, but they just want to play Kirby, or Pokemon, or SuperSmash Brothers, or Kingdom Hearts, or Animal Crossing, or Sims.....or..........

Junkies I tell ya, and I'm partially to blame. :D