[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stokley going to be cut

tonyr0802

Good talent, but fragile.

+1

yep, no news here really. They need a decent WR3 though; Moorehead aint it. In fact they're surprisingly thin at WR, esp w/Harrison getting up there.

Thankfully, they don't use a ton of 3-WR sets. Dallas Clark is essentially their third receiving option and he often lines up in the slot when they do. I don't see them re-signing Proehl, either. They'll probably sign a mediocre FA and use Moorehead as their #3 for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this quote that Stokley made about getting cut... :D

"I wasn't surprised at all. I was hoping they wouldn't, but I probably would have done the same thing if I was them. That's part of the business, part of the game. I've seen it done a lot of times being around the league eight years. The time that I spent in Indianapolis was probably the best four years of my life. The city was great. The organization was awesome. I can't complain or say one bad thing about Indianapolis and the organization." -- WR Brandon Stokley on having his contract terminated by the Colts and his thoughts about his time in Indianapolis.

Class act :D

Thankfully, they don't use a ton of 3-WR sets. Dallas Clark is essentially their third receiving option and he often lines up in the slot when they do.

They use the RB in the passing game extremely effectively too. Ask the Bears. :D

:D

Class act :D

Yup. It's nice to see that every now and then instead of talking trash about your former team or throwing a hissy fit when you feel under-appreciated and the team doesn't resign you under a contract.

I guess this is a sign that Smith's hip will not be ready for the season. Okay, Denver has added plenty of offensive help, now lets work on the defense for goodness sakes.

Hell, they can't even find the DT they signed to get him to take a physical.

1 year contract in the NFL = make good contract.

I wouldn't be rushing off to any waiver wires to grab him as a possible #2 WR for Cutler...

So does this mean that Rod Smith is getting cut? I'd hope not, as I don't think that Stokley can hack it as a #2 anymore... even when he's healthy.

Stokely will never be the #2 for them. Brandon Marshall is the #2. Stokely is #3 only if Smith can't go, otherwise, he's a 4.

my guess is that's correct, except if rod is healthy i wouldn't count him out as the #2 just yet. it may be a situation where rod "starts" and maybe even plays more downs, but marshall catches more balls.

one thing i like about this though is it forces rod, marshall and stokely all to compete and earn their spot on the pecking order, however that shakes out.

How long does it take to recover from a torn Achilles? He tore it pretty late in the year . . . will he be ready by training camp?

The problem with Stokely is that as soon as the current injury heals, it will only be 2-4 games before the next one.

How long does it take to recover from a torn Achilles? He tore it pretty late in the year . . . will he be ready by training camp?

I seem to remember Isaac Bruce and Mike Brown playing full (or mostly-full) seasons after tearing theirs, but perhaps my memory is incorrect. The degree of the tear is also a consideration.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Bruce had a hamstring tear, not an Achilles.

Edited by Bill Swerski

my guess is that's correct, except if rod is healthy i wouldn't count him out as the #2 just yet. it may be a situation where rod "starts" and maybe even plays more downs, but marshall catches more balls.

one thing i like about this though is it forces rod, marshall and stokely all to compete and earn their spot on the pecking order, however that shakes out.

It might also force Walker to fight for his #1 spot.

In Cutler starts last year:

Walker 18 catches for 230 yds & 2 TDs

Marshall 14 catches for 233 yds & 1 TD

This could be a return to the Smith/McCaffrey days when they were WR #1A/#1B and both guys put up big numbers. If that's the case, watch for the running game to really take off again, too. The years when Shanahan generates a lot of passing yardage also coincides with when the running game puts up big numbers also.

I think Stokley could do pretty well running out of the slot for DEN, as well as Smith in the same situation. Stokley makes for a tough matchup with his speed, and Smith would be a tough matchup with his savvy. With Stokley's injury problems and Smith age, splitting time there could really benefit both, even though both would be useless in FF (like they were worth anything last year).

It would also make DEN that much more diverse, with their 2 TE set & 3 WR set both being completely credible and complimentary to their base O based upon the personnel on the field.