[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Samuel franchised?

godtomsatan

If the Pats got a first rounder for Branch, ah nevermind, you heard that one before.

There is something stopping them from franchising him year after year. If they don't agree on a long term deal, a common thing is for the player to say "I'll sign this one year franchise deal, and not hold out, as long as you have it written in there I can't be franchised next year".

A common thing?!!?!? This has happened one time. ONCE. In the history of the NFL. One time has a guy signed a contract saying he can't be franchised again. Samuel did not sign such a contract. He will be a Patriot, he will probably not show up until the first tuesday of the regular season, and it will probably happen again next year!! I don't understand how something so simple can get blown into something like the Pats getting two first rounders, or even dangling him for one. There is reality, then there is whatever you guys are dreaming about. I know everybody likes to argue with me on here, but seriously, this one is terrible. Get a clue. You don't believe me?? Watch.

Edited by Seahawks21

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One time has a guy signed a contract saying he can't be franchised again. Samuel did not sign such a contract.

He hasn't signed the franchise contract yet, has he? So there is no contract to look at to see if it includes that arrangement or doesn't include it.

One "stellar" season?? Slow down Bill.

Let's see, the Pats were #2 in points allowed in the league. They were #1 in passing TDs allowed (10) and #4 in Picks (22). Samuel had 10 picks in the Reg Season and 2 in the playoffs (both returned for TDs).

Given the fact that Samuel was the only person in the secondary that was healthy for the entire year, I'd say he had a stellar season.

I had posted this further up in the thread....

Sorry, I missed that earlier.

Given the fact that Samuel was the only person in the secondary that was healthy for the entire year, I'd say he had a stellar season.

Or at least a very good one. And he most definitely was "stellar" in the playoffs.

He will be a Patriot, he will probably not show up until the first tuesday of the regular season, and it will probably happen again next year!! I don't understand how something so simple can get blown into something like the Pats getting two first rounders, or even dangling him for one. There is reality, then there is whatever you guys are dreaming about.

No, the reality here is that if Samuel is indeed a non-exclusive franchise player, BB indeed CAN get two first-round picks for him IF he's able to find a taker. That's indisputable.

I know everybody likes to argue with me on here, but seriously, this one is terrible. Get a clue. You don't believe me?? Watch.

You have no freaking idea what's going to happen in the future. Did you crystal ball tell you that Deion Branch was going to hold out and be traded to Seattle for a first-rounder? 'Cause ours sure as hell didn't. A LOT of things can happen between now and September.

Now you think they'll get two-first rounders?!?!? They won't get one, you're crazy. I think it is pretty obvious you are simply trying to get under my skin at this point, is there really any way you can believe what you are saying!?!? A player was franchised, and this has gone on for 30 posts. It should have been a two-post thread. Unbelievable. A lot of things can happen between now and september, none of which include the Pats getting a first-rounder for Asante Samuel. People all the time use the "crystal ball" line on me. Bold statements are the only ones I make, so i am often opposed. I am also right 99% of the time. I would imagine I will get a personal message at some point explaining why you thought what you thought, and how you really are smart and I should take it easy on you. So yes, I do have a crystal ball, and you, sir, have no idea what you're talking about. HE was franchised!!!! He is not the first player to be franchised. Players have been franchised enough years that we should know what to expect by now, at least most of us. Take off the homer shades bro.

Edited by Seahawks21

Now you think they'll get two-first rounders?!?!? They won't get one, you're crazy. I think it is pretty obvious you are simply trying to get under my skin at this point, is there really any way you can believe what you are saying!?!? A player was franchised, and this has gone on for 30 posts. It should have been a two-post thread. Unbelievable. A lot of things can happen between now and september, none of which include the Pats getting a first-rounder for Asante Samuel. People all the time use the "crystal ball" line on me. Bold statements are the only ones I make, so i am often opposed. I am also right 99% of the time. I would imagine I will get a personal message at some point explaining why you thought what you thought, and how you really are smart and I should take it easy on you. So yes, I do have a crystal ball, and you, sir, have no idea what you're talking about. HE was franchised!!!! He is not the first player to be franchised. Players have been franchised enough years that we should know what to expect by now, at least most of us. Take off the homer shades bro.

:D

you just calles Swerski a Pats homer. You're stupiderer than I thought. :D

This isn't about what anyone thinks the Pats can get. It's about the franchise tag meaning that someone would have to be willing to give 2 first round picks to make Samuel an offer, because that's the rule. Of course it's not going to happen...but tradre negotiations might.

probably the dumbest thing ive read on here in quite some time

two things...if the pats shop samuel...he will most certainly fetch a 1st rounder from a team picking in the 20-32 range

and yes, if they did, there is no guarantee that the guy they end up taking will be as solid of a player...or he may not be ready to contribute in year 1...but that guy will also be under contract for 5-6 years at a cheap rate...while some patriots fans were hoping for a complete collapse from the seahawks to make that branch pick a top 10...the patriots couldnt be happier where that pick sits...they love putting guys under those late first round multi year deals....remember the ben watson holdout before he signed his rookie deal...it was over 1 extra year...pats wanted him to sign a 6 year deal...and tom condon wanted to sign him to a 5...well he fired condon and signed

I am also right 99% of the time.

And apparently you're embarrassingly wrong the other 1% of the time. :D

you just calles Swerski a Pats homer. You're stupiderer than I thought. :tup:

:doh:

probably the dumbest thing ive read on here in quite some time

Indeed.

Dude, nobody is trying to start an argument with you. A franchise tag doesn't GUARANTEE that Samuel will be in a Pats uniform in September, despite what you may think. It's LIKELY that he will, but things can change before then. Jeez... :D

Two first round picks for Asante Samuel, and I'm the dumb one??? Sorry for the homer comment, I just didn't think there was any other way you could formulate your theory here. I'm done arguing about this, this thread has disabilities. One way to settle this if you're interested---I'll give you 10-1 on any figure you are comfortable with that Samuel will play for the Pats this year. I will also give you 3-1 on any figure that he will be franchised by them again next year.

Two first round picks for Asante Samuel, and I'm the dumb one???

I think it was very clear that at least two people in this thread said that it's doubtful that would happen. Perhaps you need to put down the bottle and sober up a bit.

Sorry for the homer comment, I just didn't think there was any other way you could formulate your theory here.

For future reference, most people with Peyton Manning avatars AREN'T Patriots fans.

I'm done arguing about this, this thread has disabilities. One way to settle this if you're interested---I'll give you 10-1 on any figure you are comfortable with that Samuel will play for the Pats this year. I will also give you 3-1 on any figure that he will be franchised by them again next year.

Here's the deal: This is a SPECULATION thread, not a betting thread. Nobody wants to make a deal with you. People in here are discussing the POSSIBILTY of Samuel being traded - nobody here is saying that he indeed WILL be dealt. If you want to participate in the discussion, fine. If you're more insterested in being an obnoxious blow-hard who wants to wager money to prove an idiotic point, you're on the wrong board.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I just want one shred of anything that has happened in the history of the NFL that makes you think he could be traded for a draft pick. That's all. One. If I were to say that Brett Favre will end his career as a Raider, wouldn't you think I was crazy, even though it has about as much precedence as your theory?? I just don't understand where you could formulate something that is just so wrong and illogical, then attack somebody who points out the flaws in your theory.

I just want one shred of anything that has happened in the history of the NFL that makes you think he could be traded for a draft pick. That's all. One.

How about Deion Branch being traded for a draft pick by the very same team under the very same GM less than one year ago??? :D And don't give me the "but Deion wasn't franchised" line. He was under contract at the time, just as Samuel will be. There's no difference with regard to the CBA.

If I were to say that Brett Favre will end his career as a Raider, wouldn't you think I was crazy, even though it has about as much precedence as your theory??

No, I'd think that it was unlikely. But I could certainly foresee a situation where the Packers want to rebuild, Brett isn't part of the plan, and Brett isn't ready to retire yet. The drafting of Aaron Rodgers a couple of years ago seems to suggest that they're beginning to look at Life After Brett.

What I WOULDN'T do is go on an uninformed rant in the way that you have.

I just don't understand where you could formulate something that is just so wrong and illogical, then attack somebody who points out the flaws in your theory.

I just don't understand where you could attack other posters for speculating on a situation that would not only be perfectly legal within the CBA, but when a very similar incident occurred on the same freaking team less than 6 months ago. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

I just want one shred of anything that has happened in the history of the NFL that makes you think he could be traded for a draft pick. That's all. One.

Or you don't even need to leave this thread for an example, Tebucky Jones was a NE DB given the franchise tag with the sole purpose of trading him. :D

So history shows us the only time the Patriots franchised a DB, they traded his rights for draft picks.

Are you related to Seahawk37 or something?

I could be wrong, but Abraham wasn't traded across for a first rounder was he????? Wasn't Denver's pick involved?? I think the 31st pick is the only one that actually got lost, so maybe you do have a point. Either way, Abraham had been a force in the league for a handful of years, not one. What they get for Tebucky Jones?? A first round pick??? Deion Branch was a Super Bowl MVP, and if anything proves it to be stupid to do such a trade. Branch also would not garner near the money Samuel is looking for. You guys are reachin' here, I do give you props for kind of finding an example though. As far as the Favre thing, you really do prove my point. I guess you really can formulate whatever off the wall, ludacris scenario you can think of. Doesn't mean it has any chance of happening.

I could be wrong, but Abraham wasn't traded across for a first rounder was he????? Wasn't Denver's pick involved?? I think the 31st pick is the only one that actually got lost, so maybe you do have a point. Either way, Abraham had been a force in the league for a handful of years, not one. What they get for Tebucky Jones?? A first round pick??? Deion Branch was a Super Bowl MVP, and if anything proves it to be stupid to do such a trade. Branch also would not garner near the money Samuel is looking for. You guys are reachin' here, I do give you props for kind of finding an example though. As far as the Favre thing, you really do prove my point. I guess you really can formulate whatever off the wall, ludacris scenario you can think of. Doesn't mean it has any chance of happening.

Since you haven't figured it out yet, this isn't a forum for re-hashing the obvious.

I'd say that the Pats have a better shot of dealing a franchise-tagged Samuel for a first-round pick than the Seahawks do of winning a Super Bowl with their aging offense and mediocre defense. :D

lol I meant after I write this last tidbit. In the previous cases (Branch, Abraham, Jones) the hand was shown. We knew Abraham and Branch were holding out and would probably be traded. We knew Jones would be traded. Nothing of this nature comes from Samuel. Heck, I'll give you 100-1. Can't pass that up can ya??

Edited by Seahawks21

Go ahead and write whatever garbage you want, I'm gonna shift my focus to scenarios that actually have a chance of coming to pass.

So, does this mean that you're not going to continue to argue like a raging retard, while the other participants in this thread laugh at your arrogance and stupidity? :D

So, does this mean that you're not going to continue to argue like a raging retard, while the other participants in this thread laugh at your arrogance and stupidity? :D

My arrogance and stupidity?? Laugh all you want, you know I'm right.

My arrogance and stupidity?? Laugh all you want, you know I'm right.

You're right about what? The chances that Belichick will deal a franchise-tagged Samuel for a first-round pick to be below 50%? Well, here's a cyber-cigar, buddy, because I actually agree with you there! :D

Too bad that you were completely WRONG about there being "no precedent" for such a deal, Mr. 99%. :D