[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Baseball Scoring rules...

Ralph Furley

Does anyone have a copy of some fantsay baseball rules that they could PM me, or know of a site that I could find them? I started a fantasy baseball league last year, and am looking to tweak my scoring a little. The pitchers were really all-or-nothing, and I'd like to balance that out a bit. I would really like something like the Huddle's Perfect Scoring System. If you're involoved in an established baseball league, would you mind pointing me in the right direction in terms of scoring? Thanks a lot!

Edited by Ralph Furley

some pitching cat to consider:

Basics:

Wins

K's

Whip

ERA

Saves

Whatever suites your fancy:

Losses

Complete games

Holds (i like this one- value to those middle relievers)

ground into double plays (i like this one- value to pitchers that all about the K)

k's/9 innings

etc

some pitching cat to consider:

Basics:

Wins

K's

Whip

ERA

Saves

Whatever suites your fancy:

Losses

Complete games

Holds (i like this one- value to those middle relievers)

ground into double plays (i like this one- value to pitchers that all about the K)

k's/9 innings

etc

I appreciate your help, but I'm looking for more of actual points. For example, a win could be 12 points, a KO is 1 point, a loss is -5, and such. I just need a better balance with my scoring amongst players. Thanks for the info!

I appreciate your help, but I'm looking for more of actual points. For example, a win could be 12 points, a KO is 1 point, a loss is -5, and such. I just need a better balance with my scoring amongst players. Thanks for the info!

i haven't been in a league like that for about 5 years...... so my info on it might be dated :D

This is the standard CBS scoring that we've been using the last several years. Hope it helps:

PITCHING

Wins = 10 pts

Saves = 10 pts

CG's = 5 pts

K's = 1 pt

IP = 2 pts

W's = -0.5 pts

HA's = -0.5 pts

ER's = -1 pt

Of course you really need to see what the hitting is to put it in perspective.

Single = 1

Double =2

Triple = 3

HR = 4

RBI = 1

Run = 1

BB = 1

SB = 2

Good luck.

Edited by Atlas

My main local uses this

1b 3

2b 5

3b 25

hr 15

bb 2

so -3

sb 5

cs -7

rbi 1

pitching

w 7

l -12

so 3

bb -2

ip 1

sv 7

bs -12

cg 25

This is what I'm looking for. I have a PM coming your way...thanks whomper! :D

No problem..I responded to your PM..I cut and pasted the top 30 in both positions but sorry the numbers are all jumbled..We have a great time with this scoring system. People have scored anywhere from 250 to 700 per week. I almost forgot we also have more bonuses

grand slam 25

no hitter 150

perfect game 250

Edited by whomper

My main local uses this

1b 3

2b 5

3b 25

hr 15

bb 2

so -3

sb 5

cs -7

rbi 1

pitching

w 7

l -12

so 3

bb -2

ip 1

sv 7

bs -12

cg 25

Couple of comments, FWIW:

I know triples are less common than HRs, but should they score less?

-12 for a loss seems incredibly punitive - IMO, W/L is the most worthless category in all of baseball because it depends on so many other factors.

-12 for a loss seems incredibly punitive - IMO, W/L is the most worthless category in all of baseball because it depends on so many other factors.

Good points.

You could also question why a single is 3 times more valuable than an RBI. Whats more valuable to a team...getting a hit and going no where, or a sac fly that scores a run. Isn't the idea to cross home?

There's also no reward for scoring a run. Seems that the emphasis here is indvidual stats vs. winning/team driven stats.

MHO

The exact thinking was since a 3b is harder to get then a HR and since they arent as common they get awarded more points..It also is a risk that people take to draft a triple hitter..Its kind of like drafting the goal line guys in football..In some cases they will come up hugh but if they dont get the TD they may dissapoint you a little..But thats onlky true to a point..Under this system the 3b guys are usually decent scorers anyway because they steal bases and get extra base hits..Reyes was the top scorer under this system

Good points.

You could also question why a single is 3 times more valuable than an RBI. Whats more valuable to a team...getting a hit and going no where, or a sac fly that scores a run. Isn't the idea to cross home?

There's also no reward for scoring a run. Seems that the emphasis here is indvidual stats vs. winning/team driven stats.

MHO

I actually left that out by mistake..You do get 1 pt for a run. I can see your point on the rbi but its been that way since we started.. ..Individual stats are usually what drives fantasy sports..Changing rbis would really change the complexion of our league now..

The exact thinking was since a 3b is harder to get then a HR and since they arent as common they get awarded more points..It also is a risk that people take to draft a triple hitter..Its kind of like drafting the goal line guys in football..In some cases they will come up hugh but if they dont get the TD they may dissapoint you a little..But thats onlky true to a point..Under this system the 3b guys are usually decent scorers anyway because they steal bases and get extra base hits..Reyes was the top scorer under this system

I see. Seems fair enough. That -12 for a loss is a real pig, though.

I see. Seems fair enough. That -12 for a loss is a real pig, though.

I forgot to address that part of your post..You're right..It sometimes wipes out a great effort by a pitcher..Hard luck losses where a guy has a nice amount of Ks and doesnt give up many runs really suck under that -12 for a loss..Im going to try And get it down to maybe -7

Edited by whomper

Another League I'm playing has this:

SCORING

Hitters:

At Bat: -.5 Points

Strikeout: -1 point

Single: 2 points

Run Scored: 1 point

Double: 3 points

Stolen Base: 2 points

Triple: 4 points

Caught Stealing: -1 point

Homerun: 5 points

Hit By Pitch: 1 point

Run Batted In: 1 point

Error: -1 point

Walk: 1 point

Grand Slam: 4 points

Pitchers:

Win: 6 points

Effectiveness: (2 x IP) - (2 x ER)

Loss: -1 point

Walk Allowed: -0.5 points

Save: 6 points

Strikeouts: 0.5 points

Blown Save: -2 points

Hits Allowed: -0.5 points

Complete Game: 5 points

Wild Pitch: -1 point

Shutout: 5 points

Balk: -1 point

No Hitter: 10 points

Hit Batter: -1 point

Edited to add: I just joined this league last month and I'm looking into the specs for what the error scoring means. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by joethin

Do a lot of you guys play in point based stats or Rotisserie leagues. Where you win categories and then whoever wins the most wins that week. Not sure if Rotisserie is what it's called.

The only one I'm in has 12 categories and is played on a full week matchup, so you accumulate stats over the whole week in 12 different cats. At the end of the week (Sunday), there are 12 points alloted, one for each cat, so if you win 7 of them you get 7 points. These are effectively Ws and are added to your overall season W-L-T record. You get the picture.

Do a lot of you guys play in point based stats or Rotisserie leagues. Where you win categories and then whoever wins the most wins that week. Not sure if Rotisserie is what it's called.

I could be wrong but I think Rotisserie means you dont play head to head..I think you accumulate stats and the teams are ranked based on a stats system..I have never been in one though so again I may be off.

I've played Rotisserie Leagues and I don't like it as much (probably because I zock at them :D )

Anyway the way the play it out is like this:

It's everybody against everybody and you get points for the highest category(CAT) total for each STAT (HR, RBI, etc).

e.g. 10 team league:

Whoever has the most HR gets 10 points for that CAT

If you have the second highest total in HR then you get 9 points, and so on.

Your total of points accumulates from all your CATS - HR, RBI, SB, AVG, HITS, ERA, W, SV, SO, WHIP - would be a 5 x 5 rotisserie league.

There's no playoffs (That I know about) and the winner is whoever ranks the highest across the board. A well balanced team can win the League without being the first in any CAT.

I prefer the H2H method - either 4x4, 5x5, or Points. :D

• 2 months later...

The only one I'm in has 12 categories and is played on a full week matchup, so you accumulate stats over the whole week in 12 different cats. At the end of the week (Sunday), there are 12 points alloted, one for each cat, so if you win 7 of them you get 7 points. These are effectively Ws and are added to your overall season W-L-T record. You get the picture.

I think this is the type of league I am joining....NEVER played FBB before....football since '93, but never baseball.....

My question is, how do you know who to draft?

Is there a draft strategy?

8 teams in the league, so it appears to be a superstar roster on each team.

what is the most difficult part of following this for a season?

How do you stay focused for so long?

Thanks!