[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

my 6 year old daughter wants 2 gameboys for Xmas...

Down Goes Frazia

... one for her & one for her twin sister so they don't have to share. :bash::D

I'm looking for any advice on these. :D we're talk'in the little handheld thing..... not an X-box or PS3. By the looks of the prices I've checked.... I'm look'in @ around $100 per.

does that sound about right ?

thnx

im holding out as long as possable

the 6 year old is starting to ask and the 4 year old twins only want guns and ammo

$100 is way too much. Amazon has the Game Boy Micro (GBA in a different case, essentially) for $70 and the GBA SP for $80:

http://www.amazon.com/Advance-Micro-Silver...F8&s=videogames

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Boy-Advance-Pea...F8&s=videogames

If you're talking about the Nintendo DS, that'll run you closer to $130:

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite-Pol...F8&s=videogames

But for a 6 year old, the Game Boy should be more than sufficient.

i can't talk to you about pricing, but if they are just the little handheld ones... i think it's worth the cost of getting 2 so you doing have to listen to bickering. they can learn the value of sharing by you not buying more than one of the games played.

Edited by Bier Meister

Sounds about right. One thing to consider though is we bought my son one this year for his b-day (6) and he's already outgrown it, he's a gamer though. We had to go get a PS2 for XMAS, he needs the bigger better game system. He really liked the gameboyadvance, but IMO I'd get them the PSP unless you think they'll grow right out of it like mine did.

What kind of Game Boy? The new DS I believe is still the most recent version. I just checked toyrus.com and they were over $100. You may be able to get away with the previous version which I think is a gameboy advance.

We bought my 7 year old a Leapster L-Max last year & she uses it all the time. If you're not ready for her to be a game-junky just yet it's a great alternative and very educational to boot. This year she's already started asking for an X-box, but she's going to have to wait at least another year. We'll see after then & it'll mostly depend on what kind of games are available.

First of all, you do need to get more than one if you have kids the same age.

Also, for kids this age, the Gameboy Advance is more than enough. I'm not sure the Nintendo DS is something they need to have.

The Gameboy Advance is perfect for long car rides, long waits, etc.

The "don't have to share" is sweet, but you'll want to simply avoid the clashes that would happen if one has it and the other wants it.

Something to keep in mind is that you can buy games for these that they can play against each other as long as they each would have a wireless adapter plugged into it. My kids are big into their Gameboy Advance's, and will be upgrading to the Nintendo DS this year, which can still handle their Advance games.

my :D

We bought my 7 year old a Leapster L-Max last year & she uses it all the time. If you're not ready for her to be a game-junky just yet it's a great alternative and very educational to boot. This year she's already started asking for an X-box, but she's going to have to wait at least another year. We'll see after then & it'll mostly depend on what kind of games are available.

What he said....

The leapster is an educational toy that they would love instead of just a waste of time device like Gameboy.

What he said....

The leapster is an educational toy that they would love instead of just a waste of time device like Gameboy.

Exactly. It also will plug into your TV input so they can play on the tv as well.

ive been looking at these ... what kind do you have??

What's the normal age range for these?

For that particular one:

Leapster L-Max™ Learning Game System

Appropriate For Ages 4 to 10 Years

Take learning to the MAX!™

The Leapster L-Max handheld, complete with interactive touch screen, stylus pen and directional pad, allows your child to play action-packed games anywhere - on the go or at home on your TV. Learn to write letters on the L-Max handheld screen - the letters you write will appear on the TV and star in an animated story! Simply insert any of the Leapster or Leapster L-Max cartridges and your child will enjoy mastering preschool through 4th grade skills.

What it Teaches

* Math

* Reading

* Spelling

* Science

* Writing Skills

* Language

* Art & Music

* Logic & Problem Solving Skills

My daughter is 7 now & I figure she'll be interested in it for at least another year. Right now she's reading just about anything we put in front of her and she's already doing math problems just for fun that her class hasn't even started yet. Just last night she had me quizzing her on higher number addition & subtraction problems that she was figuring out in her head...something I'm still not very good at :D and she seems to have an absolute passion for natural science and history (much like I was throughout school). I don't think the Leapster is going to make geniuses out of kids or anything, but she certainly has learned things from it and it has been a lot of fun for her. Edited by rajncajn

$100 is way too much. Amazon has the Game Boy Micro (GBA in a different case, essentially) for $70 and the GBA SP for $80:

http://www.amazon.com/Advance-Micro-Silver...F8&s=videogames

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Boy-Advance-Pea...F8&s=videogames

If you're talking about the Nintendo DS, that'll run you closer to $130:

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite-Pol...F8&s=videogames

But for a 6 year old, the Game Boy should be more than sufficient.

I was looking at a game boy for my 6 year old girl for her birthday and I don't remember seeing any over $75.

Good info here. Instead of the Game Boy, we went with the leapster and she loves it. She is only in kindergarten, but is already doing the higher level games. One thing I like about the leapster is that they base their games on different grade levels.

My youngest used to use his Leapster, and it's OK, but the one we have used to have intermittent battery/electrical issues that made using it frustrating.

If you're going to invest in a Gameboy, the DS lite will last longer for them in terms of what it can do and the screen is better than the SP. The DS lite will run about $130 per as opposed to around $100 for the SP. My kids have used the bejeezus out of theirs. They're great for car trips, etc.

You really do want them each to have one if you're getting them at all..plus you can get a link cable so they can hook them together for some games.