[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LSU vs ND

theeohiostate

I would of thought that Wisconsin should of been in the Sugar Bowl. They were ranked 6th in the nation and that alone should of guaranteed them a BCS Bowl invite. ND had no business being invited to a BCS Bowl just because "they're Notre Dame". That crap is getting old and with the fact that ND hasn't won ANY kind of bowl game in 14 years (9 straight bowl losses) really shows how screwed up the whole BCS process is.

I think that LSU/Wisconsin would of have been a much better match-up.

I think the question was posed in light of the fact that under the current rules, no conference can have more than two teams in the BCS. That takes out Wisconson or anyone from the SEC (of course SEC 3-5 showed that they didn't belong anyway). As you start going through everyone else's #2 team, it starts getting thin. Cal? Rutgers? GA or VA Tech? Texas or NU? Not a whole lot to go with there.

You know, as I write this, I realize that I hate the BCS even more. Adding the 5th game has essentially assured ND that they will be in the BCS nearly every year. There isn't always a Boise St. to take up a spot so next year there could be both that spot and the spot ND took. Since you can't send 3 teams, 4 of the BCS conferences are all going to have to have two teams ranked ahead of ND to keep them out. Considering that they schedule about 7-8 sure wins a year, they basically need to win 2 games against teams that don't suck to make the BCS.

Edited by detlef

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These posts are why, as long as they have a good enough record, the Irish will continue to be in the BCS. Because, love 'em or hate 'em, EVERYONE has an opinion on ND. People will tune in every time they play in one of these games even if it is to see them get blown out. If OSU, a team that will likely win the national title, come out and stumbles to a 2 or 3 loss season next year, no one outside of the state of Ohio will care or continue to talk about them. Texas is a great example of this. But since ND has NATIONAL appeal(good or bad) and other teams have REGIONAL appeal, ND will continue to get a BCS bid.

Oh it's easy for ND to get in every year. This year they were pretty fortunate that they caught Penn State when they did, but think about it... they played a 2 game schedule... got destroyed in both of those games, but look at the rest of there schedule. And despite all of that, their defensive statistics suck. Everyone was able to move the ball on them. So if LSU fans want to think this is the greatest win they've ever had, so be it. I think it's impressive the way they blew Notre Dame out, but LSU caught the 2nd worst (on paper) BCS team, behind only Wake Forrest, AT HOME. I'm not gonna discount the win, because a win is a win and an a$$whoopin is an a$$whoopin, but come on it's Notre freakin' Dame. That defense is horrendous.

I think the question was posed in light of the fact that under the current rules, no conference can have more than two teams in the BCS. That takes out Wisconson or anyone from the SEC (of course SEC 3-5 showed that they didn't belong anyway). As you start going through everyone else's #2 team, it starts getting thin. Cal? Rutgers? GA or VA Tech? Texas or NU? Not a whole lot to go with there.

I would agree both Auburn and Wisconsin should have been in the BCS over Notre Dame & probably Wake Forest based off of BCS rankings if the BCS was simple looking for the best teams in the nation.

LSU isnt even the best team in conference, and shouldn't be ranked ahead of Auburn who beat them and also has 2 loses. Fla beat LSU as well, so LSu should at best be the 3rd best team in conference. LSu would get pummelled by OSU, USC, and Michigan, and already lost to Auburn and FLA, and would lose to OU, Boise, and Wisconsin if they lined up to play them tonight. Tell me how this team is in the top 5 again. absurd. LSu should have been in the cotton bowl playing Nebraska, and Notre dame should have been in the Poulon Josh Gordon eater bowl playing Kansas St.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

You know, as I write this, I realize that I hate the BCS even more. Adding the 5th game has essentially assured ND that they will be in the BCS nearly every year. There isn't always a Boise St. to take up a spot so next year there could be both that spot and the spot ND took. Since you can't send 3 teams, 4 of the BCS conferences are all going to have to have two teams ranked ahead of ND to keep them out. Considering that they schedule about 7-8 sure wins a year, they basically need to win 2 games against teams that don't suck to make the BCS.

Before everyone blast the Irish too bad, keep in mind they did have five quality wins against teams who played in bowl games. Yeah they lost big to the top 2 teams on their schedule but I would argue not too many teams outside the BCS bowls played that much better of a schedule and would have ended up better than 10-2.

Notre Dame 2006 SCHEDULE

Date Opponent / Event Location Time

09/02/06 at Georgia Tech Atlanta, GA W, 14-10

09/09/06 vs. Penn State Notre Dame Stadium W, 41-17

09/16/06 vs. Michigan Notre Dame Stadium L, 47-21

09/23/06 at Michigan State East Lansing, MI W, 40-37

09/30/06 vs. Purdue Notre Dame Stadium W, 35-21

10/07/06 vs. Stanford Notre Dame Stadium W, 31-10

10/21/06 vs. UCLA Notre Dame Stadium W, 20-17

10/28/06 vs. Navy Baltimore, MD W, 38-14

11/04/06 vs. North Carolina Notre Dame Stadium W, 45-26

11/11/06 at Air Force Colorado Springs, CO W, 39-17

11/18/06 vs. Army Notre Dame Stadium W, 41-9

11/25/06 at USC Los Angeles, CA L, 44-24

01/03/07 vs. LSU New Orleans, LA L, 41-14

Edited by Rockerbraves

LSU isnt even the best team in conference, and shouldn't be ranked ahead of Auburn who beat them and also has 2 loses. Fla beat LSU as well, so LSu should at best be the 3rd best team in conference. LSu would get pummelled by OSU, USC, and Michigan, and already lost to Auburn and FLA, and would lose to OU, Boise, and Wisconsin if they lined up to play them tonight. Tell me how this team is in the top 5 again. absurd. LSu should have been in the cotton bowl playing Nebraska, and Notre dame should have been in the Poulon Josh Gordon eater bowl playing Kansas St.

It's called adjustments. LSU's Coach Les Miles should be given a game ball not only for for his halftime adjustments last night but his adjustments at half time of the season. :D

Oh it's easy for ND to get in every year. This year they were pretty fortunate that they caught Penn State when they did, but think about it... they played a 2 game schedule... got destroyed in both of those games, but look at the rest of there schedule. And despite all of that, their defensive statistics suck. Everyone was able to move the ball on them. So if LSU fans want to think this is the greatest win they've ever had, so be it. I think it's impressive the way they blew Notre Dame out, but LSU caught the 2nd worst (on paper) BCS team, behind only Wake Forrest, AT HOME. I'm not gonna discount the win, because a win is a win and an a$$whoopin is an a$$whoopin, but come on it's Notre freakin' Dame. That defense is horrendous.

Exactly. LSU should be ranked in the top 10, maybe 8th. I give them that.

Before everyone blast the Irish too bad, keep in mind they did have five quality wins against teams who played in bowl games. Yeah they lost big to the top 2 teams on their schedule but I would argue not too many teams outside the BCS bowls played that much better of a schedule and would have ended up better than 10-2.

Notre Dame 2006 SCHEDULE

Of course the phrase "win against a bowl team" mattered a whole lot more before that meant "win against a top 60 team".

I do agree to a point and think the dimwits that imply ND is flat out horrible are just plain stupid. Top 10 may be a stretch considering the fact that they've now been pummelled by three teams this year (none as bad as last night I might point out). But they were obviously top 20 material.

Oh, and BTW, can we get a ruling from TOSser? Does 27 pt margin count as a win for LSU?

Assuming a close game on Monday, I'd go:

1/2 - OSU/FLA

3 - USC

4 - LSU

5 - Boise

6 - Michigan

7 - Louisville

8 - Oklahoma

9 - Wisconsin

10 - Texas

11 - ND (maybe)

12 - Cal

13 - 119 - who cares

If Monday night is a blowout, the loser falls to #4 or 5 and others move up.

Assuming a close game on Monday, I'd go:

1/2 - OSU/FLA

3 - USC

4 - LSU

5 - Boise

6 - Michigan

7 - Louisville

8 - Oklahoma

9 - Wisconsin

10 - Texas

11 - ND (maybe)

12 - Cal

13 - 119 - who cares

If Monday night is a blowout, the loser falls to #4 or 5 and others move up.

Obviously we disagree on the obvious. But I honestly think we will see the loser drop 3 spots. I know Ohio State fans don't want to hear that, but your Trojans rout of Michigan will have us all questioning the big 10 if the other so called elite Buckeyes get beat as well. Trojans in fact should be rooting for Ohio State to make your win over Michigan more valuable.

Trojans in fact should be rooting for Ohio State to make your win over Michigan more valuable.

Actually since we can't be #1, I don't care about rooting for another team just to get USC a #2. Too much pride - this is the first year in 4 that at least a share of #1 can't happen for us. And with no money riding on the outcome of the NC game, I just want to see a close game....

As for the BCS, I'm still hopeful that a +1 system can happen within the next few years, with the top 2 ranked BCS bowl winners going to the NC game the following week. #3 will still be pissed, but at least its the start of a playoff-like situation. And I'm hoping the non-BCS conferences keep improving their schedules so that one day an undefeated Utah or Boise St. can actually be in the NC game. I'm afraid the Irish will get in more often too, but as long as they keep losing its fun to see their fan's hopes crushed....

Edited by Coffeeman

Actually since we can't be #1, I don't care about rooting for another team just to get USC a #2. Too much pride - this is the first year in 4 that at least a share of #1 can't happen for us. And with no money riding on the outcome of the NC game, I just want to see a close game....

It's funny you say if you can't be #1 who cares. My son said the same thing this morning. Guess the new generation LSU fan is different from this old farrrt. That's quite an accomplishment for the LSU Football Program.

As far as the NC game I'm in a no lose situation considering my immediate family has lots of buckeye blood to go along with my SEC pride. :D

The way Id vote.

1. OSU

2. Boise St

3. USC

4. FLA

5. Michigan

6. Wisconsin

7. Louisville

8. Oklahoma

9. LSU

10. WVA

11. Texas

12. Rutgers

So, a few posts ago you questioned why LSU should be ranked ahead of an Auburn team that beat them and has as many losses. However, your Sooners lost by a more significant margin to a Texas team with same number of losses as them, yet finish ahead of them? I know you're just fishing because nothing you ever say has any merit or logic anyway. Just thought I'd point out yet another flaw in one of your baseless arguments.

Notre Dame 2006 SCHEDULE

C'mon and let it go... ND came into the Georgia Tech game SUPPOSED to beat them; ranked #2 (miraculously behind the team that eviscerated them in bowl loss #8) and barely got away with a win. Penn State was ranked 19th and still finding their identity when ND thrashed them -- a good win nonetheless. Not sure where you're getting the Purdue, Navy, UCLA win being good wins unless you've included UCLA based on it how Bruins finished up because they were not considered among the elite at the time ND beat them. ND hasn't beaten a top 10 team in two years. Not sure why Quinn is lauded so much because he has solidified his position as colleges premier choker on the grand stage. He gets all the pub leading up to game time but no amount of pub can make someone great; you have to produce in pressure situations (see Ryan Leaf & Heath Schuler). I'm sure that Quinn is the greatest QB since Y.A. Tittle, fact is he hasn't proven it when it counted.

REALITY: 3 Top 10 Opponents in 2006 resulted in a combined 132-59 shellacking.

C'mon and let it go... ND came into the Georgia Tech game SUPPOSED to beat them; ranked #2 (miraculously behind the team that eviscerated them in bowl loss #8) and barely got away with a win. Penn State was ranked 19th and still finding their identity when ND thrashed them -- a good win nonetheless. Not sure where you're getting the Purdue, Navy, UCLA win being good wins unless you've included UCLA based on it how Bruins finished up because they were not considered among the elite at the time ND beat them. ND hasn't beaten a top 10 team in two years. Not sure why Quinn is lauded so much because he has solidified his position as colleges premier choker on the grand stage. He gets all the pub leading up to game time but no amount of pub can make someone great; you have to produce in pressure situations (see Ryan Leaf & Heath Schuler). I'm sure that Quinn is the greatest QB since Y.A. Tittle, fact is he hasn't proven it when it counted.

Very well put. Yes LSU outscored Notre Dame by 3 pts more than Michigan and 4 more that USC. Lets please stop calling this some reason as to why LSU is better than those teams. They haven't beaten Michigan, and they haven't beaten USC. I'm not saying they are worse, but they aren't better. Michigan getting thumped by USC, still doesn't mean that LSU is better, and what if Ohio State thumps Florida, then what? It's pretty much the same type of argument. If I had to rank them... 1. OSU 2. USC 3. Fla 4. LSU 5. Mich 6. Boise 7. Wisc, with 2 through 7 virtually interchangeable.

Michigan only moved way up in the rankings after beating ND. If you take that win away from Michigan what do they have to show for their season? Beating Wisconsin at home? Why should Michigan get credit for beating a team and no one else should?

Michigan only moved way up in the rankings after beating ND. If you take that win away from Michigan what do they have to show for their season? Beating Wisconsin at home? Why should Michigan get credit for beating a team and no one else should?

Hell, so did USC. Well, not way up but they passed Michigan and into the drivers seat for the NC game on the strength of that win.

I'll be ready for you to downplay LSU , just like you did when the Big 10 took down the other two SEC opponents.

Quite simply, this LSU defense hasn't seen an offense like this and can't get pressure on Quinn consistently enough to disrupt ND. I figured as much, what impresses me more then ND killing the LSU D, is the ND defense has shown up for the first time all season, coincidence or the LSU offense?

If i were an LSU fan, i'd be ready to eat some MAJOR crow. This game should be the biggest blowout of the bowl season, if you consider how the teams are "percieved" going into the game.

Not an impressive half by LSU , very similar to what we've already seen out of the SEC by Auburn, Tenn, and Arkansas.

:D Above is TOS Halftime Talk

LSU's second half stats --- LSU 20 Notre Dame 0

Notre Dame held to 30 yards total offense - LSU defense hasn't seen an offense like this :clap:

LSU had over 325 yards of total offense in the 2nd half- what impresses me more then ND killing the LSU D, is the ND defense has shown up for the first time all season, coincidence or the LSU offense? :bash:

Biggest Blowout of the bowl season? LSU 41 ND 14 :D

Edited by Rockerbraves

Whose playing the what-if game now? You beat ND by 24, Michigan beat them by 21. Splitting hairs IMO... same with USC beating them by 20. You can slice it any way you want it, all 3 of those teams have one common opponent, and the result was virtually the same. I'm not going to disagree with anything you said, but the what if scenarios are irrelevant. LSU might jump to #2 if Ohio state wins, but if Florida wins, Ohio State will drop to #2. Bottom line, LSU still lost 2 games, not because the refs screwed them, not because of anything, other than they were beaten. It happens, get over it. And in case you haven't noticed, there is no playoff, and the ESPN experts said last year that USC was the greatest TEAM of all time, and look what happened to them. Ya beat Notre Dame, congrats, nice win, kudos, etc etc etc.

While we are splitting hairs, LSU beat ND by 27 points not 24 (41-14). LSU outgained ND 333 to 30 total yards in the second half. But I do get all the points made by both of you.

:D

There is no way that the ND win is even close to the greatest win LSU has ever had. It is not even in the top 20 IMHO. LSU took care of business and did what it was supposed to do, period.